• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Albagust Chronicles (Introduction)

So I decided to start writing again, and decided to give an old Fantasy Theme a try...

I have the introduction written out and I was wanting to see if anyone would actually be interested in the story itself by the introduction I have written. If so I might update this post with updates on the story, dependent on the want for it. Or just start over, or write more, or something to get more interest in it. So without further adieu this is the introduction:

Many tales have been told of heroes and villains fighting against each other. Where the good would triumph over the wicked and bring love or peace, or both to the world they longed to protect. Many a time would a child lay upon their bed and listen to their parents tell them fables of the heroes of old. Rarely would the small babe know of the horrors that each hero would have to go through to bring themselves to that point and time where they would pass through the boundaries of time and space to become a staple of history as a hero. Our story begins in a time when there were no true heroes, a time where people would suffer and the world would ache for someone who could rise to the challenge and bring upon them a time of peace.

The story of this hero was not one for the faint of heart, or those who believe in the fables and fairytales that they heard in the protection of their homes and beds. No, our story was one of suffering, trials, and turmoil beyond that any of you know. Like with any story worth telling to another, this story had a beginning. Our story began on the outskirts of a town deep within the wilds, a town shunned away from the hustle and bustle of the large castle towns of old. Deep within the forest known by only one dark name: The Draskal Woods.

-----

A short introduction, but I think a decent start to the story to drag readers in before the prologue starts... Opinions?

Note: this is to help, despite it's bluntness. If I didn't care to see this come through, I would not reply.

I see the theme of hardship being central in your story. I like that a lot, as I believe it is crucial in making a tale realistic. It is, however, done a lot. It gives life, which is needed. But, if you wish to drag readers in, I think you need more than the above introduction. The only part that made me want to know more was that the story will not begin in a safe, humble, and otherwise lighthearted setting. The Draskal Woods sounds unforgiving, cutthroat, and dark. Not a lot are tales begun from the darkness, and that makes me want to read more. Also, I enjoy the fact that this is the beginning of a history, tale, and chronicle. No heroes of old are mentioned, and the readers will be along the ride with you as you build this world's history.

In short, I think that if you talk more about the Draskel Woods, the introduction will be much more enticing. (to me, at least. I am no authority on readers :p)

RPG-D RPGfix
Back