• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Implemented A suggested addition to Site Rules

Andrew

SARPiverse Culture Dreamer
Staff Member
🌟 Site Supporter
FM of Tsenlan
🌸 FM of Yamatai
Submissions Reviewer
🎖️ Game Master
After recent events in our discord chat, I found myself browsing our site rules for a refresher. I recommend everyone does this occasionally. I want to present this suggestion in a cordial way without targeting people or pressing on someone for being guilty - but I'd like to suggest a change, as follows:

Our site rules mention metagaming, which is the taking of OOC knowledge to IC. However, the rules fail to mention metagaming's ugly step-sister which is generally referred to on other roleplaying sites as mixing. Mixing is when people take IC to OOC, and the example I'd like to use to point this out is this:

In a roleplay setting, there is a dark side, and that dark side is developed just like the light side by people who contribute ideas, bad guys, and other things. With these things, there are generally connections to hot topics ethical and moral debates, and concepts like totalitarian governments, eugenics, and genocide even. Just because someone deploys these deemed to be "evil" concepts or topics in RP does not mean that they are someone who believes in the practices of these things in real life. A fictional universe is going to have its bad guys, and its flaws, and I think having a rule about mixing helps protect those who work on adding some of the darker setting elements to our universe. We all need to remember that things are just roleplay, not to mention the historical background of Star Army is not the earth, meaning in the SARPiverse something that might be considered radically evil in our real world maybe be seen as just an everyday thing.

I think adding a clarification of this in the site rules will help people handle things a little more easier, with the respectful handling of other players and contributors to the site.

So I submit this suggestion for everyone's consideration. Upvote if you support it, and downvote if you don't. Either way, at least it was suggested.

Treat each other good.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I like this idea a lot. Mixing is something I hate a lot, and I think it should be against the rules.

I can give you the anti-mixing phrase from a site I was the admin of previously:

No Mixing

Please refrain from taking IC concepts into OOC. We all have opinions and feelings about certain hot-button issues but people should not be judged based on a theme or topic they choose to roleplay. Setting elements are just setting elements they do not represent the feelings or beliefs of real-life people. Please avoid having emotional outbursts over roleplay-related events and respect everyone's contribution from the understanding this is a fictional universe. Remember as well you always have the right to not involve yourself in roleplays you feel uncomfortable with, there are plenty of different plots and sections on the site to roleplay in and no one should be forced to be where they uncomfortable. If a theme bothers you, refrain from roleplay in that area hang back until said situation is over or request transfer to a different plot.

Apologies if I’m misinterpreting this - I woke up 10 minutes ago - but wouldn’t it be incredibly easy for someone acting in bad faith to shut down any OOC discussion about the setting by using the phrase “please refrain from taking IC concepts into OOC”?

Apologies if I’m misinterpreting this - I woke up 10 minutes ago - but wouldn’t it be incredibly easy for someone acting in bad faith to shut down any OOC discussion about the setting by using the phrase “please refrain from taking IC concepts into OOC”?
Sadly any roleplay rule or right can be twisted into something in bad faith. There is a vast difference between mixing and planning. In planning or brainstorming in-character, concepts are discussed and developed for implementation to improve the site. Mixing however usually results in someone being judged for the kind of roleplay they participate in or contribute to. This is where personal responsibility and staff come into play. Having an environment where things can be discussed constructively, should always be promoted but mixing which involves judgment and shaming should be avoided.

Whatever is decided on for the language for SARPs no mixing rule, if this is implemented, consideration for constructive planning and discussion of setting elements should be included therein.

Last edited:
This suggestion has lots of votes so we will implement it. Please add the rule to the WIP rules page I am working on.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back