• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

OOC Aeon Discussion

Okay team,
I am heading out to a SciFi convention, and won't be home until late on Sunday.

Meanwhile, please continue to interact with each other. When I get back Ise will come and gather the crew for a get to know each other dinner.

Have fun.

:eek:
I personally am looking forward to serving aboard the Aeon and under Katae-Taii, and I hope that I can play my part aside all of you to make this cruise successful."

Good thing Ise-Taii didn't hear that oops....

I lurk in the dark places of the con.

Nashoba said:
:eek:
Good thing Ise-Taii didn't hear that oops....

Hah, so I'm not the only one to make that mistake :D

Also, my boot drive violently bit the dust last night in a hail of bluescreens and frantic backing-up, I never thought Win 2008 would BSoD as much as it did. To make things more awesome it's a long weekend, so I can't even get a replacement solution up and running till at least Tuesday at the earliest. :(

Next stop, RAID 1.

Hey folks,

Please ensure that your user page is linked from this page. This is an item I get auditted on. :(

SARP Members

Thanks
Nashoba

Picked up a new mouse, two hardrives, and got my internet fixed today, because these things come in threes ya' know. Hope fully I'll get my comp cranking tonight and be able to make a post \o/

sorry a flood a few days ago caused my router go on the fritz, it finnally died monday. so I had to buy a new one. now i can actually post lol but i also have a bunch of papers so i might be a little inactive

At least you have a warranty. ;) We custom our computers and upgrade them as necessary so most of the time what warranty. :lol:

Glad to hear you are online.

Hey, just a note to Samuraipizzaman, "san" is a gender neutral polite honorific. It is totally appropriate to affix it to the end of a female's name. Further, "misu" is simply the romanization of the Japanese phonetic pronunciation of "miss" and as such wouldn't really be affixed to the end of a name in the same way "san" or "kun" would be used.

I'm the one who told him because according to the web site I use to find Japanese words, it says San is Mr or Mrs. Not Miss.

Gotcha. Yeah, that would be the stock translation; the context in Japanese is a bit different. The level of politeness in speech and honorifics is dictated by the level of familiarity that exists between the two people, rather than an age or marriage status based system. The closest analogue to "miss" I can think of would be "kun" or "chan." "Kun" is still a little odd to apply to girls, but its use is increasing, but "chan" is used quite frequently for young girls though never for boys. However, using either of those implies that the speaker is socially superior to the listener - except if the two are the same age and relatively close, and then the two would either be school aged or friends from school. The default address is "[surname]-san." If people become more familiar, it might switch to "[given name]-san." Only the closest relationships - both platonic and otherwise - result in the dropping of all honorifics. "Kun" might be used be a "sempai," or older associate, in a professional work setting. "Chan" would only be applied, aside from the aforementioned instances, in a close relationship or if an extremely non-traditional female going for an excessively cutesy or babyish... vibe, I guess, insists upon it, usually by using it in self reference (i.e. calling oneself "[given name]-chan").

So, general advice: use "[surname]-san" or "[surname]-rank" (for multi-word ranks the first word can be dropped, e.g. "[surname]-hei" as opposed to "[surname]-Santo Hei") or just write it in English.

Anyways, that's my two paragraph explanation of Japanese honorifics. If you have any more questions or specific queries feel free to ask. After all, it's summer break and an Asian Studies major has to practice his chosen language focus somehow.

Well, I'm sure Samuraipizzaman will keep that in mind from now on (as will I) so we shouldn't have a hiccup like that again.

actually it was good, especially for people just meeting each other and one of them painfully shy. :)

This is probably kind of a dumb suggestion, but maybe that sort of thing should be put in the New Player's Guide?

Actually there is a basic text in the Aeon's rules and procedure pages. I've asked Sean to provide me with an update to what I currently have.

Nashoba.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back