• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Art A Workshop, a Boneyard, a Family, a Nepleslian Life

I must've lurked here something fierce over the last year or two. Work and study keep me from making any meaningful contribution here thus far, so until such time I can join the fray proper, I'll stick a few things here, mostly things worked on and off as time permits. Things mostly related to the histories of potential characters, as the thread name may imply.

Might as well start off with my current (as seen on the 28th of September, 2015) profile picture. It's an old, now seemingly little used freighter within the forums. One of the old DOGA (I think) ships that lingers largely forgotten within the wiki. It seems simple, but I rather like the design for some reason. Written up paragraphs about the (maybe) features and failings of a design this old. It is the Ge-F6-1A light freighter (or an earlier mark of it anyway). I envisage it as a low tech resurrection of a battered hulk. No good profile shots from the wiki page, so I've had to eyeball lots of it.

Oh, and... large images ahoy!

workspace.jpg

First off, a look at the workspace. Lots of clutter. Light blue objects to the right are the pipe elements for the ship's cooling systems. Most prominent is one of the radiator arrays (which exists as a paired set in smaller scale at the rear of the vessel. Purple objects to the top left are the air ducts that move air throughout the ship, and also to the air scrubber unit. Still working out how to thread it through the vessel (we must have a system to pump air into a room, and also to pump it out). Primary air scrubber/filtration/purification system will probably be installed in the forward hull within the roof cavity.

engine-or-reactor.jpg

Two views of some interesting machinery. I've dithered back and forth over whether they ought to be reactors or drive units... I eventually settled on a combination of the two, with a big focus on the latter. Need a lot more detail (wiring, hoses, piping and whatnot) to make it look busier. Also need to think of getting a nozzle system installed. These will be plasma drives (poor ones at that) that push out hydrogen, and in SHTF situations, will accept oxygen into the reaction chamber to function as an emergency liquid thruster engine for oodles more power.

radiatorarrays.jpg

Here we have a close up of the radiator arrays situated on the top of the engineering bay towards the rear of the ship. Not sure if I should leave as is, or tighten up the spacing between the pipes. The shapes that can be seen in sections of the radiator piping are meant to be valves: in the even of damage to sections of the radiator piping, ideally these valves would work to lock out damaged portions, limiting coolant loss to space. Also visible (extending roughly from mid-picture to bottom right) are the cooling system bleed pipes; when normal cooling isn't enough, heated coolant can be vented into space, at the loss of cooling capability later on.

thrusterunit.jpg

Here we have one of the attitude thruster units. The external part that sits above the plating (everything above that large disc) was largely patterned after these, save for the extended, slanted shroud. Propellant tanks are arranged around the accelerator unit (still undergoing work). A lone, unconnected propellant tank is visible to the left. They will exist in pairs (as per their inspiration) upon the vessel at its extremities where possible.

hallwayfwdtorear.jpg

Almost pretty bare. View of the central corridor in the front half of the ship, looking towards the stern. Visible are the air outlets (to be changed for something more industrial later). On each side will be a large cupboard (one for ship computronics methinks) and beyond that, doors to the master bedrooms. This ship was once something of a VIP transport. Not nearly so much now, though.

hallwayfwdtorear bare.jpg

Take away that plating and the image becomes a fair bit more interesting though.

plating.jpg

Some plating. The left is your bog standard steel plating, and now obsolete (didn't like it). The one on your right would be your grav plating, the stuff on the roof and floor that keeps you right side up, even when your ship is doing two thousand rolls a second (well, maybe not then). Old tech again, but nostalgic for one so inclined. Honeycomb structure so I can make most areas exist with some degree of gravity. We'll see where it goes next...

gravsupport.jpg

And there they go. Notice there are two distinct layers of that lattice stuff? The upper layer (closest to our point of view) would be welded to the hull. Grav plates go under that. Add another lattice. Add final steel sheeting. Makes me wonder how they'll get to the grav plates for repair/replacement... something to think about later.

starbpylon.jpg

Here we have a shot of the starboard pylon interior (which would have once been a fuel tank, in the early, pre-Geshrinari built vessels in my mind). Very bare at the moment. Dining table sitting by itself in the middle, with the kitchen at the far end. Visible are the ribs of the ship's frame protruding from between the plating. Still working on placement of various appliances for the kitchen.

kitchendoors.jpg

The style of doors/drawers to be employed in the kitchen. Pretty minimalistic, no handles to bang your knee or head against.

~TBC...

bunkbeddetail.jpg

Here we have the bunk beds the crew would sleep in, all located in the port side pylon. Not much in the way of clearance (no sitting in bed with only ~60cm/24 inches) from the mattress to the top of the bunk. Each figure here measures 1.8 metres (5.9 feet) from head to foot. Steps on the left for the poor schmuck that has to scramble up to the top, a small personal safe to be installed in the alcove to the left of each bunk spot, and a more proper 'wardrobe' to the right (with doors to be installed). Emergency stores to be found in the storage space above the steps to the left.

bunkoutside.jpg

And a shot of the actual room from the doorway. Not much space here, most rec activities will be taken in the mess hall over in the starboard pylon.

lighttest.jpg

Did a (shoddy) lighting test. These are the old bunk designs, much cruder. Those speckles and general cloudiness on the walls? The hallmarks of a poor renderer, i.e. me. I will say these bunks had (somewhat) more storage space. Pull out drawer. Thin mattress makes sleeping a pain in the back though.

cargobaybare.jpg

Of course, the Ge-F6-1A was (and is) a freighter, first and foremost. Here we see the cargo bay in all its (naked) glory. Visible center top is the dorsal hatch. Dithered back and forth on circular (iris type) or sliding, rectangular hatch. Ended up with former.

cargobay.jpg

Earlier revision, same vantage point, back from before I pushed the vertical dimensions of the ship out a little (more clearance for overhead crane, better clearance for taller folk). Also seen are the old roller system for moving cargo to the ventral freight elevator: it's been cut out entirely, as has most of the paneling. Oh well. Start again.

cargobaypanel.jpg

Another pic, showing access from cargo bay floor to mezzanine level that bridges forward section of ship to rear where engineering bay is, and the pylons on either side of the ship. Will keep the design principle, need to change access means to the upper/lower level. Stairs? Lift? Hmmm...

rotarycannon.jpg

And one of the rotary cannons that might/might not be installed on the old hulk. Internet cookies to whomever guesses where this design copies from!

Wow! This is amazing. I don't think anyone has every tried to model the interior and exterior of a Star Army ship in the same model before. It reminds me a bit of Firefly in that it's a small freighter that's nice and cozy.

Funny you should mention that, the general shape of the ship has a vague similarity to the form of the Firefly class (at least from a top down perspective), though this Geshrinari certainly is a lot more sleeker in appearance, and more streamlined overall, or so I think. This freighter will bear a strong slant towards old industrial rather than new age sleek, seeing as this freighter is apparently a very old design that existed in various forms decades ago.

Putting the interior in is an interesting exercise. We've got a set amount of room (I pulled the external dimensions from the wiki page for this ship, and am doing my damned best to stick to it), and some equipment that must be bundled into it. Life support, cooling systems, computer systems (relatively primitive ones), the foldspace drive and primary reactor, auxiliary systems to the ones mentioned before, and the comm array, so and so forth... and also, make sure these items are accessible for maintenance. So now I've got to figure out how to design things such that I can have access panels in the right places.

The rear turrets for example? The wiki ship uses laser turrets. All fine and dandy, don't have to get to them for maintenance or reloading. But for the chemical-ballistic rotary cannons that the IC owners will be slapping on? Well, if you've got a full cargo hold, you won't be accessing your ventral turret (because you've got containers stacked right over it), and good luck getting a trolley of 30mm rounds up to the dorsal one.

But, that's part of the fun, making things work with an existing design.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, we've seen what's at the Boneyard. Time to see something at the Workshop! The GP-1s that the workshop refurbishes are the bread and butter of their business, but that's still very much in a non-showable stage. Instead, here we have one of the few rifles commissioned by some local kingpin. A pity he ended up dead before the rifle's completion.

wildcat1.jpg

So, here we have it, the rifle (in various configurations). This would be one of those 'keep it in a glass display case' type rifles, but it will shoot quite happily of course. Still a work in progress naturally, though most of the external shape is present. From furtherest to closest, the rifle configurations are a 62cm/24.4in barrel chambered for the 7.62x51mm Ketsurui Zaibatsu with a total overall length of 118cm/~46.5in, an 86cm/~34in bull barrel chambered in the 10x58mm Styrling (of Styrling Vervaardiging) with overall length of 142cm/~55.9in, and last of all, a 114cm/~44.9in bull barrel with double chamber muzzle brake, also in 10x58mm Styrling with overall length of 178cm/~70in. The last is akin to an anti-tank rifle in size (and appearance), and rather excessive methinks for what will be its IC owner.

wildcat2.jpg

So, this is a rarely seen type of action, compared to the far more common rotating-bolt locked, gas operated systems. This is a short recoil, toggle locked system, and is perhaps most famously seen on the P08 designed by Georg Luger, and its spiritual predecessor, the C-93 designed by Hugo Borchardt, though this rifle takes its inspiration from the former rathern than the latter. The furthermost rifle has its action in full recoil currently.

wildcat3.jpg

The business end of the rifle. We see that the 7.62x51mm barrel has the forward ironsight post present with a hood over the blade. The middle 10x58mm barrel is rather... bare, though its crown looks nice. Then there's the closest 10x58mm barrel with its huge muzzle brake. Might not look out of place on the end of a tank's cannon.

wildcat4.jpg

Closeup of the 7.62x51mm barrel's rear tangent sight. The entire system is a typical open notch and post sighting system. Haven't decided on graduations for the rear as such yet.

wildcat5.jpg

Here we can see the breechblock (there are two variants, one for the 7.62x51mm chambering, another for the 10x58mm chambering), with the further two being for the 10x58mm round, and the closest for the 7.62x51mm round. The one furthest away has been pulled apart. That extractor is rather fragile looking at present.

wildcat6.jpg

Various views of the 7.62x51mm breechblock in an assembled state. Note the material removed from the rails and from the front, upper section of the bolt. The rifle was built for cartridges significantly more powerful than the 7.62 KZ, but with a barrel change, a lighter alloy breechblock, weaker springs, and some hot ammo, it is possible to use the weaker cartridge. Or at least that's what I like to think.

wildcat7.jpg

And here we have a view into the breech face of the rifle. No feed ramp yet.

A curious item I suppose, and one that will hopefully have a story of its own to tell if ever it makes it into the greater SARPverse canon.

And that's about it for now. There is no family to speak of just yet (well, no pictures rather, notes do exist). But, hopefully, someday soon!

------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

Got some render time done. Here follow two renders of the Ge-F6-1A's old cargo bay with some lighting in the mix. Feels a little more alive now to look at.

cargobay beautyshot1.jpg

And...

cargobay beautyshot2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey that rifle is pretty awesome. Reminds me of the rifle John Pedersen was designing for the US Army in the 1920's :D

Really digging your work. Cant wait to see meore :)

RPG-D RPGfix
Back