Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 September 2024 is YE 46.7 in the RP.

OOC 21st Squadron Discussion

To address defending against an IR seeker, first modern heat seekers – at least all-aspect ones – are equally effective no matter what aspect from the target they are launched at. Second, the doctrine for evading missiles does involve defensive turns, but not one toward the missile. Head-on engagements are much more difficult to escape on, part of why all-aspect seekers are so potent. Moreover, the higher closing speed, in addition to guaranteeing that you cannot outrun the missile, also means that there is considerably less time to judge the missile's movement, speed, etc. and prepare for the defensive turn. The actual advised doctrine for evading involves making a last second (more like four) maximum performance turn to a heading orthogonal (essentially perpendicular) to the missile's vector; this maximizes the odds that the missile will overshoot. For a really great read on missile defense I'd suggest this article: the day three section recounts, in addition to other things, a Major Tullia who successfully defeated six SAMs by defensive maneuver. This is the HUD footage from his evasion. I personally found it fascinating.

Back in the 80's the USAF's heat seeking missiles actually got too accurate at picking up the heat source.

The missiles of the time actually had a tendency to actually fly into the rear end of the missile. The designers actually were rather proud of that, until it became apparent that this was not a desirable event.

Yes, the missiles would fly into the engine and detonate, but this would happen in the last stage of the engine and the engine thrust would actually divert most of the force right back out.

To solve this the missiles programming was updated. If the thermal sensor actually detected that the missile had entered the engine, it would disable the warhead. So instead of exploding in the engine, the missile would literally fly threw the engine and destroy it, and allow the debris from the engine take out the engine.

Nashoba.

Sean, if you learn the use of paragraghs I will be your bestest friend in the whole wide world wide intarwebs.

Considering your modern missile's speed compared to that of most fighter aircraft your chances of outrunning the missile are already pretty f-ing slim. And with SARP's level of uber-tech it wouldn't surprise me if they put a little AI chip in the head of the missile that talks to all the other missiles, and then they all spread out their vectors and work as a team so there's no way for that pesky craft to dodge their way out.

In fact, why aren't those missiles coming back for a second go?

In fact, this being space WHY THE HELL ARE WE DOGFIGHTING ANYWAY? D:

Well, at least there's the comfort in my mind that if I ever want the full knowledge and experience of a real-life, honest to goodness fighter pilot, all I have to do is rely on you, Sean. You're a true pal. ;)

Jimmy,

If you recall, your fighter is currently in the atmosphere. :P

As for dog fighting in space. The concept applies, but with the atmospheric parameters. Ships don't bank and dive because of flight controls. Rather course changes are effected by the directional thrusters, and the position of the fighter and its main engines.

What we are experiencing in space is actually more like a "Dance Party." In that everybody is just kind of evading, popping a shot, evading, and what not. Very chaotic, and unpredictable.

A dog fight as I under stand it is generally two to four fighters knife fighting it.

Also you have to consider the actual fact that no body who has ever been into space has ever actually been into space combat. I figure some literary liberties can be taken on this basis.

Hey, if we wanted absoloutely realistic space combat Uso would be in charge (scary thought).

No offense big U, we still love you. Sometimes..

As some of you might know from my pitiful bleating on IRC, I'm a tad sick. Give me another day or two to get right and I'll try to put a post together. Fortunately with the current speed it seems I won't miss anything.

Received this message from our missing player.

Sean said:
These past three weeks I've had two midterms, two papers, a major in-class speech, and three quizzes. I've been swamped with work and on top of it all, my computer has been broken and in and out of the campus computer help center for this time as well. First it was for a mechanical failure of my harddrive, meaning I lost everything on it, and then for problems relating to not being able to install the OS. Long story short, I've only been able to really see and reply to email on my phone, as I'm doing now. With any luck I'll have my computer back before the weekend, but I honestly have no certain idea, as I have not heard from the technicians yet.

Nash and myself have been in small discussion, and I've decided to caretake Ira Ramirez until his player returns. You may find me pestering you for help on how to act out this character for a while, please lend me your patience while I attempt to play this character the way his creator would have wanted.

For those who don't know Ira has just had a new born baby, and we can only assume he's off being a daddy. Caught in the situation of the player having a valid reason, and yet another NPC I feel this is the best option. Thank you for reading.

I'm working on taking back one of those NPC's, though I have to admit I haven't exactly been following the plot (been a bit busy, but i've recently found myself with more time) So, Bear with me as I try and get back into it. And don't be afraid to correct me or ask me to make edits if I screw up :)

Perfect time to join though, going to have a quick wrap up and then Mission 3 will be starting.

Ok, two bits of information.

FYI...
The 21st has been on Aqueous for about 3 days at the start of the thread.

Equipment available beyond personal gear, check the Mission Equipment and Squadron equipment.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back