• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Abbreviation in Titles of Wiki Articles

Ametheliana

Head in the Stars
Staff Member
🌟 Site Supporter
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
@Wes recently an article had an abbreviated title. I asked the title be changed, but, for a lot of players, it seemed inconsistent with both previously submitted articles and their interpretation of best practices when naming a piece of equipment.

Here is the rule:
"In general, abbreviations should not be used as titles (use Imperial Registry Number, not IRN)."

(found in this section of the Style Guide)

Should or can this be changed? If not, why do we have this rule?

I invite anyone to explain the way they feel about this better than I did for them.

I personally think that the rule should be kept, as an article title like “Na-C3-E3104” tells someone little to nothing about the article’s contents unless they’ve memorized the nomenclature system; in contrast, however, a title like “Na-C3-E3104 Command Distribution System” allows for someone to know what the article’s about without even having to open it - which, in my opinion, is the purpose of a title to begin with.

I'd agree that having some actual human-understandable form makes linking much easier. If you know you need to link a certain PA module, that means you don't have to run a whole wiki search to find which abbreviation corresponds to the thing you want. Abbreviations are meant to be shorthand anyway, it's not shorthand if you can't tell what it means imho.

While that's perfectly fine for many articles, certain systems like the M4 carbine don't have a name other than the descriptor noun "carbine" on the end of it. it doesn't tell you that it's literally the exact same rifle as an M16 but with an adjustible stock and a shorter barrel.

And do we really call weapons like the M16 the "meat axe" like it was called in Vietnam? That nickname came from the way the bullet would tumble in human flesh, btw.

Or the M997, which is basically a CBRN system equipped 4-litter ambulance on the HMMWV platform. But we don't call it an ambulance, because we have six different ambulances in the Army and at least two of them are not HMMWV platform.

For the intents and purposes of the simpler nomenclature systems and cultural systems used by some factions, it is easier and more fitting to refer to a number. Thus it can be argued that a nomenclature number, especially one used as a colloqueal name is justifiably as unique as "harbinger."

And by the way, edgy nicknames like "Doomrifle" or "Scythe" sound cool, but frankly don't give me high expectations for a professional, reliable, and well designed weapon. Honestly it sounds like it was written by a fourteen year old too bored to masturbate and is the name of half the overpowered pewsticks in this game.

I agree with Madi, abbreviations are kindakind in my opinion needed, and I have given this argument in my submission that the issue was brought up.
This is why I'm very specific with how my name spaces are on the wiki. Like the recent S6-MWS2 I submitted and approved. It's listed in the :guns: namespace of the Section 6 wiki name space.
MWS stands for Modular Weapon System and the 2 represents it as the 2nd version. Now that being said, usually all my items generally still have a nickname. Same example, the S6-MWS2 is known as the "Harbinger". Giving everything a special name tends to make the practice harder as time goes on as "good" or "cool" names run out. Words can only make so many names, but abbreviations can be used in almost limitless combination.

I'd like to also point out there are quite a few wiki items that don't have special names but abbreviations. A few in fact are SAoY items. STV, LASR, LATR, PAAR-40, and so on. I do not think this rule is needed, and hindering. I also believe this should encourage people to actually read wiki pages. I've seen on numerous occasions where a player saw a name and assumed the item was something, other then what it was based on the name. And all because they did not read the article.

a title like “Na-C3-E3104 Command Distribution System” allows for someone to know what the article’s about without even having to open it - which, in my opinion, is the purpose of a title to begin with.
If you want to include a nomenclature in the article name, this is the preferred way to name articles. You don't have to name every item, but you should say what it is (e.g. Ke-M2-W4007 Missile Launcher).

As for acronyms, as long as the article's name isn't super long (like PANTHEON is when fully written) then write it out. When in doubt use the common name for the item, which people tend to call it IC and OOC. Nomenclatures are not usually the common name of an item. People will probably ask for a "Mindy screwdriver" not a Ke-M2-G4058.

*shrugs* I mean, when I designed hte PAAR-40, I built the name of it first (PAAR-40 [Power Armor Assault Rifle - 40 YE], which was done in the similar vein as the TAR-21 [Tavor Assault Rifle - 21st Century) then figured out the nomenclature, simply because I was basing my design on similar, real world names of weapons. I've rarely used common nicknames (SCAR-L/H doesn't count, since it's an alternate name to the US Military armory designation of Mark 16/17 for the same weapon) when talking about firearms because that's not always well known (like I didn't know the M16 during the Vietnam War being nicknamed meat axe), but saying M16, people immediately know I'm talking about the standard issue US military rifle.

Honestly abbreviations should not be in the name of the article for a 'main' object. THe main object should be fully named, unlesss like @Wes said uncomfortably long. However I also think accessories or sub articles tot eh main object should be allowed to use the abbreviation in it's name. Also @HarperMadi things like the M4 are not really an abbreviation, but 'product nomenclature' which is different. @FrostJaeger what you put is product nomenclature too. It's less 'abbreviation' and more 'designation' and primarily designed for cataloguing not for human recognition.

Abreviations are things like LASR and LNC. These shouldn't really be in titles, if you want to make a fancy acronym that spells out a word, just make that the official product name and make a note that the name was derived from the acronym during development.

This doesn't mean Abbreviations and Acronyms shouldn't be used, but putting them in the title just makes it difficult for people to search for the product unless they're familiar with it, cause abbreviations and acronyms don't tell you anything. Same with if you only list product nomenclature without basic descriptors of the item. No one knows what a Na-C3-E3104 is unless they are very familiar with the system.

Example, LASR, fires -solid- munition. So if you as a new player were looking for "that assault rifle that MINDY pilots use that fires bullets" you would never think to look for 'LASR' which is clearly readable as 'laser'.

In short the rules about no abbreviations and acronyms are about making it easy for people unfamiliar with a product to find it easier. You can always do it like the LNC article title though is you really want to.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back