• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

RP: YSS Destiny Best Laid Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyton

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Planet: Nepleslia

The starport bustled with activity as the waves of colonists hurried to their transports. The standard rules of travel had been thrown into chaos as citizens from all over sought to arrive before the other on their way to the colony vessel Destiny. Amidst all this turmoil there was at least one figure who walked with a quick purposeful stride.

Nyton Claymere preferred to travel at a brisk pace and maintain his momentum. His duffel bag stored everything efficiently and was slung on his back to keep his hands free and to maintain perfect mobility as he navigated the crowd. Getting trapped behind slow moving gatherings was not his style. With every step he looked for the quickest path that would not lead him into a log jam. Unavoidable at times, nevertheless he minimized it as best as he could. If it seemed rude to hasten his pace when a certain opportunity arose he did not really notice. After all, the space was open and the moment was his to seize. If someone bumped into him then he quickly apologized and continued on his way, swimming into the crowd as best he could. It was as though his plans just continued falling into place.

Of course there was maybe a little bit of luck going in his favor as well. Such is the fortune of war. Having taken leave right after graduation to visit his family on Nepleslia, he no sooner arrived then his orders were cut and sent to his home address.

STAR ARMY FLEET PERSONNEL COMMAND
HEADQUARTERS, KYOTO, YAMATAI

Santô Hei Nyton Claymere,

1. You are assigned to the Destiny Colonization Project.
2. Please respond to this message to ensure it was recieved.
3. If you would prefer a different assignment, let us know.

Issued by:

SA-PERSCOM (Star Army Personnel Command)

Under Authorization of:
TAISHO KETSURUI CHINOMAI MINORI
COMMANDER, STAR ARMY PERSONNEL COMMAND

A little bit of research and Nyton knew the Destiny would be enroute to Nepleslia in two days. Scheduled transfer of the colonists would take a few more days, making one of the days to coincide with the end of his leave. Grinning at the convenience he sent a quick response of acceptance.

TO: SA-PERSCOM

Assignment Acknowledged.
Assignment accepted.
Proceeding towards connection with Destiny Colonization Ship.

And here it was, finally after some technical delay involving some malfunction during initial launch, the Destiny was in Nepleslian space. Nyton had left enough breathing room for his schedule in case of any unforeseen incidences like this but it was all part of the plan.

Nyton smiled inwardly as he continued advancing, the destination gate number replaying in his mind, until he was interrupted by a message coming to him from his comm disc. Upon seeing the origin was from his parents he figured it was just his mother trying to get in one more goodbye before departure. Pulling off to the sides and away from the main mess of the crowd Nyton found a spot that was more stable from which he could hold a conversation.

"Hello? Mom? Is that you?" he replied. "Hello, Nyton? Have you boarded a shuttle yet?" came the voice of his mother. "No mom, not yet. I was still on my way. I'm early enough so don't worry about it." Nyton heard his mother fumbling with something. "Is everything alright?" he inquired. "Nyton, we just got this a few minutes ago. I think you're being reassigned." Nyton paused for a moment. "Reassigned? Mom, go ahead and read me the message."

Nyton's mother then went ahead and read the contents of the message to him:
STAR ARMY FLEET PERSONNEL COMMAND
HEADQUARTERS, KYOTO, YAMATAI

Santô Hei Nyton Claymere,

1. You are reassigned to YSS Sakura, NG-X1-360.
2. Please respond to this message to ensure it was recieved.
3. You are promoted to the rank of Jôtô Hei.

Issued by:

SA-PERSCOM (Star Army Personnel Command)

Under Authorization of:
TAISHO KETSURUI CHINOMAI MINORI
COMMANDER, STAR ARMY PERSONNEL COMMAND

Upon hearing the change in plans Nyton gave a slight sigh. "Is everything alright?" Not wanting to worry his mother he quickly responded. "Its alright mom, these kinds of things happen in the military. Good thing you caught me before I got much farther. It just means I'll have to reroute myself to wherever that ship is stationed. Does the message say anything about where I need to go to report in?" His mother looked around for a few seconds. "It says you need to go to Yamatai and connect from there."

Looking around Nyton tried to find the nearest travel help desk. "Got it. Okay mom, thanks for the help. I guess it would have been embarrassing to arrive at the wrong duty location. At least I got a promotion out of it." he said, chuckling slightly. "Oh and please send back this response. 'Reassignment acknowledged. Departing Nepleslia enroute to new duty location.'" he dictated. After confirming the reply his mother gave a quick congratulation and let him go so he could begin redirecting his travel route.

As Nyton headed for the travel desk he could only shrug. Even the best laid plans sometimes fail. After a few steps though, he shook his head and smiled. The critical moment was still his. He had not yet departed from the terminal plus he was in just the right position to find transport to Yamatai. So even if the objective changed, his plan had not failed him. 'Not failed. Merely changed.' With that he renewed himself towards his goal and assignment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OOC: Thanks for the timely addition of the reassignment orders. They fit in just in time as I posted this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back