• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Senate: Defeated #112 [Senate/YE38 IRC] - Ratifying: DATASS

Luca

The Ultimate Badass
🎖️ Game Master
Kyoto, Reikan Park, A Cafe in the Park
Winsbury was eating lunch at a cafe, watching the proceedings of the YE 38 International Relations Conference. It'd been a few months since his whirlwind encounter with the ISC Phoenix - and he wasn't sure what to make of them. For selling out Yotsuyuki and all of her plans, he got to move ahead. She was always seen as an extremist anyway, and he'd grown tired of being the senator who rallied so hard against organisations like the ISC Phoenix - and having to explain his thoughts since his bacon publicly saved by them.

The antipode had him in a funk for the following months, and he'd been open about it to some of the other senators, even those across the bench of his views. He was re-evaluating his life choices in the Yamataian senate. All the deals he had to make, the things he was passed over. Winsbury didn't feel his vote was counted on the wider issues concerning Yamatai. All the while, inconsequential things for Albini were rubber stamped in an attempt to keep him quiet.

He could only be thankful that someone as spineless as him (so he felt) was put here, to be a pigeon. Trusting Yotsuyuki was a mistake, but he'd gotten the drop on her without having to think for himself. He felt ... guilty of not taking more control of the situation on Albini those months back. Something on the TV caught his attention as he was sipping his coffee.

"...However the senate has never reformed since the attack and the nation of Nepleslia has been run by its military since YE 32, in full violation of their own constitution.

Therefore, since the treaty was never ratified, Nepleslia cannot be considered a member of the defence alliance and the treaty has not become legally binding to any and all members of the treaty.

Furthermore, Yamatai signed the treaty under the impression that Nepleslia was a fully-qualified member and, as demonstrated above, this was not the case. Because the treaty was signed under false pretences, we question whether Yamatai's signature can be considered valid.
Winsbury stopped sipping his coffee, raising an eyebrow.

Additionally, the senate of Yamatai has failed to ratify the treaty as required by section 6, and and therefore cannot be considered a signatory.

In conclusion, neither Nepleslia nor Yamatai should be considered signatories as they have not fulfilled the terms of joining, and the treaty should be considered null and void."
Winsbury nearly spat his coffee out in incoherent rage, restraining himself only because he had a guest. He swallowed it and put his cup down with a slam.

"Did you just hear that correctly?" He asked the other senator, getting up and dragging their briefcase with them and leaving his sandwich behind. "I'm going to the senate - got some policy on the run to enact-!"

The red-headed, newly christened Senator of Jiyuu was still staring at the TV with a look of disbelief on her face at the words that had come out of Taisho Yui's mouth, letting them replay in her mind a few times to verify that they did indeed occur. Mochizuki Shiori then nearly dropped her teacup onto the table as well, only barely recovering in time without spilling it everywhere. "She did really say it. DATASS is null and void, just like that?" The Peacekeeper jacket top she wore loosely over her bodysuit followed the motion as she pointed angrily at the video display in the distance. "And laying the blame at our feet, of all things?"

"No! We need to do something! Whether we get rolled over by Yui or her patsies in the Senate is irrelevant," Winsbury seemed determined to see this through, all to the bitter end. With no credibility to lose, he had everything to gain and no reason not to venture out. "I need to spearhead this!"

Shiori also arose from the chair with her portfolio in hand, as she watched the Nepleslian head off in the direction of the Palace chambers with an unusual vigor (at least as long as the junior Senator had know him). She frowned and grumbled, "I sure didn't come all this way to be written off, just like that..." There was the odd sense of deja vu, however, as she paid the bill for the both of them and walked in that direction with a darker look about her features. She recalled a moment much like this one when events leading up to the UOC rebellion started with a similar slap in the face of democracy... but would others in the chamber share their outrage enough to act?

-

Everybody was out to lunch and they were starting to come back while others had never left. They were watching their datapads incredulously and discussing with colleagues what'd gone down at the Relations conference. The speaker of the house was calling for order, quick to chide Winsbury for not taking his seat quietly despite the chaos already. "Mochi, head to your seat, back me up on this-" Winsbury's parting words with the Jiyuuian during the rush.

"Ladies, gentlemen, the member for Albini wishes to bring an item before the senate for ratification, signed in YE36 by Premier Yuumi between Nepleslia and the Lorath." Senator Winsbury introduced the treaty that was being dragged across the coals by the Royal Family. "The Defence Arrangement Treaty of the Alliance of Signatory States. Also known as DATASS, or DATA. This treaty was intended to unify the three major powers in the Kikyo Sector. Yamatai, Nepleslia, and Lor."

Senator Mochizuki shouldered her way past the security, giving a nod to Winsbury as she found her seat in the chamber. "You know I never stay silent on anything, especially something like this," Indeed, the newly created (or rather reclaimed) seat for the representative of Jiyuu system was particularly far away from the center of the chamber, and carried with it a certain stigma with the older politicians who knew the days back before the Motoyoshi-led rebellion. But the former Peacekeeper officer was no slouch, plopping down in it with an air of command like it was one of her logistics starships.

Her datapad was quickly in her hand, as Shiori swiped away all the legislation that she had been intending to introduce concerning PAINT system overhauls and expansions, and port of entry regulations for the Yamatai-Lor border at Siren... But none of these things could happen without the treaty that filled her screen in seconds first being salvaged from the Star Army mistress' brutal, bureaucratic attack.

"The senate needs to make a decision on this treaty. When it was first introduced, ratification was promised after sixty days of reading time." Winsbury reminded his peers, looking about and dabbing his bald brow with a handkerchief. Something about the limelight burnt today. "The item was simply never tabled, thus after initial novelty and buzz, no ratification - or rejection ever occurred on the legislation, though many groups in the three states, and beyond, have been assuming that the treaty was in effect for the past two years. Some of our own plans on matters such as international relations, galactic infrastructure, or trade may be severely disrupted by this winding back."

No sooner had he mentioned the words 'infrastructure' and 'international relations', the fiery-haired woman representing Jiyuu spoke up to join her voice with his. "I concur with the Senator from Albini. This delay on a matter of such wide-ranging galactic import is simply unacceptable. And perhaps even suspiciously convenient..." Shiori paused and glanced around the chamber to let the veiled accusation sink in. "Nevertheless, we cannot sit idly by and be made to look like incompetent fools. MY home system's security hinges on such treaties being honoured."

When an appropriate length of silence had passed, Winsbury followed up with what to do: "I move to Ratify DATASS and its terms within, with the member for Jiyuu. We shall put this to vote, the usual way." He spelled out how this was going to go down, in that fatherly tone he was known for. "Vote Yea, Nay, or Abstain on the treaty." So far, two Yeas had spoken up, but more Senators needed to voice their opinions. Silence was not going to do the treaty's chances any favours. Winsbury hoped they'd come together instead of rolling over like they were always suspected of doing.

Coffee, a croissant packed with 'Flippy The Dolphin's Friendly Fish - Cruelty Free Certified Yamataian Tuna' with lettuce, and a copy of the Asurian Free Press, those were the components of the Asurian senator's lunch, which he chose to eat just outside if the senate chambers, not far from his work. His way of eating, the way he remained close to his job, and his salaryman style attire spoke volumes on behalf of the Asurian senator, who had been stuck with a very sour situation ever since the Iromakuanhe incident, a sour situation which was apparent upon his features; he was haggard, he looked it ever since. It was only inevitable though, due to the number of corporate powerhouses which were breathing down his neck, and not so subtly threatening life and livelihood. He could honestly not blame them, after all, the legal, political, and military situation on Asura had become a breeding ground for corruption, and that was what led to a purge which had been underway ever since Fujiwara Miu appointed some sort of monster from SAINT to carry out active purges of corporate corruption in the Yamatai held portions of the Yugumo Cluster.

Frayed nerves caused the Asurian senator to fumble his vacuum container of coffee, as the senators from Albini and Jiyuu stormed past. Admittedly, he cared more about the senator from Jiyuu, since he saw the senator as something of an ally, with a shared history, and to see the senator in such a state was enough to hurry the Asurian senator back into chambers, with his lunch half-eaten and stuffed away in a small container in his briefcase.

---------

Another symptom of the Iromakuanhe incident was what unfolded before him as the senator from Albini spoke of the situation at hand, another symptom of a situation which was rapidly becoming untenable, and would undoubtedly boil-over. Worse, the Asurian senator knew that if relations were strained any further, his constituents; the remaining corporate powerhouses on Asura, would immediately find themselves in the middle of the breakdown, literally, due to Asura's place along the Yamatai-Lorath border. Sure, some of the arms companies would get a kick out of the situation, but they were far more pleased with the prospect of outfitting a multi-national taskforce, a business venture which was far less likely to end up with any factories being vaporized by aether fire, or a barrage from a Lorath Gatling weapon.

With the best interests of his own hide in mind, as well as the interests of those back home, the salaryman-senator vouched his support; "Yea. Asura is in support of treaty ratification."

Gunther Bordolf the Senator for Daichi chose to speak.

"Perhaps my fellow Senators forget the circumstances under which this Treaty was forced upon Yamatai. It was two years ago at the IRC that both Lor and Nepleslia made it all to clear that they blamed Yamatai for the Second War with the Mishhuvurthyar. So much so that they were prepared to ask for reparations. Ones that were so outrageous that it was clear that they were trying impact our currency's stability. Then trying to appear as the Bastions of Peace the present Premier Yuumi with the treaty that you propose to ratify.

I do not believe that a treaty accepted under duress should be ratified. There is no other word for the situation, it was clear to anyone who looks at the footage. Pay the two supposed Signatures an astronomical sum and damage our economy, or sign a treaty that was never ratified by the second party.

Perhaps that may be in part why Yuumi never brought this forward. It does not really matter.

It has already been stated for the public record by Ketsurui Yui, that it was never in fact a ratified treaty by us, and not by Nepleslia. Since the condition of the treaty requires Nepleslia's Senate to Ratify it. That can not be accomplished. So this treaty is invalidated. Because there is no Senate in Nepleslia, and there has been no sign of that changing.

I also have to wonder if this sudden call to ratify a treaty that Yuumi never saw fit to present, as an attempt to try to embarrass Yui in a public forum.

Now I am not opposed to peace, but not this treaty.

Daichi votes Nay on this treaty.

We further suggest, that an alternative would be to seek a new treaty that is worked out and agreed to by the various parties, not one worked out in private by two and forced on third."

Kotori's quantum-communicated volumetric projection gave a sigh.

"Planet Kotori must also vote Nay to the ratification of the DATASS treaty," she said reluctantly.

"I do not condone the way Yui-Taisho presented us considering the treaty void, for we had far more honorable reasons aside from bureaucractic legislature to consider this being the case," Kotori grimly stated. "Yamatai was there for the alliance and we backed our side of the bargain, but they returned little. Essentially, their bluff has been called. There is no saving it anymore."

However, she placed her hands over her podium and raised her voice to state: "However, this does not mean that peace and fellowship with our neighbors should be abandonned. Yui-Taisho presented a willingness to establish other treaties. Like Daichi, Planet Kotori supports that we take advantage of that, revisit the DATASS treaty as it was, and renegociate from it something new that will secure both peace and our own interests. If the other nations do care about peace, they will have to accomodate us. They have been given the benefit of the doubt and we played this their way. It is our time now."

Hanako connected to the senate. "While I am strongly in favor of continuing the peaceful relationship we've had with Lor and Nepleslia over these last two years, we need a better system of treaties that allows us to set our own conditions on a per-nation basis. The DATASS treaty, besides being named terribly, has essentially made other nations like the Hidden Sun Clan into outsiders and disrupted the Star Army of Yamatai's ability to defend the empire properly. We should never need the permission of the Lorath or Nepleslians to go to war. For that reason, I vote NO on the ratification."

Yuumi's volumetric image, appearing behind the top pulpit of the Senate chamber, reflected her exasperation. It was slightly fuzzy on the edges, with pixellation around her hands as she gripped the lectern.

"I applaud the Senator from Albini bringing us together on such short notice, on an issue about which I feel so much passion. It's important that we speak on these matters whenever we can."

She paused. "However, I feel that I have done a disservice to you all by not laying out how this grand body fits into the treaty. This oversight is inexcusable, I apologize for it, and I will correct it now."

A large projection of the treaty appeared before her, big enough for all the senators to see — as well as the cameras recording the emergency session. Each senator got a small version next to them.

"Two clauses are applicable." The image panels scrolled down to the bottom. "The least of these is No. 37:

37. Signatories may only leave the Treaty at the end of its duration or with the consent of all Signatories, subject to a one year notification in advance.
"We are not able to simply remove ourselves from the treaty so quickly, as the Star Army Mistress desires. If the other signatories agree to our exit, we must wait until this time next year to fully realize it. The conflicts in which our Empire finds itself cannot be faced alone until that time, unless our military asks for permission to do so."

She paused again, eyes sweeping the chamber.

"But it is higher up — " the panels scrolled near the top " — where this body finds its purpose with the treaty."
6. Once this Treaty is ratified by the Signatory’s own legislative bodies, all the terms of this Treaty become equally binding on all Signatories.

Yuumi let everyone read it, perhaps more than once, before she again spoke.

"This clause suggests that our Senate must approve the treaty before it goes into effect. That is a fair, but inaccurate reading."

Yuumi's pause carried the weight of a star. "The language does not, at any time, specify what 'legislative bodies' are. That was by design, as each of the alliance's nations have unique governments. The treaty assumes future signatories will not have governments like those of the founding signatories.

"Which is where our constitution — " the panel changed over to Yamatai's constitution " — becomes controlling. Specifically, the powers imbued into the throne of our Empress, may her reign be long and just, and to me."
THE EMPEROR OR EMPRESS OF YAMATAI
The Emperor or Empress of Yamatai is the senior leader of the Empire and personifies the will of the state. It is his or her duty to work to keep the Empire true to the ideals of the Constitution. The Emperor or Empress serves until such time he or she sees fit to resign, or is no longer able to serve.

The powers and responsibilities of the Emperor of Empress of Yamatai are as follows:

1. The power to approve or veto proposals created by the Imperial Senate;
  2. The power to approve or veto treaties created by the Imperial Premier;]
THE IMPERIAL PREMIER
The Imperial Premier is the executive director of the government’s various departments and moderator of the Imperial Senate, ensuring there is compromise and fairness. She is a liaison between the State and the People. The Imperial Premier is an elected position with a five year term, with elections occurring on years ending in 0 or 5.

The powers and responsibilities of the Imperial Premier of Yamatai are as follows:

1. The Imperial Premier is vested with the power to conduct foreign affairs on behalf of the Empire and to create treaties with other nations, subject to approval by the Emperor or Empress of Yamatai.
"Our constitution makes clear that the Senate has no part in the drafting or approving of treaties." Yuumi let that sink in, understanding that Yui was watching, listening and probably grinding her teeth.

"I did not bring this treaty before this grand body because the constitution does not tell me to do so. Instead, I took it to the Empress, who in her great wisdom and in accordance with her goals, approved it. She and I are the Empire's 'legislative bodies' in this matter.

"Therefore, this body need not further concern itself with this matter. Instead, it is our neighbors to the south that need to formally ratify this treaty."
https://stararmy.com/roleplay-forum...rence-of-ye-38-day-1.19299/page-3#post-273810
Yuumi once more looked on at the chamber.

"I hope this helps this grand body as it deliberates."

Her image winked out.

"We are not able to simply remove ourselves from the treaty so quickly, as the Star Army Mistress desires. If the other signatories agree to our exit, we must wait until this time next year to fully realize it. The conflicts in which our Empire finds itself cannot be faced alone until that time, unless our military asks for permission to do so."
"I remind the Imperial Premier that Yamatai was never really a part to this treaty, and therefore we are not subject to the year-long exit period," Hanako pointed out. "The Empress has veto powers on all legislative bills voted on by legislative branch, treaties or not. It is my understanding that the Empress never approved nor vetoed this treaty because the senate was yet to vote on it, and the reason the senate had to vote was because the treaty required it. The senate is clearly the legislative body in question."

Kotori could not bash at her lectern in frustration, so instead she snapped toward Yuumi's lectern. "What is this, notifying the other delegations that we are debating this live?" Her voice echoed with dry anger. "Kindly let us at least retain face by not airing our dirty laundry!"

The black-haired nekovalkyrja senator's breath hissed in and out as she reigned her anger. "I am going to make this simple. We are at an impasse. We can debate all day, or let Himiko-denka's will be made known. If Mistress Taisho Ketsurui Yui's represensation of our intentions concord with her will, she can make it known right here and now." There was no way the Empress was not currently paying attention . "Besides that, it is my recommendation to this body that instead of bickering, we deal with the situation we have been given and make it so to frame a competitive counter-proposal be worked on and ready to be presented to them."

"Let us make sure that they know our commitment to peace and fellowship has not wavered, as soon as possible. We have been given a chance to re-negociate it. Let us take advantage of that. As I aluded to before, the other signatories, even if the treaty had truly gone into effect, have not been holding their end of the bargain. This was void, one way or another. Let us make something better."

Last edited:
When the emergency gathering had been called, it had oddly enough been the first instance of official duty that Tofuku Rin had to respond to in her so far mayfly career. The Nekovalkyrja's small form leisurely floated through the air, legs tucked up behind her under the edge of her shimmering summer themed kimono, with a box of chocolates comfortably held under one arm she made her way over to her seat with little fanfare. Settling in place, she listened to Senator Winsbury's declaration of the purpose of their meeting, and immediately found herself curious as to what the responses would be, as well as what might be tried by those present.

The near immediate support from the Senator representing Asura was to be expected, being a border world, and one that to her knowledge was not particularly in line with the core worlds of the Empire their people potentially had the most to loose from the dissolution of the Alliance Treaty, especially given the news reports of increased pirate activity in the region.

The representative of Daichi simultaneously demonstrated a staunch fervour in support of the Empire's stated goals, and a curious blindness to the circumstances that had created them. After all Lor and Nepleslia, had indeed been unwilling participants dragged into Yamatai's war with the NMX. She remembered the shift in the war when the other two powers joined the conflict, and the almost universally cold receptions that the ad-hoc multinational forces afforded each other. No one had been happy with the arrangement that had brought them together.

The argument of impacting the Kikyou Satsu was an odd one, given that the state of the Yamatai Star Empire's markets were largely artificial and carefully controlled by government sanctioned pricing and an abundance of goods that made a traditional economy moot. If anything the value of their currency was habitual rather than functional, an outside force had no means of causing a detrimental effect on the market short of physically destroying industry. Of course now wasn't the time to argue over the semantics of their currency.

Beyond this assertion, to her knowledge the treaty that Yamatai signed into was initially done so to make Yamatai a part of an agreement initially intended solely for Nepleslia and Lor. To that end, Yamatai was only forced to participate by wanting to participate at all, the Premier had taken a chance to forge stronger international relations by willingly stepping into a less than ideal arrangement. As the results had shown, it had actually benefited the Empire, with fewer resources dedicated to defending against their nearest neighbours, and increased trade across the Empire. It seemed dishonest to say that the arrangement had truly hurt the Empire.

Next was the response made by Ketsurui Kotori, another response that while understandable in her support of her Clan, left some questions hanging when it came to the mention of a bluff, or the mention of returning something. Yamatai to her knowledge had requested nothing of their allies, merely communicating threats. As she was not well versed in the international sphere of politics having only recently joined the stage, Rin had to accept that this was likely a finer point that she would have to look into later.

Ketsurui Hanako, as well showed fidelity to her Clan and Mistress, though the sentiment echoed the idea supporting the continued state of peace was one that was worth taking note of. No matter how poorly the cessation of the treaty had gone, the desire to maintain positive relations was consistent even if it was not clear whether it was genuine or not for the moment, only action would clear that up.

Another point of note raised by Kesurui Hanako was that of needing to ask permission to wage war against threats. This was a point that would need to be carefully addressed when spoken on, though thankfully one that would be fairly easy to handle.

Then came the response from the Primier Ketsurui Yuumi, showing that not all was unanimous in the Ketsurui Clan with her explanation of the terms of the constitution and how they applied to the present situation in the IRC. According to the law as explained by the Primier, Ketsurui Yui-Taisho's reasoning wasn't quite accurate given that the Premier held the power to produce a treaty without the need of the senate. Though at the present point in time that they found themselves at, the circumstances were moot.

All in all the Ketsurui response was to be expected, and Tofuku Rin made a small note to address what had been said by Ketsurui Kotori. After all it would be important for saving face and avoiding the perceived embarrassment.

With the quiet hiss of shifting silk, Tofuku Rin stood before addressing the senators gathered with a bow, "Forgive the tardy introduction, I am the newly appointed representative of the Veronica system, Tofuku Rin."

The small coal skinned Nekovalkyrja paused a moment, her emerald eyes screened by a fringe of bright red hair danced over those gathered before she continued in a pleasantly soft voice, "It seems that we have reached something of an impasse with regards to our opinions on the proposition made by Senator Winsbury. I would like to give my opinion and perhaps lend a new perspective to recent events.

"Where you might see a man trying to strong arm his political agenda through the Senate, I see a patriot dedicated to his position. Doing everything he can to ensure the continued safety and prosperity of the people that he has been entrusted with the responsibility of caring for. When Senator Winsbury presented this motion it was done with the desire to ensure that the people of our Empire need not fear war, famine, or death at the hands of those who are willing to be our allies.

"Surely you must have been shocked yourselves to learn that those we thought were our allies, were in fact not joined to our great Empire through a truce honoured by all parties. It is a jarring thought to come to terms with, no longer being able to take comfort in the knowledge that we are surrounded by allies. As such I can not begrudge the Senator for attempting to rectify what was no doubt seen as an unpleasant shock.

"You may say that this meeting of the senate being televised is 'airing of dirty laundry' however I see this as a heartfelt example that there are those among us who would strive for peace and prosperity over needless conflict even if it means speaking out against our leadership. It is a genuine display of the desire for peace among the citizens and leadership of our Empire, one that I can only look upon with respect and I can not imagine anyone seeing it differently.

"This display is important to show our friends in the international community, after all despite the insistence of some who would prefer to forget, we do not have a clean history. In the past we have been the oppressor, or villain on the interstellar stage. The action taken today in the senate and the willingness to share it with our friends on the interstellar stage shows that we as a society are trying to change that. This shows that despite our blemished history that we are trying to move forward and right the wrongs that have been made, choosing to act with wisdom and strength and not ashamed to show that we have differing views.

"Despite this important showing, it is unfortunately clear that we have already passed the point of no return, and scorned our allies. No matter how well meaning Ketsurui-Taisho's intentions, we have attempted to back out of the treaty in a way that is less than honest. At this point it is imperative that we work to amend this poor impression. Rather than trying to save what is at this point a discarded document we should be spending our time drafting up a better alternative. One that will show without doubt that despite the poor way of bringing it up that we truly do desire continued peace and as the Taisho has expressed. That we do not desire to drag our allies into needless conflict, but that we also desired the continued prosperity and mutual peace that we have enjoyed since the treaty was proposed. It should be in all of our interest to make a strong showing that we want to improve circumstances in the international community rather than merely settle into a position that is more comfortable for us the short term.

"What we have now is an opportunity to show that even when mistakes have been made, that we can move forward head held high, and work to make amends. After all there is no shame in making mistakes so long as one takes the time to learn form them and improve. It is my opinion that now is such a time where instead of pretending to be free of flaws, that we demonstrate our willingness to mend, and strengthen. So that we may all live in a Yamatai that we can be proud of."

Casting her gaze across those gathered one last time Tofuku Rin, idly brought a hand up shifting her amaranth red hair to the left side of her onyx horn fully revealing her right eye. Then, more solemnly she spoke, "While it is clear to me that given present circumstances the Defence Arrangement Treaty of the Alliance of Signatory States is not salvageable, I can not in good conscience with the knowledge of the wishes of the populace that I represent vote nay to this proposal. As such the Veronica system chooses to abstain on this vote."

Her thoughts made clear, and her desire to move toward building a better foundation for the future unarguable, Tofuku Rin gently settled herself back into her seat. Taking a steadying breath she smiled to herself amazed that the familiar thrill of an engagement could be found in a room occupied by allies. Perhaps the senate was not so dull as friends had warned.

Mochizuki Shiori leaned back in her seat and steepled her hands, listening to the arguments made by some who voted nay against the treaty's ratification. The former military officer had to admitthat elder Senator Bordolf and the freshman from Veronika raised good points as well. But what largely sealed the deal was the Imperial Premier's timely appearance and laying down how the constitution applied in this case to Yuumi's powers and that of the Empress as being those binding over such interstellar agreements. Still, this was not entirely so open and shut as it now appeared...

The short, red-headed Senator of Jiyuu raised her voice to the assembly. "While I thank you, Yuumi-sama, for clearing up the matter of why this was not brought before the Senate since it was not required by law to do so ... and I do respect the Empress's wishes on this topic of course, as her powers are as such enumerated... but there is one major diplomatic stumbling block that must be untangled in order to go forward with drafting a new, replacement treaty that would protect our borders and ensure a new cold war does not break out amongst the major powers without the check and balance of DATASS."

Shiori tapped the datapad a few times and projected onto the screen for all to see. "May I submit before the assembled, point #41 of the Defense Arrangement Treaty of the Alliance of Signatory States:"

41. Signatories are not to enact any legislation or enter in any treaties which may conflict with any terms of this Treaty or allow a Non-Signatory to benefit from this Treaty.

The Jiyuuian glanced about to some of her colleagues before continuing. "Assuming that both Nepleslia and Lor still consider themselves Signatories to this treaty and bound by its laws... and, now that Yamatai has garnered the status of a Non-Signatory by pulling out of the agreement... getting these nations to enter into new, bi-lateral arrangements more favorable to Yui-taisho's military adventurism will be substantially more difficult, if not outright impossible with this provision in place."

As these words sunk in, the Senator pressed a glowing purple jewel on the back of her hand that was connected to many fine, golden lines that ran through the armlet that was shaped like a dragon. Her Peacekeeper Personal Communicator came to life as she delivered a telepathic message over a secure line to her assistant, <"Get on the horn to the Lorath embassy and LSDF liaison, and tell them I need to arrange a meeting as soon as this business is done.">

"Outright impossible," Kotori echoed. She nonchalantly closed one eye as she used the other to stare at Mochizuki. "Is that not their problem?"

"This goes too much in how the other nations should be run, which I frankly think is not our purview," the senator of planet Kotori shrugged. "We bent backward for them last time. If they like the peace and fellowship they have earned with us, they can bend backward this time around. If they refuse to do so on principle, we can just have the offer on the table, make treaties with other nations in the meantime, and let that simmer for awhile."

"You're missing the purpose of that point." The assertion was quiet, if a little weary. "That point was included in the Treaty to prevent the creation of a web of non-aggression pacts, treaties, and agreements from forming that would make a political mire for all parties involved." Senator Tofuku paused a moment before proposing, "Imagine a scenario in which say we held treaties with both the Kingdom of Neshaten and the Hidden Sun Clan, were the relations between the two nations turn sour and they went to war, we would find ourselves stuck in the middle of a conflict where we would have no clear indication of who we are to aid. Do we help a quiet neighbour who has given us no trouble? Or do we help a secluded ally that we know little about? You casually dismiss these elements as troublesome or tedious, and as being not our problem, however they were written with the intention of preventing the creation of difficult situations for all of us."

Emerald eyes once again took a moment to dance between the senators gathered letting a silence hold for a while before continuing, "If we pursue the goal of 'doing as we please' without any consideration to the consequences we may find ourselves buried in a mass of diplomatic, legislative, and bureaucratic red tape that will make us long for the days that we were forced into a Treaty that gave us years of peace and ended a fruitless cold war between us and our nearest neighbours. As it stands right now we as a nation have disrupted a previously stable peace, and it is our duty to fix it. We have thrown the stability of our people's future into danger, and if we do not act this will mark the beginning of a time of tragedy among our citizens. I can not imagine that any senator in here could rightly face the grieving families of those who many suffer in the wake of our leadership's decision and honestly say that we were in the right. After all it was we who did this, not Nepleslia, nor the Lorath."

Gunther listened to the exchange of views going on. "Actually to be brutally honest, the joining with the Lor and Nepleslia actually put a strain on our relations with the Poku Saeruo Degonjo. We entered into a Treaty with them a year before. One that was based on cooperation and mutual respect. One that was interested in learning about each other and working together. And for the record there was no clause in it that would create the situation you were alluding to. I know for a fact that our betrayal to the spirit and words of their treaty caused their Emissary no small amount of difficulty. And yet, because they truly believe in the purpose of our treaty, respect and cooperation. They continued to honor the treaty, the only change to their demeanor was that they forbade any of their fighting ships from traveling in our space. When their leader was attacked on Yamatai; they once again followed the treaty, and cooperated with our law enforcement agencies.

Somehow I doubt that in a similar situation with Nepleslia and Lor, that they would have been so inclined. I would also suggest that melodrama is not something we need. That Treaty was a bad deal, because once a nation joins it. They are effectively subject to the whims of the other Signatures. We can still have a peace with Lor and Nepleslia. But let it be one based on the purpose of peace, cooperation and respect. Ketsurui Yui even said as much. So the subject of the treaty we were called together for is moot. As the Premier said, we have no voice in its approval, or its removal. So until we receive word from her and her Majesty. I bid you all good day."

Gunther's image gave a bow
to the other senators, and then faded from view.

The sudden departure after the colourful and somewhat biased dissertation by the Senator of Daichi was disappointing to say the least. The most glaring issue being the blatant ignorance in regard to the international relations in question and how they differed between the Hidden Sun Clan, Nepleslia, and Lor. For one their allies to the south had never tasted the bitter fruit of Yamataian oppression and the threat of eradication. Given their blemished shared history it made sense that the leaders of Nepleslia, and the Matriarchy would look very differently upon Yamatai's relations than that of a nation with whom they had only ever engaged with respect and trust aside from the unfortunate ramifications of an international Treaty that had aimed to prevent the outbreak of a bloody war.

Displeased, but accepting that the gathering was over Tokuku Rin kept her bitter comments to herself instead choosing to see how the other senators would respond and make their exits. Hopefully next time they would meet to discuss a subject which was less volatile and be able to work together as an united entity instead of segregated interests.

The one-week voting period has now concluded.

This proposal was rejected 3-2 with the following votes:

Voting YES:

Albini (Winsbury)
Asura (Wolfe)

Voting NO:

Daichi (Bordolf)
Hanako's World (Ketsurui Hanako)
Kotori (Ketsurui Kotori)

Voting to ABSTAIN:

Veronica (Tofuku)

RPG-D RPGfix
Back