• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

ADVERTISMENT CONTEST

Alright, so here's the deal: Star Army is currently going through the summer slump that all online RPGs go through every year. There are too few RP posts each day and several of the plots have died. Since the 4chan ads have ceased, the influx of new players has slowed to nothingness. The players who stuck around are excellent, but I feel it's time to expand this circle of friends, or at least make up for the roleplayers lost over the inevitable real-life schedule conflicts and such. We're doing well, but I think we could do better.

What we need is some new players. I'm going to be shelling out some serious cash for advertising, but it's not going to work if the forums aren't active and inviting. So, what I need is for everyone to be on their game, keeping their plots running strong. Take pride in your plot ship!

As part of my strategy, I not only intend to advertise on the web, but also in person and through flyers. That's where you come in. Show off your skills, creativity, and advertising sense by coming up with a page-size advertisement for the Star Army RP. It needs to be eye-catching, easily readable, and informative. You can use any of the artwork on the site for the poster, or your own. Upload the poster to starchan and post it in this thread. You can submit as many as you want.

Saturday, July 15th, will be the deadline for these posters (as far as the contest is concerned). At that point, I'll make a poll topic and we'll vote on which one we think will bring in the most quality roleplayers.

Once we have chosen the winner(s), I'm going to make hundreds (thousands?) of copies and distribute it at various science fiction, anime, and gaming conventions in my area (depending on which I can get to). I'd ask other Star Army members to do the same for their areas. Remember, these will probably be black and white copies, so keep that in mind when designing the poster.

Please respond to this topic. Let's discuss what would be ideal information to put on the ads--For starters, they'll need the StarArmy.com URL and a little copyright notice in the corner, and preferably at least one picture.

Here's an example. It's a bit small and dark for black and white copies, though.

1151945176008.png

More examples:

* Sort of a basic one

* A scan of an older one that was on my notebook.

Oi oi, I take it you've never took classes remotely related to infography or the like, neh?

Okay, advice from the wise (and I shamelessly declare myself thus): ads aren't meant to just stick all the images you think look nice and add them to the sheet as if you were selecting your pizza toppings. You must think about what appeals to the human eye, what the human eye will see first on your work and how well the intended message will be transmitted.

This may help:
Wikipedia said:
Information Design

Cognitive ergonomists specialize in information design-the best way to present complex information. These professionals study the way the human brain processes information. Using this knowledge and the principles of graphic design, cognitive ergonomists develop signs, maps, instruction manuals, and even computer programs and Internet sites that are easy to use, or intuitive. The work of cognitive ergonomists is particularly evident in public transportation buildings, such as airports or train stations. These buildings are often large, complex, and difficult to navigate. Cognitive ergonomists develop clear, easy-to-understand navigation aids, such as signs and maps, to help people find their way to their gate as simply and efficiently as possible. Color-coded subway maps, for example, help subway riders navigate with relative ease through a complicated maze of interconnected underground tunnels.

Cognitive ergonomists also work with manufacturers to design the instruction manuals packaged with consumer products. They evaluate the tasks required to assemble or operate the goods, and present the tasks as a set of sequential, easy to follow instructions. When designing instruction manuals, cognitive ergonomists must consider not only the way the brain processes information, but also the way people expect to receive instructional information. As they develop and learn, humans grow accustomed to receiving different types of information in particular formats. When information does not conform to its customary format, people may find it difficult to follow or understand.

This is only the start of it. Much more information can be gleaned from this excellent resource. I heartily suggest that anyone out to make serious and succesful publicity go consult the subjects within.

Of course, I'm an artist. If I decide to pitch in this, I may be rather hard to beat... but this contest does not require sheer artistic talent (though it may help for making original works) rather than understanding how the human eye and mind work.

Good luck! XD

Small afterthought: Psst! Wes... 'contest' usually imply there might be a prize of somekind. Is there?

What resolution and dimensions (in pixels or inches) would be best for you, Wes? If a higher-than-photoshop-default resolution is preferred, could you provide Star Army source material that wouldn't look bad at that resolution?

Fred, if I were to have my choice and have the means to do so. I would put out the perfect thing to catch a person's eye... a centerfold of a famous neko that is scantly clad and quite sexy. Hanako, Yuuko, Yui, take your pick.

I am not drawing a half-naked pic of Hanako, Yui or Yuuko...

Though I might do one of Kotori eventually! ~_^

Kotori said:

Why not? :-(
Kotori said:
Psst! Wes... 'contest' usually imply there might be a prize of somekind. Is there?
Yes, there will be a prize. I'm considering a number of things like Star Army T-shirts, or a USB "thumbdrive," but haven't decided on anything yet.
What resolution and dimensions (in pixels or inches) would be best for you, Wes? If a higher-than-photoshop-default resolution is preferred, could you provide Star Army source material that wouldn't look bad at that resolution?
I'll give you the highest resolution stuff I've got, but remember I just lost pretty much everything that wasn't on the site when my laptop died.

Some ideas I came up with (you don't have to use them):
  • Maybe a sample of what the JPs look like (after editing)?
  • White letters outlined in black for the title/URL, that I can highlight in on each copy to give it some color and eye-catch factor.
  • A calendar, coupon, convention schedule, or box for notes at would serve some secondary purpose to encourage people to hang onto the flier.

Wes said:
Kotori said:

Why not? :-(

Why is a Kotori drawing so bad? I mean, she's obviously a lot prettier than the other three~! ~_^

Seriously tohugh, it's because Lexxy is probably already on it. It'd undervalue her unfairly if I offered something for cheap while she is already paid to do it (sort of a 'us artists have to stick together' thing). Additionally, I already have prior (paid) requests I should honor first.

Though I can arguably offer art as a form of donation. XD

Also... um... other inexpensive reward ideas could be: Rename the site for a month to "Star Army of [winner's name]" *laughs*... or maybe offer a 50MB FTP access to the winner?

Don't mean to burst a bubble here, but if we get 20 + more players through this ad campaign...

...wouldn't that be suicide to the GMs?

There's no way they'd be able to keep up with the demand.

I just don't want to see your money wasted, Wes.

We did fine last time we got that many. ^_^

I'd have most of them go to a training ship (probably run by me, using Rufus) first, then divide the ones who make it through training amongst the active plot ships.

In spite of your reply, Wes, I'm going to have to agree with Tom. I just don't think it's really necessary to advertise right now unless you're prepared to open up at least one more plot.

*raise hand* Well I'm opening a plot possibly in the near future... and Wes said he was going to create a training ship too.

Yeah, I saw what he said. I just think that with him running the Sakura and a training ship and seeming to me to not really be around as much as before (though I'm a bit out of touch right now so that might have changed by now)...I don't know, I just wouldn't want that someone would be trying to get some RP set up with him or with any other GM, and the GM have to say "I'm too busy for you right now" like was said to me (I'm not complaining about that, it was a long time ago, I'm just concerned about it happening again). If you want to advertise for new players, you're going to need more plots, not to mention plots with more variation, in order to accomodate for everyone.

Hmm. Let's get Fred's plot ship set up as soon as possible, then. I figure Fred can take on 10+ players to begin with, if he has help, maybe deputize one or two of the new players with extensive prior roleplaying experience. The rest can be absorbed into the current plotships.

The Celia can take on a few more players between missions. The problem is that we're rarely "between missions".

In other news, I love making flyers. I propose not just a single flyer, but a series. I hope I'm not breaking any "one entry per contestant" rule.

http://www.stararmy.com/starchan/humor/ ... 092761.png
http://www.stararmy.com/starchan/humor/ ... 053865.png
http://www.stararmy.com/starchan/humor/ ... 002643.png
http://www.stararmy.com/starchan/humor/ ... 959075.png
http://www.stararmy.com/starchan/humor/ ... 923721.png

(Edit: by the way, I have all of these in DOC format.)

10+ players! *rocks back on his heels for a moment* Heheh.

I like the 1st and 2nd flyers of your lot best Yangfan. They seem a bit bland to me, but their arrangement is simple and effective (cost effective too - I can see Wes not crying over having thousand of these to print (ink costs) )

I like Yangfan's series, too, but they're tiny when printed.

NEED MORE! Every passing days is a hundred lost copies I could have snuck in at work.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back