• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP A Engineer in the Garage, is Worth Two Mechs in the Hangar.

Jack Pine

RP Date
YE40, 24 hours after 188604 departure.
RP Location
S6S-Anvil: Fabrication bay---->Park
The fabrication bay was a buzz as the automated foundries worked on a new prototype fighter. Techs and engineers moving around as various repair and fabrication tasks were being done. This was just a fleet now after all, and moving technology away from that used of the USO was a long road to independence.

It had been two days since their departure and the attack just before leaving. People were still recovering from the shock of it all, but the work had to go on.

Seraphina stepped into the engineering departments current temporary office. It was little more then a corner of terminals, pads, documents, and coffee cups. All within the scaffold surrounded area with curtain hung for privacy as the numbers for every project and production order were crunched.

The Elysian took a moment to spot her reason for visiting, another elysian woman named Isabelle, or as she had become to know her "Izzy". She quickly stepped around towards the back and only a foot away from Izzy's makeshift desk, "I brought the newest data on the Sparrow like you asked. Rose would have brought them, but she had to deal with a incoming project for our department."

Izzy looked up with a small grin at hearing the familiar voice, "Thanks Sera, glad one of you was able to bring it over for me." She said letting out a sigh as she sat back in the less than optimal chair, "And I'm sure you were glad for the chance to stretch your legs, how is the project coming along anyway?"

"Well the boys in fleet development seem pretty happy with this revision. Those in weapons did a good job on the weapon mounting. It was the electronics and robotics guys who decided to work the AI.in, we in AD&R believe it fits everything we need. It's as fast as the U-1s with a slight increase in performance, and thanks to your department we've cut costs future repair times, and made sure the module system was flawless. The prototype out there will be going through official testing upon completion.", Sera listed off in the only way someone with her boundless energy could. It was as if paragraphs were just another flex of spending that energy. When she had finished speaking, she handed the pad over with a bright smile.

"How's the new office treating ya?"

Izzy nodded along, it sounded like they had really pulled their necks out this time and done a good job. "Sounds like it's coming along well then, as for the office." She swept her arms in a wide arc to show off her temporary office quarters, it was a little more cramped than she was used to and her comfy chair which was made to acommodate her wings was gone too. "It'll do but I really wish I at least had my chair and bed, bet you do too hmm?"

Sera tilted her head, "But your bed is in the captain's quarters. Is it not your liking? I'm sure if you mentioned it, Mr. Pine would have it taken care of. Having to take care of the twins is already a lot in addition work. I do hope you're getting enough rest."

The angel thought on that a little worried, "You know I, or your mother in law would watch them if needed."

"No no it's not horrible don't worry, just me thinking about the one we had before the move, and I know you'd take care of them but I wouldn't want to disrupt your work at such a busy time. Maybe if Jack and I take a weekend off one of these days, I've told him he needs a break before and he keeps telling me 'we'll go next time.'" The winged woman chuckled a little

"Hai, he is rather stubborn. I tell my son the same thing every time I see him. Breaks are important. Mr. Nagato, and Oaklen, could certainly cover for him. Or you could always smack some sense into him.", Sera agreed.

Sera tilted her head again, "speaking of which, your daughter mentioned stopping by later. And when was the last time you yourself had a break, hmm?"

"You know, I don't actually remember to be honest. It has been a while and that's why I'm trying to convince Jack to just, stop, for a weekend so we can recharge for a couple days."

"In a way that should be easier....given recent downsize...He has less to keep track of now.", Sera observed, "And he needs that break too. He's been going full steam for almost 6 straight months now."

Izzy stood up from the chair and stretched her arms and wings as much as she dared to in the cramped excuse for an office. "Hey if you're free we should definitely continue this chat somewhere more comfortable."

"I've already completed my work for the day. You want to change into something comfortable and I'll meet you in the park?", the bird asked, her wings fluttering slightly.

"Sounds good to me, meet you in say. 15?"

"Sure. I see you there.", Sera said before heading out. Walking to her quarters to freshen up.

Issabelle headed back to her room to do the same, after a wardrobe change into something more comfortable and a quick spruce up of her hair she headed back to join Sera at their meeting point in the park. The elsyian looked around trying to find her friend for a moment before finding herself a bench to sit down on, "Man it feels good to get out of the office once in a while." She stretched her arms and wings wide for the first time in days and sat back, sighing.

Sera would show up a few minutes later, also changed into more casual wear. Quickly the bird woman hurried over to the bench, "Sorry! I got a call from my son last minute before heading out the door. I didn't want to miss it so I stayed to take the call."

Isabelle shook her head, "I can definitely understand that don't worry, sometimes I wish we only had a couple of kids so I wasn't constantly worrying about where they all were and what they're doing. But it has definitely been fun and they grow on you, especially when Jack is begging me with puppy eyes to adopt more."

She chuckled remembering when Adria and Adilis had joined their very strange and ever growing family. "So where were we?"

"Talking about breaks I believe. With people on edge after what happened, I don't blame any of them for wanting a break. At least we have this park aboard for even brief breaks.", Sera answered straightening her outfit before taking a seat finally.

"Ah you're right as ever, and yes I agree with you this park certainly has helped to keep morale higher than it could have been. So what about you Sera, feel like getting away for a weekend?"

"I'd like to. To be honest, there isn't a lot for me to do. Usually what I do have, I get done in under an hour.", Sera admitted as she thought about that question.

"But, what would I do for a weekend?", she asked.

"Hmm, well you could go find yourself a man for once in your life, and if you don't like it you can always swap him for a different one." Izzy joked, it felt good to finally have a casual conversation outside of the bustling areas of the ship, the park really was doing wonders. "But to be serious, you don't realise just how much you want a break until you have one, take it from me."

"I'll take your word for it. Hmm, not sure on the first part though.", She said with a smile at the joke, "I've never even considered dating. Why a man specifically?"

"Well obviously because I'm already taken, gosh I feel like a drink all of a sudden but I suppose it's a little early for that. I used a man in the example because... well since I married Jack I haven't ever felt like I could be happier than when i'm with him, as cheesy as it sounds there is something about having a partner, of any kind, that justs makes you feel a little more complete. Does that sound too weird?"

"I don't think that sounds weird at all. I generally bury myself in work, but actually having a lack of it to distract myself with. I admit I do feel lonely sometimes, in a way I hadn't felt before.", Seraphina said as she realized there were things age felt she was missing.

She thought a bit more on it before adding, "To be honest, seeing Sarah stop in to bring Rose lunch and a kiss, makes me a bit jealous. To have someone spend time with, and who comes and sees you."

"Well if you want more work you're welcome to mine anytime!" Izzy laughed a little, covering her mouth to try and calm down, "Well then, seeing as the robot that never stops working is finally feeling lonely we should definitely find you a partner. I've heard that experimenting with no regrets can lead to some interesting outcomes."

Sera raised an eyebrow, "I'm afraid I don't follow on the last bit. What do you mean by "experimenting with no regrets" exactly?"

Izzy tilted her head thoughtfully, "Well it's not something I've ever done much, but I hear others talking about it here and there. And from what I can gather they're talking about finding someone at a bar presumably and then spending the night with them after getting buzzed. I'm sure as a proud scholar of the sciences you know what that implies." She said with a sly wink, she was really taking every chance to finally unwind even if only for a short time.

Sera's wings fluttered ever slightly as her cheeks pinkened. She understood well enough, and it was something she had no experience with. "Oh, uh, yeah I do. Though I don't know the first thing on the matter.", she admitted shyly.

Izzy scooted a little closer and squeezed her friends shoulder, "I'm just messing with you Sera, I don't think I could ever picture you waking up in a bed with a stranger the morning after a party. But there is plenty of good looking guys on the ship, or even girls."

Her eyes narrowed in thought slightly, "Actually, you brought up the fact that I only used a man in my earlier example, now why would that be." The elysian smiled evily at her friend, internally begging for her forgiveness for having so much fun teasing the less knowledgeable girl.

The pink lessened then became darker than before at the question, "Um, well...I don't often look at people in that regard, but when I do.....I do find some of the other women..a-attractive too."

"Ooooh is that so, I bet you have a crush don't you." Isabelle continued, grinning madly at the tomato red bird beside her. "You can tell me, I'll keep it secret."

Seraphina looked uncertain at the question, "Well, t-that's the thing. I haven't found myself....particularly drawn to one person. At least not yet."

"Ah yes I see, well that's perfectly fine I'm sure you'll have a jaw dropper walk by your office soon enough, just remember not to drool in front of them without asking permission first." Izzy chuckled, "I nearly caught Jack doing that several times all that time ago, bet you didn't know he was capable of that did ya." She said, reassuring her friend with an arm over her shoulders.

It only partly calmed the birb's flustered state, "Mrs. Pine-sama! Now you're just being mean.", Sera whined almost childishly.

"I'm sorry Sera, but you just got so red in the face I had to poke you a little more, and you don't always have to call me Mrs Pine you know, espeically when we're just hanging out like this." She replied, Sera was such an odd girl. Always busy with work she almost never seemed human and now here she was getting worked up over who she was attracted to.

"Sorry force of habit and upbringing. Yamatai culture just stuck I guess. I swear I'm not very elysian like some times.", Sera said with a nervous chuckle as she finally began to calm down.

"Neither of us are Sera, if we were we'd be looking down our noses at everyone and pretending we were the biological gods of this world. I don't hate my heritage by any means but I always thought my views were a little different to some of the others back home."

"I wouldn't know. I left home at a very young age. I spent most of my years moving around between family members until the war had ended. Spent too much time studying in yamatai libraries, and not enough at parties."

"Damn straight!" Izza said slapping her leg, mocking the more redneck cultured people who liked to brag about parties and other, acts. "But trust me Sera you would much prefer it here than back home, Elysia is not a horrible place but we stand out from the crowd there."

"I already do. The people here have been like family. And that is something I'm very grateful for.", She said with a smile, "I also came out here because there were actual challenges that came through my work here. We learn far more overcoming obstacles."

"And soon you'll learn to love." Izzy finished with a whispy sounding voice to tease her again.

"I hope so.", Sera said with a smile.

"Did you ever imagine your husband a building an organization when you married him?", she asked curiously.

"Honestly? No, I imagined he'd stay with the skyguard and I'd be the stay at home girlfriend, and now he runs a small nation almost AND wont stop adopting every child he sees, on top of the two we already had."

"But you were an engineer with the skyguard according to what he told me. It almost makes the Skyguard sound lazy, or inactive. And they're great kids, Neera as become quite the young woman, Amit has been a dear even given his condition, Adilis is shy, but so sweet. And Adria, she's got of fiery, but she loves her family, even if she doesn't say it.", Sera commented, both on the odd stay at home girlfriend bit, and Isabelle's children. She had watched them more then a few times, and she had been working to help Amit with his shifting problem.

"I was indeed, but you know Jack, he'd never let me stay in potential danger unless he was with me at all times, it's only recently that I've convinced him I can handle myself." Izzy mused. "As for the kids I do love them to bits, but if we get too many more I might yet end up the stay at home mum." She chuckled.

"I don't think he will. Adopt i mean.", Sera said before quickly clarifying. She thought for a moment, thinking on what had been said, "So what do you think where we're going will be like? I hear we'll be passing through freespacer territory to get there."

"Can't say for sure, but somehow I doubt that there will be any deserts where we end up, I'm kinda hoping for some beaches too but it could also end up being all jungle." Izzy said wishfully.

"Maybe we can build a tropical beach resort.", Sera said with a giggle, "But yeah, hopefully threre will be very little desert."

"Hopefully we'll have real meat, and vegetables that aren't imported there. At this point, i'm sure everyone has a long list of hopes, for what where we're going will be like.", She added after a moment.

"I hope that Sera will find true love and call in sick to stay home with her secret girlfriend one day." Izzy said in a mocking tone while clasping her hands and giggling.

"I swear, I can't take you anywhere.", The girl said chuckling as a bit of pink returned to her cheeks.

"Well you can hardly blame a girl for going a little crazy after spending so long cooped up can ya? But I'm sure you're right, I bet everyone is hoping for something great." The elysian said happily, she had plenty of hopes about their new home including the hope that maybe her husband would stop working himself to death even for one afternnon.

"Seriously though, you absolutely, have, to tell me if you get a girlfriend, and I wanna know all about them!"

"Wait wha? Why?", She said caught off guard by the request, "Why would you want to know that? What if they're shy, or something? You might just give them a heart attack with such excitement."

"Aww, I just wanted to be the first one to know if you finally came out of your shell and found your special someone is all." Izzy said, mock pouting while crossing her arms.

"I..guess..that's fine. Though how Kyle will feel about that person is a concern. He's so shy and frightful, took a while before he was even comfortable around me.", Sera said thoughtfully.

She patted Isabelle on the shoulder as a sort of apology even though she knew she hadn't actually hurt her feelings. The sounds of birds could be heard, yet none could be seen, and in a way it sadned her. Hopefully where they were going would have birds, maybe even exotic ones.

"I could really use a drink, you still want one too?"

"Sera, how long have we been friends now?"

The question was an oddly timed one, but Seraphina curious as to why she asked. "Almost a year now.", She said turning to the woman wondering if there was something on her mind.

Isabelle noticed the look and laughed, "Oh don't look at me like that silly, but a year is plenty of time for you to figure out that I will almost never pass up a drink. Granted carrying around those twins for most of the time probably didn't help, but still!" She said defiantly with another chuckle. "Let's go raid a bar somewhere then."

Sera gave a short laugh at the comment, "Now only if we had a proper bar, but i guess the mess will have to suffice. This ship may have a park and a mall, but a bar seems like a bit much. Kooking up a bunch of people in a starship no matter how big with a large amount of alcohol seems like asking for trouble."

"I hardly use my alcohol credits, so drinks are on me from the dispensery.", She added before standing up and stretching, her rump a little sore from sitting on the hard bench.

"Now that's what I like to hear! I should warn you though, I'm liable to get as annoying drunk as I was pregnant so you better be ready for this, or get super drunk and forget all about it." Izzy said with a mischevious grin. "Lets party!"

In good spirits the two girls would head towards the ship's mess hall.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back