• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Interest Check BAT-13, Colonial Lawkeeping

Punk Mantis

Inactive Member

The Elevator Pitch

The players will find themselves taking the roles of the men and women of MARDET BAR-13. Every fully crewed Bastard-class light cruiser carries 40 such Marines, colloquially known as the "Commander's Shotgun" in Navy parlance. They act as security, brig watch, boarding parties, and the general hands on call when the ship's captain has need for rough action and violence.

And BAT-13 is no exception to this.

Piracy, Red conspiracies, and other troubles are rife throughout the Nepleslian Colonial Expanse. The Marines of BAT-13 and the supporting personnel are given the unenviable task of picking up the slack where private companies, mercenary outfits, and privateers have all failed in the last decade: stamping down on piracy and insurrection, and bringing the Colonial Expanse into something resembling order for the citizens of the Democratic Imperium.

All while making sure that it doesn't blow up in the media, or leave too big a mark on the checkbook.​

What They Do?​

The idea behind the adventures of BAT-13 would be some mixture of small-scale operations, or troubles that are revealed to be bigger than they seem when its almost too late and the nearest appropriately-sized help is literally lightyears away and they probably aren't gonna pick up the phone in time. The Marines of BAT-13 can likely expect to face all sorts of challenges and struggles as they try to do their jobs.

Planetary governors who don't like having off-world detachments mucking about in their business? Mercenary companies who are bitter that the government is cutting into their profits? Pirates who lurk around, waiting to jump on unsuspecting merchant shipping out in the asteroid belt of some dustball system? You name it, and BAT-13 is likely going to have to tackle it at some point.

The idea is that these are situations that can't be solved by just sending in some massive war fleet to squash the problem. Sometimes the problem is too small to be noticed by the bigger Democratic Imperium just yet, but it's too big or too important to leave to the locals on their own. Maybe the antagonists are too subversive, and they've been evading all the right sensors until the right Marine steps aboard one of their ships for a random inspection at a trade-way.

The goal is to focus on a small batch of personnel, going what they can to survive in the moment, rather than in the face of a grand-scale conflict.​

Where They Do It?​

The Nepleslian Colonial Expanse is a fairly new region of space as far as colonization efforts are concerned. It doesn't have the same level of infrastructure, support, resources, or sheere military force projection that the rest of the Democratic Imperium is used to. As a result, they largely turned to private interests to secure and make up for short-comings. This took the form of private companies, mercenary outfits, and even privateers who were willing to take Nepleslian money and turn on their peers, in exchange for the government forgetting past deeds.

And that worked well enough, for a time.

But then the Reds launched guerilla campaigns against the formative colonial governments and very nearly took at least one planet for their own. While they ultimately failed, their work brought to light just how desperate the Expanse needed a more immediate hand. A catch-22. A delicate one, at that.

Send in the 3rd Fleet, and their neighbors will see them as bloodthirsty warhawks.

Do nothing, and they're laissez-faire do-nothings who don't care for their people.

And that is where the sailors and marines of the 1st Reconnaissance Fleet come in.​

fCVykrd.png

Interested?​

Let me know! I'd happily run this if it sounds interesting to you, or to help a site veteran get the whole show rolling.​

I'm interested! I've got two Nepleslian characters who I've hardly gotten to use because the plots they were in died out. I've got a ship Captain and a close combat/scout.

Sounds good to me, perhaps my nep captain can cameo.
More than just that. You will join the plot forever. @krisslanza owes me a character for a plot I retired so I'm cashing in their debt on you and everyone else who so much as reads this post as its a contractual obligation!

For I am here and shall be joining it with one of my fantabulous characters. And everyone knows my presence is an inescapable honey-trap from which few ever regain either their freedom or free will from once entranced by my zany one-liners and quippiest of quips so quoteable they should be put on poster on your wall with such examples of "Well do they smell related?" and "We could win and leave no survivors!"

(Everyone make characters for this plot, time to get some more neppery going.)
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
proof.png <----- LOOK AT THIS LEGITIMATE PROOF OF KRISSLANZA's DEBT AND BLAME THEM FOR YOUR FATES!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Want a 'spacer Freethinker who likes explosions, science, and engineering mechanical horrors? She also likes colorful fabric, knick-knacks, metal music, and all manner of clothing. She was also a space pirate. Eyepatch not included. 40k Power Cutlass maybe.

I was not in any way coerced by Char to offer this. I owe no debts damn it! We need more 'spacers anyways.

I could whip something up as the only characters I have attached to Nepleslian military are two Yamatai exchange servicemembers. I do have a pseudo character that could fill the role (failed sniper turned gunner).

Dont think we have any characters in the setting with a cutlass' unless im wrong.

Its all katanas and the like. I'm suprised we haven't had a gentleman ID-SOL that's like 8-foot tall that holds and uses a zweihander like a rapier!

We have three players now, which is a good start! I for one will be bringing my flagship character Minnie who is a veteran cyborg and minor hero.

Technically I DO have a gentleman ID-SOL. Just, he was first-gen IPG (Quite literally one of the FIRST) who ended up snagging Ryan Veles' daughter as his waifu and not die.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back