• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Senate: Passed #62 - Species Management Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
RP Date
YE 27
RP Location
Kyoto, Yamatai
I still don't understand why the fleets should be disbanded when they could simply be put into stasis/storage.

My single objection still stands. Even with our large production capabilities, a surprise attack by any foreign war fleets would prove disastrous (for us) if our fleet size was reduced and the war fleets were disbanded. Also, the disbanding of the fleets would mean that many talented and experienced officers would be allowed to return to the civilian sector. That loss could not be replaced in the short term.

I enthusiastically support the other points of the proposal.

My single objection still stands. Even with our large production capabilities, a surprise attack by any foreign war fleets would prove disastrous (for us) if our fleet size was reduced and the war fleets were disbanded. Also, the disbanding of the fleets would mean that many talented and experienced officers would be allowed to return to the civilian sector. That loss could not be replaced in the short term.
Fleets that large are not practical anymore. It's better to have a large number of smaller fleets than a small number of large ones. Plus, the Star Army will keep every neko who wishes to re-enlist.

Around 50-100 of the 3,120-ship fleets and many smaller ones as needed. Really, there's no reason to have a fleet larger than that. Most Star Army ships (and enemy ships) are equipped with the sort of weapons that make large fleets a liability rather than an asset.

For all that I dislike the idea of reducing our offensive/defensive capabilities, the Senate has a point. While I do not condone the destruction of fleets, rather than placing them in storage, I do agree with the integration on nekovalkyrja into civilian society. Why should the neko's fight the majority of our battles, even if that is their purpose? they were created with minds, emotions... let them live, instead of merely engaging in mindless destruction.

Tatiana vote Yes.

I'm inclined to go with Thad and Zack, "homeworld" security is more important. Waste teh SMX first, then worry about adding more races. OR don't bother getting rid of nekos, make them "military" only until the yamataians are done: ie: a draft that mandates all nekos MUST serve until the war's over.

Argument from the Nekovalkyrja World of Hoshi no Iori:
Elysia said:
"Homeworld" security is more important. Waste the SMX first, then worry about adding more races.
First of all, it's the YSSDF's job to protect the homeworlds, not the Star Army's. Secondly, massive fleets really don't defend planets than large ones do. Third, the NH-22 and NH-27 will make fighting the SMX easier (since the SMX can take control over some NH-17 and make them kill each other, as demonstrated in the latest battles). By sticking to old nekos and old fleet doctrine we'd be setting ourselves up for more catastrophes like the SMX battles before.
Tatiana said:
While I do not condone the destruction of fleets, rather than placing them in storage, I do agree with the integration on nekovalkyrja into civilian society.
Actually, it'd be much like the last time we disbanded all the 2,027,505-ship fleets. The ships and many of the nekos would go to storage at HNI Fleet Processing center. The only reason why there ARE still some 2,027,505-ship fleets currently in operation is because those fleets, which had not yet been broken down into smaller fleets were reactivated for emergency purposes. These ships are the last remnants of the old "Grand Star Army" (Imperial Decree 14).
Elysia said:
a draft that mandates all nekos MUST serve until the war's over.
No. While the Nekovalkyrja Re-Integration plan is to have all the future nekos be a part of the Star Army, the idea is for current nekos to have the option of leaving Star Army if and when they want to. The law provides the Star Army ownership of each neko for eight years. After that, the rest of their life is theirs to live. The war could last a long, long time, and we shouldn't risk the rights of an entire species. How would you like it if there was a mandate that all Elysians were going to be slaves to the military? Exactly.

If we have all these ships why aren't they used to combat the SMX instead of spreading ourselves thinner?

They ARE being used to combat the SMX!

Without this plan passing, we're not going to have nekos and military be synonymous. If it passes, then we can have the nekos who want peaceful lives become Yamataians and the warriors stay nekos. From that point, nekos would all fight. If it fails again, we continue to have non-military nekos running around (so long as we don't take away their civil rights to do so).

This proposal would put a sexually-balanced humanity back in the spotlight instead of having the YSE be 90% neko and 90-something% female.

After a lengthy discussion with the representative from Hoshi No Iori, I, the representative of the Fenyar star system, change my vote to yes. After having the deeper workings of the proposal discussed, I have found that my knowledge was flawed.

(OOC: I think Wes is trying to re-shape Yamatai into a more normal, civilian, human planet rather than the "planet of the catgirls". This would allow the RP to appeal to a wider range of potential players without affecting the RP itself much, since the RP would still be centered around military affairs.

Perhaps the Geshrins and the Yamataians could be merged into one species, since they would serve the same purpose... Just a thought.

I've been doing a bit of thinking on the whole military-readiness thing, as it appears to be the deal-breaker with most of the people here. If another major conflict breaks out, say, if the Sentinels come knocking, most of the population can just change back into neko bodies in a rapid-mobilization effort. Whatever happens, the number of combat-ready people on Yamatai will be high for a very long time...

As for the fleet size, there is a classic trade-off between quality and quantity: we could either have massive fleets full of somewhat out-dated ships, or a smaller number of ships being constantly upgraded with the latest tech. Either strategy is valid, but I believe that the Star Army has always aspired to pursue the latter strategy but found itself using the former strategy instead. This proposal, well, proposes to rectify that.

Anyway, just my two cents.)

(I think everyone already knew that. My vote remains no, though I don't know if it counts. I never even got an answer to the question a long time ago about whether this was an IC board or not, because it seems people take it both ways).

(OOC: It's supposed to be IC, but OOC considerations/arguments are usually more important, so I don't believe anyone should get in trouble for being OOC here. That's just me though.)

(What I meant was you stating you were OOC. I don't have any problem with people being OOC on this board, obviously. Some people act like they're IC, or act like they're OOC without stating. Some people used to go between them. I mean is this whole parenthesis stuff necessary? We're getting off topic anyway. My vote = no.)

Voting Began: 30 Jan 2005 05:42 pm
Voting Ended: 02 Feb 2005 05:42 pm

Votes:

Yes: 4 (Fenyar, Hoshi no Iori, Ohara, Tatiana)
No: 2 (Delsauria, Xyainbor)

Result: This proposal passes.

(Note: So there isn't any confusion, let me clarify that this is an In-character board. Also, Tyler's post didn't could as a vote because he never actually stated how he was voting, only what side he was leaning towards. The options are YES, NO, and ABSTAIN. )

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back