• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Approved Submission .57 Zen Arms

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Hello! Let's see if this submission meets the requirements for inclusion in Star Army's lore...
[ ✅ ] 1. The destination URL should be a page in the appropriate namespace and titled lower_case_with_underscores
[ ✅ ] 2. The article is in the appropriate format and article template
[ ✅ ] 3. The article follows our wiki style guidelines, including: No forced line breaks, text after each section header, etc.
[ ✅ ] 4. The article is easily read and free of errors in spelling and grammar
[ ✅ ] 5. Links to other wiki articles are present as appropriate
[ ✅ ] 6. The article fits into the Star Army universe's space opera theme and technology levels
[ ✅ ] 7. Images in the article are hosted on Star Army's wiki and sourced responsibly (contact Wes privately if there's a concern)
[ ✅ ] 8. The article is original and doesn't contain copy-pasted content from other articles.
[ ❌ ] 9. The article complies with Star Army's rules in terms of damage ratings, speed limits, etc.
[ ❌ ] 10. The Faction Manager(s), if applicable, have posted approval for this article in this thread.

Here's some fixes this article still needs:
1. FM approval from @Legix or @Charmaylarg Dufrain
2. Damage Rating fixes

When these fixes are made, please post a reply here so I can re-check the article. Thank you!

The damage rating for this ammunition is a bit high, what kind of weapon is it meant to be fired out of? I've seen .50ish sized rounds doing tier 3, but I'm not so sure they'd be doing much higher. I acknowledge the difference in round size, but I'll need some more info to come to any sort of conclusion/verdict.

Soresu has mentioned this to me and i glanced it over.
This is a round larger than a 12.7x99 (.50 bmg for the layman). and is a step down from a 16mm recoil-less rifle round. Especially while having a core penetration would easily make the larger round T-5 with those ballistics.

tbh tho the heavier ammo wouldnt add any more recoil, So i would advise meeting in the middle and just move the lighter up and the heavier down so both have some moderate recoil.

CO-FM A-ok Stamp for nepland. would be nice to have a weapon to pair it with right off the bat tho to give anyone an example of what to make for it if ye ever get the motivation, Sor~

Just something quick to add in here regarding formatting.

• The formatting of the sections in the article is off as per the warning at the bottom of the page (too few headlines)
  • You may want to consider changing how it is formatted something like, to correct that:
===== Stats =====
Blurb
====.57 Zen Arms APBC ====
Info
====.57 Zen Arm HEIAP ====
Info

The round itself is quite big at 14.8mm (about .58 inches I think) and a case of 119mm (4.6 inches?). I found a comparison video of a round close to these: link here. The one bullet in particular near the end kind of speaks for itself on just how big this sucker is, and what it could potentially do to a chestplate which can't be more than a few centimeters thick on light power armor, to maybe a half inch on a Hostile or less. There are a few videos floating around youtube of people using the 14.5mmx114mm just to give an idea of what it looks, sounds like and can in heavy machinegun or anti-materiel rifles. The standard APBC of the .57 is meant to be a high-velocity, low drag round with a tungsten carbide penetrator housed inside of a steel-jacketed bullet basically a pretty straightforward AP-ballistic capped bullet.

It kind of fills the role of your standard ammo since I didn't make a 'ball' or 'HE' ammunition to potentially to do that job since a 'ball' bullet wouldn't provide the necessary harm needed to inflict reasonable damage to a powered armor opponent. The 'HE' I may one day add, but for now I'm happy with just these two.

When it came to the HEIAP I was inspired by the: Raufoss Mk 211 which is a .50 cal round that achieves the same thing just on a smaller scale. The .57 is more or less a much bigger, beefed up .50 BMG with a decent velocity, energy and variety of effects. You generally don't want to use this against people, even in protective vests or body armor since it is focused on damaging power armor so it'd be a waste on the much more squishy personnel-scaled protection. Recoil wise if you're not enhanced through cybernetics, or someone like a Neko or an ID-SOL wielding it you run the risk of hurting your shoulder even if you're prone and have a bipod. Power Armors I figure since they have a sturdy endoskeleton and strength enhancements they can handle it a fair bit easier.

Though I know I should've made the weapon first, but I wanted to get this sorted before starting in on other things. I plan on making a man-portable Anti-Materiel rifle for non-pa soldiers and the like. Power Armor wise I plan to use it as a rifle round for use on pre-existing Zen Arms PAs and potentially future ones.

I know, I rambled, but I suck at explaining stuff at times so I apologize in advance for this potential quagmire.

EDIT: Thank you for the advice, Andrew, I did as you suggested.

Double EDIT: Like that, @Charmaylarg Dufrain ? Kind of confused me there for a sec.

Last edited:
RPG-D RPGfix
Back