• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Implemented Automate the Characters Wanted Page

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
This suggestion is to improve updates on the "Characters Wanted" by using struct.

Problems this addresses:
  1. The wanted page isn't as updated as it should be and often there's outdated stuff on there
The way to implement this would be:
  1. Add a struct field to plots where GMs could put their plot's needs for characters
  2. Add it to users as well
  3. Replace the existing characters wanted page lists with auto struct lists of
    1. plots that want characters and
    2. a list of players that want characters to RP theirs with
  4. Filter the list so only wanteds from active or interest check plots are displayed
  5. Educate the player base about the new method for posting wanteds
  6. Put clear instructions on how to add stuff on the wanteds page too so people don't get confused on how to update it

If this sounds like a good idea, please vote.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
This is a fantastic idea. It seemed like there was a lot of outdated info on the wiki when I joined, so I trawled around on the forums and discord to figure out up-to-date info.

I like this, too. Seems like a great use of the system. Do we want to do a 'Characters looking for a plot' section?

I thought about this for a minute and my thinking is I want to consolidate input spaces and that characters don't look for plots, users look for plots for characters. So I think I could have the user schema have a field for "characters available for plots" and you could pick (multiple) from the list of characters. So user pages could have two new fields:
  • Characters wanted for RP (e.g. "I want someone who will play a girlfriend for my neko clerk")
  • My characters available for RPs (e.g. "Honora Muirin, Kawa Kinie")
Although there's also a thought that maybe any character who's active should be counted as available.

Hmm, currently characters don't have a plot field on their struct but I could add one that talks to the plots schema.

We can't filter by a blank plot selection but we could make a placeholder plot called "Needs a plot" that could be picked and display a list of characters that have that selected.

Is it possible to have a “full” or “not accepting new characters” option that doesn’t populate this theoretical struct list?

Yes, it is already an option on current plot pages.

Implemented! Please update your wanteds on your plot and user pages!

RPG-D RPGfix
Back