• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Implemented Allow Places Pages for System and Planets

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
This suggestion is inspired by a question from Andrew, who asked me "What do I do with history sections for Star Systems to avoid it being just a copy-paste of the planet's history?" Thinking on this question, it occurs to me that, in Star Army:
  • System pages rarely offer much of value and are kind of an extra stepping stone to planet pages
  • System pages and planet pages usually have the same history and this makes either for copy-pasta or extra work for editors
  • A common "places" template has just replaced both system and planet templates and it's a lot more RP-oriented
  • A lot of places need to be updated
  • Now that we use struct for most sorting of places, it doesn't matter what namespace a planet or system is in--as long as that namespace is assigned to the places schema
The proposed solution I offer is:
  • Allow place pages to include both the notable planet in a star system AND the star system info because most of the time it will look like "there's a couple of rock planets in the system too."
  • These combined pages would live in the places: namespace
  • Merge old system and planet pages into replacement place pages (e.g. instead of Nataria System and Planet Nataria, just make a page for Nataria and include all the relevant info).
  • If there's enough interesting info for both the planet and the system page, it's fine to have a page for both.
  • Make place type a multi so places can be counted as more than one category, so a place can be both a planet AND a system, or it can be both a space station AND a military facility
Why this is a good idea:
  • Heavily cuts down on pages we need to update template for NOW
  • Also drastically reduces the amount pages that will need updates in the FUTURE when plots touch them
  • More flexible organization of places in the SARPiverse

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I think I like this a lot if it means what I think it means. I want to make sure I understand it.

For Sirris VI, a planet in the Sanctum system, we may just have an article that says 'Sirris VI is the so-and-so planet of the Sanctum System. Here's all its details.' and not detail out the rest of the system unless it was story relevant? And then if something else in Sanctum came along, we'd make a place for it. We'd then rely on Struct to aggregate the places in the system, instead of listing out each of the planets individually. Over time, systems that see a lot of RP would likely see further development and their struct data would allow the system to grow in an organic fashion.

In other words, we put our focus into the places that are story relevant and don't worry so much about things that aren't?

That is exactly what I mean, Whisper.

I like idea as it clears the upfront problem the wiki staff faces right now “automatically generated star system with no content”.

this does mean we require to update the template :) which is not a huge problem ;)

I've implemented the struct portion of this idea (adding a new place_cat to replace place_type). Now places can be categorized as more than one category like being pages for planets and systems or military bases and space stations at the same time. We will need to copy the old column into into the new one. This can be easily done right now from the main places page and I've started on it.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back