Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 September 2024 is YE 46.7 in the RP.

Awesome Quotes

An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex.
- Aldous Huxley

I. J. Good (1965) writes:

"Let an ultraintelligent machine be defined as a machine that can far surpass all the intellectual activities of any man however clever. Since the design of machines is one of these intellectual activities, an ultraintelligent machine could design even better machines; there would then unquestionably be an 'intelligence explosion,' and the intelligence of man would be left far behind. Thus the first ultraintelligent machine is the last invention that man need ever make."

In the case of emergency, the launch complex has an emergency elevator system for quick shuttle personnel evacuation. Leaving the shuttle, the crew proceeds to an emergency elevator which drops the crew to the ground at speeds up to 60 miles per hour (mph). This is a basket on a cable which drops at a steep angle away from the site. From there, the crew board, and drive, a modified M113 Armored Personnel Carrier to a triangular helicopter pad located a couple hundred feet from the platform and are flown away from the complex to safety. It should be noted that as NASA safety rules require all non-crew members to be well away from the pad; the crew must do all this for themselves.

This was said in 1946 by Darryl F. Zanuck:
"Television won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night."
Now, over 60 years later, we have Foxtel, Austar, Cable, all that jazz!

Also, a man by the name of Lord William Thompson Kelvin had this to say these things about aviation!
"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." (Said on 1895)
Two years later, he then said...
"I have not the smallest molecule of faith in aerial navagation other than ballooning..."
Now, about a century and a bit further down the tracks, we have the 747.

Do you think the two guys were shortsighted?

"We are all addicts of fossil fuels in a state of denial. And like so many addicts about to face cold turkey, our leaders are now committing violent crimes to get what little is left of what we're hooked on."

-Kurt Vonnegut

Dr. Weird: "Steve, pick up that stick, and slowly...carefully, now...AGITATE THE HELL OUT OF THIS SNAKE!"

Steve: "Oh, HELL NO!"

Me and my friend were talking today (she's a bit out of it due to sleeping in class) and our conversation goes something like this...

Me: "Man, wouldn't it be cool to have a job as a demolition expert?"
Her: "Yeah, blowing shit up is always a good thing."
Me: "Isn't it? But you'd probably need some sort of degree for that, right?"
Her: "Yeah, I guess. I wonder where you'd go for that kind of training. I'd say New York or something."

At this point I crack up, because she doesn't quite get what she just said. As I'm laughing, it dawns on her and she turns bright red.

1. A site called ‘Who Represents‘ where you can find the name of the agent that represents a celebrity. Their domain name... wait for it... is
www.whorepresents.com

2. Experts Exchange, a knowledge base where programmers can exchange advice and views at
www.expertsexchange.com

3. Looking for a pen? Look no further than Pen Island at
www.penisland.net

4. Need a therapist? Try Therapist Finder at
www.therapistfinder.com

5. Then of course, there's the Italian Power Generator company...
www.powergenitalia.com

6. And now, we have the Mole Station Native Nursery, based in New South Wales:
www.molestationnursery.com

7. If you're looking for computer software, there's always
www.ipanywhere.com

8. Welcome to the First Cumming Methodist Church . Their website is
www.cummingfirst.com

9. Then, of course, there's these brainless art designers, and their whacky website:
www.speedofart.com

10. Want to holiday in Lake Tahoe ? Try their brochure website at
www.gotahoe.com

"If 50 million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France

((Blueberry responds to Yaichiro's question...I thought it was funny as hell))

"Well, if you say so....though I have to ask...what do sprites do when they have time to themselves, anyway?" Yaichiro asked...

..."We have lesbian sex and debate the morality of the Empire," Blueberry said from her corner.

Remember remember the fifth of November
The gunpowder treason and plot
I see no reason the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot

V for Vendetta, or whatever english person came up with it some 400 yrs ago.
Naughty naughty naughty!

RazealK said:
Remember remember the fifth of November
The gunpowder treason and plot
I see no reason the fifth of November should ever be forgot

V for Vendetta, or whatever english person came up with it some 400 yrs ago.

Remember. Remember the Fifth of November.
Remember the gunpowder treason and plot.
I know of no reason, that the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot.

Fixed

"An empty threat, Taisho. Cast me out if so you wish, it wont be any different. Kill me if it will improve your mood, maybe it will improve mine."
Yukisato Mizuho, while aboard YSS Nozomi

Computers will never take the place of books. You can't stand on a floppy disk to reach a high shelf.
-- Sam Ewing

Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into a even smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose.
-- Winston Churchill

I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
--Winston Churchill

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
--Douglas Adams

There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
--Douglas Adams

French Fries don't come from the sea! They come from the ocean!
--Me, a few liters of mountain dew later XD

Tech: Ok, please press the P button to print the page.
Idiot: ...Wheres the P button?
Tech: P...on your keyboard...
Idiot: I'M NOT GOING TO DO THAT!

(Delirium) "If this car had great big runny legs like a centipede it could go very fast and we would get there much quicker. Can I?"
(Dream) "...no."
(Delirium) "You never let me do ANYTHING!"
(Dream) "I let you drive."
:: The Sandman: Brief Lives (Neil Gaiman)

"I am an idea. Behind the mask is flesh and blood, but the mask will not die."
"My enemy bedded Liberty, my lover... for she is now blind. And I belong to sweet lady Anarchy."
- V, V for Vendetta

No, not the shitty movie. The awesome comic book.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back