• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

A long time ago, in a- Oh to heck with it you've heard it before.

Torrentwolf

Inactive Member
Hello everyone, Torrentwolf coming to you from system far far away.

I've been coming on and off of Star Army for a some months now to read the various wiki articles. After doing some reading and research I set up my Forum Account a few days ago. I like how the community is both friendly and fun and I love how the level of detail is so vast. I especially love reading the stories told in the events that take/took place in the histories of characters. I've been working on and off on a character since I first found this site those months ago and a couple more in the wings being written however none of them are quite ready to take the plunge with. Hopefully I can finish the first two within a week and get them in ASAP.

I love writing stories and most often I will write a story revolving around my characters (Separate from any role play's they may be in) to flush out details in their back story. Most time my characters have secret goals/motives that won't be revealed until later on. Aside from those I don't have a role playing style.

That's about it on me, I'll get onto finishing my characters and maybe I'll see you guys somewhere in this galaxy.

"Welcome to Star Army! If you have any questions, feel free to ask!" says FrostJaeger, who's now wondering why he wrote this in the third person......

Welcome to the forums Torrentwolf, names Kyle; one of the sites staff and also an Faction Manager and Game Master. If you need any assistance with anything, please do not hesitate to ask :)

Thanks. One thing I would like to know is where is the sections where I can post my questions or do I do it here or via messages?

Via messages or here - don't worry, we won't judge you or anything (for that matter, I asked questions in my intro post as well lol)

Thanks, I have a few questions that are holding me up in my character creation among others.

Can one of my characters have come from another faction during a trip in which there was an accident and was rescued by the faction I want him to belong to?

Can my character have a surrogate mother/guardian who was a colonel in the Yamatai army?

Where do I find where civilian/public items (Such as weapons, armor and vehicles) for sale are? (Been checking the wiki but it is a bit confusing to navigate)

Do Houses of Nobility/Nobles exist and if so where do I find them?

Can a character who is in another profession say a military make an investment/start a business (The latter being managed by someone on his behalf) to generate additional income?

How do I make a new product to sell?

How is currency generated? (Who pays?)

Which skill governs creating ammunition?

Can one of my characters have come from another faction during a trip in which there was an accident and was rescued by the faction I want him to belong to?

I'm almost completely sure this is possible - though I'd wait until someone more well-versed can say for certain.

Can my character have a surrogate mother/guardian who was a colonel in the Yamatai army?

Yes - though there's no such rank as colonel. Here's a list of the ranks of the Star Army of Yamatai.

I wish I could be of more help, however the rest I cannot provide a definitive answer on.

Yes this is possible but in order to be part of a military plot you have to join that nation's military and thus gain citizenship in that faction and leave you other faction.
It's as @FrostJaeger said it is even possible to talk to another player and have their already established character be the surrogate if both players agree.
Where do I find where civilian/public items (Such as weapons, armor and vehicles) for sale are? (Been checking the wiki but it is a bit confusing to navigate)
Pretty much any item that has a price on it can be bought commercially, not all, but most. Here is a list of notable companies and organizations in the setting, however there might be some missing.
Depending on the faction depends on if their is nobility. For Yamatai they have the royal family. However generally speaking new players can not be part of royal families. That's a high privledge that is earned with performance generally.
Can a character who is in another profession say a military make an investment/start a business (The latter being managed by someone on his behalf) to generate additional income?
Yes military characters can make investments and start businesses, a few characters have done it, and maintain their business via proxy.
How do I make a new product to sell?
New products are put through the NTSE for approval. It's a bit of a difficult process the first time around, but once you get used to it it's not that hard.
How is currency generated? (Who pays?)
If you actually work for a company or military you will have a salary you earn, you're paid based on IRL time as the universal time for the setting moves with IRL time as well. If you do not have a fixed income it comes from selling salvage to companies, but that's a whole different process.
Making basic physical ammunition would probably be in engineering, just as gun making would. However if you want to say make chemical rounds for a massdriver gun, you would need both engineering to construct the shell, but chemistry to mix up your chemicals right.

@FrostJaeger: Thanks for your input, I greatly appreciate it.

@Syaoran: That clears up a lot but leaves a two things in question:

Yes this is possible but in order to be part of a military plot you have to join that nation's military and thus gain citizenship in that faction and leave you other faction.

So this follows and active charicter switching sides correct? Would there be anything required to use it as backstory?

Depending on the faction depends on if their is nobility. For Yamatai they have the royal family. However generally speaking new players can not be part of royal families. That's a high privledge that is earned with performance generally.
Are there any outside of Yamatai?

An active military character switching sides would technically be desertion you would have to formally resign. Now if you mean an active character switching sides. That's just a matter of resigning from any faction affiliated stuff and literally moving in character to another faction becoming a citizen and so on.

As for nobles, yes there are some outside of Yamatai as well. There are some in the Neshatan culture, then Lorath and Hidden Sun Clan have not exactly nobility but very very high ranking aristocratic family lines. And there's probably more I don't know of.

Almost every single faction is very highly interconnected outside of the Iroma and the Neshaten. It's highly unlikely you wouldn't just be repatriated if anyone else rescued you. Especially since there's a pretty cohesive all encompassing treaty between most of the major nations. If you're moving somewhere else, it's almost certainly because you want to, not just because they got rescued by someone.

Pretty much any item you can find a price on can be bought. Some of them would be salvage or black market purchase, but if it has a price, you can put hands on it, and most things that don't have a price can be bought, you just have to talk to an FM to get a price.

Pretty much every faction has some kind of leadership group. It varies from faction to faction, and some, like Nepleslia, it's more of a major class divide than it is an actual set of nobility.

You're free to do whatever you wish with your money at any given time, but keep in mind that you only get a small amount of money early on, and just like in real life, you're not gonna be making much money early on.

This is primarily going to be engineering, though engineering is more knowing HOW to load ammunition, actually hand-loading ammunition and things like that would probably be more under maintenance and repair than engineering. Best way to think of it is Engineering is planning and design, Maintenance and Repair is execution.

Also, don't be afraid to make a few mistakes on your submission. We'll help you work out the fine details in the character forum once you post everything.

Well, I've made some progress but I'm stonewalled. I need some things cleared up to finish one of the apps:

1: Reading into the Elysain I had an idea but I'm not sure about how relations work between them and other species. Would a Plebeians/Caelisolan Elysians be able to maintain a relationship with another being like a human (Friendly/Romantic) outside of their race or not?

2: Has any culture from earth survived and available to scholar like characters? (Aka: literature or historical or cultural books/references?)

3. How the heck does genetic manipulation work? Can just creatures be genetically created from scratch? (This part is more for history and future backstory writing then anything else).

1: Reading into the Elysain I had an idea but I'm not sure about how relations work between them and other species. Would a Plebeians/Caelisolan Elysians be able to maintain a relationship with another being like a human (Friendly/Romantic) outside of their race or not?
I know they can hold friendships, romantics would probably have to deal with how much time they spend out of Elysian culture
2: Has any culture from earth survived and available to scholar like characters? (Aka: literature or historical or cultural books/references?)
Earth is avoided in setting and for any significant culture from it to show up in setting will require a vote from all the players. Because essentially it would be deciding the future of earth.
3. How the heck does genetic manipulation work? Can just creatures be genetically created from scratch? (This part is more for history and future backstory writing then anything else).
Genetic engineering is done at laboratories and such. I assume most bio-roids are 'grown' though. If you're talking about making a new 'race' that would really depend on how you use it to determine what you have to do OOCly to get it approved.

Thanks, though on the Earth culture subject what I ment is when I read the history it says "We don't know how far away from Earth we are, or how long ago humans first left Earth." Now I understand the reason for keeping away from either references. But considering this statement and from what history of SA I have read it makes me wonder how much culture survived the disconnection from earth and either became the basis for the new cultures or survived in pure but obscure form. An example being perhaps a brief history of a country or literature of some sort.

In short, did anything from earth, be it literature or items, survive the loss of it's original source that could be considered rare collectibles or scholar material? (No, not looking to find earth. This is part of one of my characters hobby studies but if no literature is available for him to be reading I can make do without.)

I'm not really qualified to answer that with a certainty, but to my knowledge(which is limited) there have been no actual items -from earth-. I know there have been some new things created in styles of things from earth. But a recreation of the actual thing or one surviving I have not seen myself.

Elysians can procreate with Nepleslians and the Yamataian bodies, but nothing else, if that's what you were wondering about. Relationships in general are possible, but are usually strained. Elysians tend to look down on literally every other race, and that makes interpersonal relationships a bit hard to manage. That said, there's also a strong shepherd mentality there, so there is a certain amount of incentive to interact, and obviously anyone spending enough time with other groups will be more socially capable than the norm.

In terms of Earth, there is nothing direct. There are a few callbacks, and other such distant implications, but nothing directly pertaining to Earth is in the setting as things stand. Like Li said, anything we write basically writes part of the site's past in stone for Earth, and we, as a site, haven't decided where to go with that, so it's avoided until we can come to a sitewide agreement about it, possibly never, in the name of honesty.

Some of the factions (specifically Elysia, Yamatai, and the Iromakuanhe) have pretty extensive genetic manipulation ability, though to my knowledge, it's all still centered around labs. All three have created beings from scratch, though I believe all of the genetic manipulation to this point has still been from an origin, the most obvious being the genetically built bodies of the Caelisolan and Neko races, rather than being from scratch. This is, in large part, due to a fair number of our core advances in tech being external (from AvaNet), rather than internal, so we might simply not be ready to design from scratch yet due to a lack of understanding.

If you have any other questions (especially about Elysia, as I'm the FM), feel free to ask.

Thanks, that really helped a lot even if some of it was disappointing. I had a couple of long term goals for one character and was hoping he could take inspiration from obscure references from earth literature or something but that's not a deal breaker for me, I'll figure something out.

All of the info about Elysians was very much what I was looking for. Knowing they can have relations (Friendly or romantic), albeit with some difficulty, works right into what I'm working on.

The genetics also doesn't play much into either of the characters traits and more into one's backstory which I will flush out later once I get more knowledgeable of SA.

With those questions answered I'll get to working out the history of the characters and get them in asap. Thank you both.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back