• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Abwehran Survey! Open to all SARP membership!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long delayed, but not forgotten. The results of the Abwehran Survey.

Names and Whether or not the participant knew about the Abwehrans will be skipped because I'm treating this as an anonymous survey (plus only one person didn't know about the Abwehrans).

We'll start with the third question, which asked the participant what they found unique about the Abwehrans. I won't be posting up every response, but there are a few answers that made me think about what I should concentrate on fluff-wise.

Four armed males as distinctive image, uber German-Prussian language and culture as distinctive feel, and boxy angry hardware for distinctive killing of undistinctive things

The boxy angry hardware seems a bit close to Nepleslian design, though I have been pondering trying to differentiate more from the other nations design wise.

Their four arms; their rebellious, inspiring history; their unique culture (in the setting); their "hard" science fiction tech; their mercenary plots.

This was the only comment directed towards their history, which I found to be rather rewarding to find. Thanks to the person who wrote it.

Diversity when compared with Nepleslia or Yamatai, advancement and progress when compared with new factions.

Now this one really did get me thinking. Diversity when compared to Nepleslia or Yamatai could be a lot of things honestly. Could be diversity of government (which in this case, there's only some slight differences between the Constitutional Monarchy and the other nations), the fact that immigration and embassies are important facets to Abwehran relations, and the rather neutral attitude they've had towards their neighbors.

It makes me believe that, while I've done a decent job, I still have a ways to go.

The fourth question asked for any negative aspects participants found with the Abwehrans. Unforunately, this question really didn't give me much in terms of critique. Many of the answers were personal reasons why they haven't made an Abwehran character or haven't paid attention to them. But I did get a few answers that were feedback on the species.

The four armed thing is kind of weird, but it's weirder that the females don't match the arm count. Also that they look basically human despite the huge difference in environment (gravity).

Ah yes, the big issue that even I have problems with now. Unfortunately, there's not much that can be done about this sans retcon (which I refuse to retcon something that has been around since their inception and has been mentioned a lot). I was able to change a few bits and pieces that haven't been mentioned much (such as the tails) and I do plan on going more in-depth into certain aspects of the species (such as their empathy and reproduction).

However, the difference between arms and the human look will have to stay.

Not much in the way of civilian plots

Now this is something that could be fixed --- If I had help. College, work, and other things keep me from running a second plot. These have also hindered my technology designing for the Abwehrans as well.

This leads us to the fifth question of the survey; the future of the Abwehrans.

DS9, except Abwheran

Always possible, though I believe Yamatai attempted to do this with Pisces Station years ago. But this also depends upon help. I'm always willing to have people volunteer for Co-FM and GM positions.

I would like to see them be more original and have a richly developed culture.

A long-term project that has been slow to advance.

Propose a non-aligned factions bloc as a counter to Yamatai and Nepleslia.

The League of Non-aligned Worlds from Babylon 5 would be interesting, yes. This is more of a site-wide possibility than an Abwehran one and it has been something I've been bouncing off of certain FMs.

And of course, comes both the Sixth and Seventh Questions, which were more of a call for help than actual questions. Most of the answers were that participants were busy and unable to assist, which is very understandable. However, two individuals did suggest something similar to the non-aligned factions block from the fifth question.

I would like to see a little cross-plotting that's deep and well-managed. Things that help form bonds and/or breaks with the race, that can help enrich the site-wide relations and get them more exposure.

I would like to see more contact with other factions and exploration of the dynamics between them and Abwehrans.

Both suggestions are things I've always planned on working on, but have been unable due to the fact I have tons of stuff to do with the Abwehrans and no help in doing it. As usual, until I do get help, I'll be plodding my way to these goals as best I can.

I would like to thank all of the participants of the survey for answering my questions. Hopefully, this will put me on the right direction of priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back