• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP A Whisper of Reconcile

Jack Pine

RP Date
1/20/YE41
RP Location
Sirris VI: Obsidian City: Center Point Park
The memorial wall was imposing, rising far over the open space of orange tinged trees and blue sky, casting shade over sidewalks and collected black orbs set in the marble. As a powerfully built woman walked the path, jeans swishing over boots, and a tee shirt barely disguised her tall and proud posture. Honestly wondering why Whisper had told her to meet here of all places, she avoided the gazes of the holograms, prefering to stare down the harsh glare of an alien sun than the people she had failed to protect.

Whisper waited for her arrival, having stopped by his apartment for a change of clothes himself. He wore for once more then just the damnable suit he was always seen in. A very odd and strange, yet imposing figure all his own. He wore his boots, and jeans, and a leather hooded coat with a fur interior linning. Even wore the gloves over suited hands, almost making it feel nostalgic, at least if it weren't for about what he was about to do.

When he heard her boots impact the paved path just before the wall, he stepped out from behind it, the sword on his back clinking ever so softly as he walked around the side. "Do you know why I have called you here Warrant Officer? This is a conversation I had a suspicion that would be coming eventually.", Whisper's augmented voice questioned from the helmet's audio units.

"Not really, sir. I have a feeling it has something to do with a developing anger management problem." Spark casually brushed her her hip, cocking an eyebrow as she stopped. Turning slightly, she recognized the lines of his armor under the casual clothes, even in what seemed to be a casual setting. "Either that, or you're finally admitting that you're an automaton in a Revenant suit like all the troopers believe."

A small chuckle came from the helmet now, good, he needed that bit of humor to help with carrying this resolution out. "No, but I can't quite say if the answer to that question is any better. But yes, we're here to talk about what almost transpired in the ring, and what the cause is for it. Anything you want to admit before we get into the nitty gritty?"

"There's not much you don't already know, sir. Armora hit a nerve. Someone very special to me who died in combat." Her head and eyes snapped forward as something deep within drew down the pain and anger, leaving a comforting empty coldness that threatened to swallow her whole and never let go. "I was part of the squad moving to reinforce a persuit team when they were ambushed. There was nothing I could do. We were too late, and I failed. Still bugs me some times."

"Spark,...."Bugs" does not equal, or excuse almost killing your sister. You have family, those you can abide in, don't shut them away to hide what you're feeling. That is what causes incidents like this, and if the trend continues, then I will have to remove you from service.", Whisper said firmly.

"It won't, sir. I'm handling it. It just... That incident was the first and the last." Spark didn't move from her attentive stance, letting her jaw tense for the barest moment. "Losing Lt. Commander Istavan hurt more than I care to admit. He was one of a very small number of people I'm okay with being concerned for my safety. I will speak with the behavioral provider on the matter. Perhaps meditate later."

"I know he would be very concerned about the behaviour you've displayed, and handling apparently isn't working. So we need to resolve this now, and I wanted to avoid this for a long time." Whisper said this with a bit more firmness then he wanted to give, but for some reason, this was getting to him. He turned his head to look back at the wall, and paused for a moment as he considered if he really wanted to do what he was considering.

Stepping over to the wall, he already knew which one he was looking for, he stared at it every day he passed this wall. With a suited and gloved hand, he plucked Rorik's orb from the wall. "This is the man you mourn, but would he want to see you like this? Slowly breaking down because you choose to hide behind the image of a tough girl? It's time for you to understand."

Shoulders slumped ar Whisper's suggestion that she wasn't handling herself as well as she thought she was, but anger flared somewhere deep within when he plucked the orb from the wall, its flickering hologram sending pangs through the woman's chest. "He would see me as I am. He would see me as jovial and okay as ever. I'm hurt, but I'll push through sir. People are counting on me. I have to be okay."

Nonetheless, her breath caught slightly, and she bit down hard to diminish the stinging in her eyes. She wanted nothing more than to curl away somewhere warm and fuzzy, a warm hand on her shoulder to tell her she was going to be okay, and no expectations from her squad of her ability to push through anything. But she always had more work to do.

"NO HE DOES NOT! He sees a woman falling apart, one he thought..........," The hand tightened on the orb, "You are not helping anyone doing this to yourself and making us all watch, ignorant to the fact we can see it. Quite frankly I-.......Thatch."

Whipers head had turned at the name that left his helmet's audio, the youngman standing there in a hoddie and jeans. "What is going on, why are you two fighting?", Thatch questioned with a voice full of concern.

"I just had a little breakdown is all. I'm sorry if we were bothering you, Thatch. It's nothing." Smashing down her emotions with the same brutal force she used with her sister, she mellowed out and managed a warm smile for Rorik's younger brother. "How's training, kiddo?"

"I was just called from it by the Lt. Commander here, but I got stuck in traffic......why are you two talking about brother? Spark, what break down?", Thatch asked, only more worried, as the conversation he had walked into was clearly not a small thing.

"I don't think you'll ever have to worry about that breakdown. I'm just surprised." Her head tilted slightly as gears started turning again. "I think the Lt. Commander has something important for both of us, and it involves Rorik. I promise I'm okay." She finished with a warm smile and a firm nod.

"You are not the only one who hides, Spark, and quiet frankly....it's disappointing.....for myself, not you. This clearly isn't working, and it's clear this must end now, or it will only grow worse.", His hand loosened on the orb. "Do not grieve for him, for he is not lost, only blind. Do not weep, for he never fell, but risen.....an old funeral hymn from the Jalihid tribe's ceremonial practices. And is what was read at my first funeral......this orb..is not the image I will place my name to."

As he said this, his free hand gripped the helmet by the face plate, the seal hissing before it was pulled off. Rorik showed his scarred face, his silver eyes staring back with a piercing gaze, the firmness in his expression having never left. "You weep for a man who never left this world. It's time I stopped letting an ST copy live the life I should have been, while I hide."

White hair bristled, standing up from its short pixie in her shock, eyes widening as the seal opened. Tears prickled, vision blotting out as her throat locked and she stiffened. Her mind went through several different paths at once, attempting to force her body into action whilst simultaneously trying to figure out what it wanted to do. Silver eyes were unmistakeable. Age, scars, different from the man she remembered, but it was definitely Rorik, at least in her recognition. But she'd watched him die.

Several moments passed before a quiet, cracked voice escaped her throat, directed to the impossibility. "Is it really you?"

Thatch was frozen, his expression mirroring Spark's, but to a greater degree. The youngman fell to his knees, "No, but the h-hospital......they said you were dead. You were alive all this time....and you never said so? W-why?!"

"Because Thatch,.....you had the brother who hadn't died, hadn't failed,......I killed the men who burned our village, killed ma and pop. Even then I failed....."

A bead of wet rolled down alabaster skin darkened by alien suns, soon to be followed by more as Spark took a deep breath. Shaking as every emotional wall she'd built to keep people from seeing what was wrong with her came crumbling down, and everything behind them came crashing to the surface, ripping their way to the surface. With a sudden movement and a cry, she leapt forward, wrapping her arms around Rorik in a bone crushing hug.

"You scared the Hell out of me! You could have told me!" It didn't quite register where these two versions of the man she'd cared so deeply for had deviated, and what had happened to this version of him. All she cared about was that he was alive and back, and she didn't feel that hollow feeling in her chest at his memory. At least for now.

His head hung low, "Because I can't live up to the me you knew. At least he was there for those he cared about. In the end I tried to move on and let him carry on a brighter memory, but my tale is far less enjoyable. Spark...you mourned the loss of him, try mourning the loss of everyone, including the woman you....loved."

"But you didn't, and you were here. You're here now, have been, I'm sorry....I was the one who gave up....I did this to you. I paid for the ST, panicked, when you were alive.", Thatch cried.

"Shut up and hug me, Rorik. Thatch, get in here. I'm just glad to have the opportunity at a second chance." Spark pushed forward, driving Rorik into the marble wall behind him and nestling her chin into his shoulder, squeezing just a bit tighter.

Rorik wasn't sure what to say to that, but decided to just comply, though the sudden pop of his back as well as something else. Oh hey there's that nut, Rorik thought as she misaligned his spine, but still managed to give his own hug. "Spark...back, too tight.", He wheezed quietly.

"Ohshit!~" She quickly released Rorik and gripped his shoulders to push away and get a look to see if he was okay. "I'm sorry! Need a medic? I can call Doc."

"Nah, I'm good, just....need my spine re-aligned. Just need another shove against the sword.", He said with a horse voice and discomfort filled smirk as he pointed to the weapon on his back. "Damn, if you do this with a hug, I'd hate to be the guy who ends up in the same bed as you.", he joked.

"Sir!" Spark's face flushed bright as she processed the joke. "Carrying a sword is bad for your health, sir. I know a few good chiropractors. You'll need them later on."

"I feel like that last line was implying something. You sure you aren't trying make me that guy? Because I might need to start running before you drag me off.", He chuckled as he pressed a hand on either side of his back. With a forceful press, a pop was heard aagin, "Also I never left in the first place, I'm not so easily killed."

"I'm not so unprofessional as to attempt to sleep with my superiors, sir." She looked almost insulted by the notion, though her blush remained. "You could have said something about there being two of you running around. Now, then, you had a thought concerning me. Did you not think I cared, or did you think I was a little bit tougher emotionally than my mom? Thatch, help me out on this?"

"Hasn't stopped anyone else in this army. At all, but I digress.", Rorik mumbled.

Thatch had just given a constant look of disappointment at the man as the topic changed, "Still crass as ever I see." He turns and begins to walk away, "I'll see you at home later...you asshole."

["Thatch? Come on bro, don't leave me alone with her. Thatch? Bro, come on, don't go!"], Rorik messaged Thatched.

"Sir, as much as I'd like you to throw me over your shoulder and drag me into the sunset, we both know that Alpha squad and Heather would disapprove. Now. You seemed disappointed in the fact that I actually gave a shit when you died. To be fair, that version of you was the first one to show me that I wasn't going to be forgotten like I wanted, so yeah, a few fucks were given."

"Why would Heather disapprove? You make it sound like we're dating, or something. Also I don't lead Alpha squad anymore, you know that, not after the reshuffle of troops. Also yeah, and that hasn't changed, I have seen why he was fond of you. You're a good woman, and a good soldier, even if you are hard on yourself.", Rorik said with a frown, not really seeing why Heather would be disappointed.

"Right, forgot we aren't really Alpha anymore. Still, I've seen you walking around with her, and Neps aren't really that great at hiding their emotions. Frankly, they're kinda bad at it. Look at Rose and Sarah. Then look at the way Heather looks at you. Besides, I'd probably break that dick before she got a chance to take it for a spin." Spark shrugged, ignoring the comment about her being a good woman and soldier. She just knew she was good at keeping herself in line. Some times.

He just gave a look that said he doubted that, "Well aren't you full of yourself. To be honest, she could find better. I don't have the best track record with that kind of thing. I lost Arianne, I am not going to risk either of you......It might be best if I go now."

"Sir, there's gotta be a reason literally no one has shown interest in me. I promise I'm not going anywhere, and if you choose to persue her, Heather will be under my protection."

"She something along similar lines. How she would never leave, and I childlishly believed that. It didn't save her in the end. She had been a victim of rape before joining the militia, and I promised I wouldn't let that happen to her again...", Rorik cut himself off, his eyes averted in shame. Had he not just made this arguement against her? Now he was just being a hypocrite, and it made him disappointed in himself, so he turned to leave. "I've said enough."

"No, you haven't. Let's talk more about this woman you loved. Without blaming yourself for what happened to her. She may have died in a horrific way or in her sleep, I don't really care the difference." Spark shrugged, grabbing Rorik from behind for a far gentler hug than the last one. "I know I sound hypocritical sayin it, but chase the good. Remember why you loved her, not what happened to her. You're a good man, and we should get lunch some time. Catch up. Tomorrow some time?"

"Yeah...I'd like that, but promise me one thing. If you're going to ask me to believe i'm a good man, you need to believe you're a good woman. And one last thing.....give Armora a hug, tell your sister you love her. Don't ever let your family part on bad terms.", Rorik as he stopped in her arms. His hands had gently rested on her arms around him as he spoke. Maybe if she pulled through, then maybe he could, but he still felt inadequate. The scars he wore ran deeper then the flesh could prevent.

"Of course, sir. She's a pain in my ass and resists breaking her programming, but she's still my sister. I'll talk to her later." Spark gave a gentle squeeze. Not hard enough to pop his back again, or enough to press the sword on Rorik's back against her chest, but enough to let him know that his leadership and the good man in him had saved her life more than once, and her loyalty lay there. She would never admit that she envied Heather in the slightest, but the feeling was there.

"Good, love your family and they will always be there when you need them. I'll see you at lunch tomorrow, there's a young man I've been putting off for far too long. And the lord will want to know that I've revealed myself.", Rorik said quietly with a pat of her arm and a reassuring squueze.

@HarperMadi

RPG-D RPGfix
Back