• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP A Snake In The Boot, Is Worth 5 Clones In The Barracks.

Jack Pine

RP Date
YE 40, 1 day after S6 departure
RP Location
S6S-Anvil: Board Room
The new meeting room aboard the Anvil was rather nice. Having been modified to be both classy, and relaxing. It was two compartments long, a large onyx table dominating as the center of the room. Much like the old room, the table here was ornately carved with designs, which were accented with bits of gold, attached to edges, the corners of the table, and to highlight the deeper carvings. The top was polished and smooth, with large black spaces in its surface where terminals had been built in at each seat.

The chairs were of stygian black iron, bent and forged into rather equally ornately shaped chairs. The padding was a gel stuffed leather, with a red finish. And to top it off, every square inch of both the floor and ceiling had been replaced with optical panels. They displayed false views of the stars outside the hull, which could be falsely augmented with nebulae and such. Purely for comfort, but as well for an awe factor.

All in all, it was a simply beautifully designed space, one he figured he be spending much time in. Now that they were only but a fleet now, all major business would be conducted here. And for all the beauty, Jack didn't find ease of worry from it. Thankfully his chair had the padding replaced with full gel pads. A fact the white haired man was thankful for as he sat turned around, the back of the chair facing towards the table.

He was waiting for one of their newest recruits, who was quite a shock to find employed. He sat turned around to keep his face out of sight for the time being. Wouldn't want to spoil the reaction. He waited, as Mark Tazar stood by waiting to execute his pre-discussed orders.

Ven slid into the room, she didn't recognize Mark. She had left the Brimstone to get a lucrative contract for testing a new Separa'Shan armor. She had thought about leaving, but there had been more temporary work to do and so she had stayed on. She didn't really know or care who was in charge as long as she got what she wanted. So far, they had been doing that. "You assked for me?" She said facing Mark, her tounge darting out past her lips to taste the air.

Mark pointed to the chair, "The Commander does."

Jack turned the chair around, giving a slight grin.

"Welcome miss Volotany, I don't think I properly got the chance to meet you before your rather speedy sign-up prior to our departure. I figured I'd rectify that with this little meeting. Please have a seat, I'd like to learn more about my newest recruit.", he said wondering what she must be thinking.

Ven didn't react with her face, it remained carefully neutral. "Certainly. What would you like to know?" She asked. Ven was on edge. She had fought Jack once before, while she had been hanging out with his alpha fork, Lazurus. She didn't know if he held a grudge. Ven didn't care, it was mostly Lazurus's operation and she didn't have a personal stake in it. If she was going to go down, she was going to go down fighting. As she moved forward and pushed a chair out of the way and settled into a sitting position where the chair had been. As she did so, a sharp eye watching would bearly notice that she slipped a knife from a concealed sheath to a concealed ready position in a single well practiced motion designed to be disguised by her gross movment.

Jack wasn't about to mention that the optic plates on the floor and ceiling were two way. Part of the reason he had it setup as such for meetings with foreign and potentially unknown groups.

"Tell me a bit about your history? I like to know what events shape those I general find coming in.", he asked simply calm and cool. He'd stay that way too, no need to make her jumpy.

Ven considered what to say, she decided to go with the truth, as far as it went. "Not much to ssay, grew up on Essia, left home about a decade ago, got jumped by sslaverss, sspent a few yearss under their tender merciess," There was a cold sarcasm on that point. She had scars on the back of her neck where they had put a slave implant. "After I esscaped, I learned how to fight back. Now I'm jusst following the money."

"Well I must certainly say you aren't lacking in combat skills. You've given our boys a run for their money, piracy must have been a nice side gambit. Kessler tells me you were a rather valuable asset to the crew as well.", he replied giving away some of the info he was privy too.

"Whatever payss, and ssometimes living to keep that pay meanss you gotta lay low for a while. Kessssler assked me to train them, I like to think I did a good job, even with the pathetic ssad ssack of a kid. He hass potental if he'd ever grow a sspine." Ven commented.

"Yes Kyle does. It's why we trained him to be a pilot. He even defeated the simulation of Lazarus. He and the AI have proven effective, his mother is certainly proud.", Jack replied back before adding, "I know how freelance work goes, I did it too at one point."

Ven nodded, but there wasn't a question or anything that Ven cared enough to clarify. She hoped that it meant there wasn't a grudge. On the other hand, she wasn't going to give away anything more then she felt she had to.

"Tell me, why Section 6. Wouldn't we seem like a risk, or potentially hostile?"

"Possssibly, but the money was good for the rissk. Mosst of the people I've worked with would knife me in my back given the chance or just becausse they feel like it. You are much more likely to come at me from the front ass it were. I didn't plan to sstay past the original contract, but the move meant you were paying good money for sstaying around a while longer." Ven said honestly.

Jack thought about that for a moment, finding the situation very ironic. Someone he probably should have been angry with, was here now within his reach, yet......He felt no hostility against them at all.

"Well as long as you stay friendly, don't kill any of our people, there will be a place for you here. With a paycheck of course. I'd shake your hand, but maybe after you put the knife away.", he said with a chuckle, before pointing to the deck and ceiling.

"Optical plates, they see and show.", Jack

Ven slipped the knife back into the hidden pocket so smoothly that it was almost as if she was doing a magic trick and extended her hand towards him. She didn't show it, but she felt relieved a bit that the tension of if he was going to kill her or not was over. "That ssoundss like a deal then." She responded.

Jack shook her hand and gave a slight smile, "I look forward to seeing what you'll accomplish while here. Was there any questions you wanted to ask? I've been asking about you, but I'm not sure just how much you know about me. Only fair you have just as much information."

"Not ass much ass you might think. I know that you were a freelancer, that you were the template for Lazuruss, a bit about your family, and that you are in charge of thiss organization." Ven admitted.

"Template yes, he was supposed to be the improved model. I was genetically tailored to be a soldier, mass produceable, and effective. What Psychopomp was looking for when they absorbed the Fenrir project. Like Lazarus, I was born a slave, shame for Psychopomp when we started thinking for ourselves.", Jack paused to let that sit for a moment.

"Yhea, they don't like when you do that. So I stabbed mine in the face. It hasn't taken as well as I would have liked." Ven said unexpectedly open with Jack due to their similar backstory.

"Sounds like he's at least somewhat intelligent. Those are the harder targets. Most likely need a kill squad, or two, to do a synchronized hit.", he said mulling that over, "If you ever need them you got them. Consider it a thank you, and a gesture of one ex-slave to another."

Ven wasn't sure how to take that. "Thank you." She said, hoping that was the right protocol.

"This here is Sergeant Tazar, he is your immediate officer, above him is our new Lt. Commander "Whisper". If you have any concerns, or if anyone gives you trouble. Please report it to them, or if in extreme conditions, to me, or Commander Oaklen."

Mark gave a nod from that back of the room, "If we have any missions soon, the Lt. Commander will be running things, as I'm stuck on damn light duty."

Ven nodded, "Is there anything you need from me?" She asked.

"Make sure Tazar doesn't get himself killed, He has a bad habit of going suicide runs, or working when he needs to be in the medbay. The only reason he's here is because he insisted.", Jack said pointedly, "But other then that, it's duties as usual."

"Just performing mine sir."

Ven nodded, "I'm perhaps not clear on what exactly our duties are going to be, guarding obviously like we did with during the withdrawl, but what else?" She asked, trying to get a feel for what they would be doing.

"Mostly security, side ops if needed. And if the arises, full on combat. We're no longer under the USO's umbrella. That means, no support, backup, or ST. We're on our own now, and no one will save us, other then ourselves. That means I need every soldier at their best, every gun in working order, every set of hands busy, and every ship at the ready.", Jack paused a moment after saying this. It was times like these where he realized just how much had changed.

"If you don't have security, or an op, then I strongly suggest helping around however. Not to say that downtime isn't yours, but only so many need to be active in a fleet this size at any given time.", he added, "And when we reach home, that is when the real work begins."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back