• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Big, Scary, and Strong Thaxarians for hire...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skhaal

Inactive Member
Shortly after the heat died down Skhaal and his comrads returned home. They snuck in quietly so as not to wake up dawn for she was sleeping in. Skhaal had recently dabbled in some robotics and bueprinting and created a simple yet solide design for a robot which he named 'Gargoyle' This robot could be useful when they began to travel abit but first he had t accumulate abit more money.

Skhaal looked up various occupatons but a lot didn't suit him until he ran accross one...Mercenary. Skhaal thought he and his men ould be perfect for this and if he assigned all of them into 4 groups of three then they could accumulate money much faster and enough to got and request the commision of one gargoyle unit.

The robot had warped looked legs unlike most robots had, they went downward then up and then down again similiar to the thraknashi dragon beasts of thaxaria. Skhaal couldn't figure out how to make cunctioning wings for it so he took them off original blueprints and replaced them with a bady armor plating that went over the weak joints to protect it even when under siege.

Skhaal also created a weapon in it's functioning mouth and wished to have a A.I. for it so it could atleast fend on its own rationally. Skhaal then put the blue prints in a vault and into his closet and began to get to work on the posters hoping someone would hire them.

"Is Sir back for good, or is this just a quick drop in to say hi?" Pete walked out from the shadows "Would you like me to get you some tea?"

From upstairs Dawn had heard the Thaxarians come in. They had been very quiet, but a childhood on Nepleslia meant that she slept lightly, and was constanly searching for any noise. Unawareness lead to death. Her feelings where mixed. She had not met them much, but from what Pete told her they where geniunly nice people, and after these months with no-one but Pete, she trusted his judgment as much as she trusted her own.

Still, her caution still meant that she was not going to go down and greet them, well at least not yet. She closed her eyes and tried to go back to sleep.

Skhaal went back down stair to greet Pete "Hey there Pete..." this was a surprise being the first time he actually called Pete, Pete "I assume you and Dawn kept the place safe while we were gone?" Skhaal said emotionlessly.

"Yes sir, safe, clean, secure. We've been doing well. Yourself?" Pete began to catalogue in his mind all the things that would be needed to be done.

"I feel like my mind has been craving knowledge and have already read 6 or seven books about robotics and 3 others books with definitions and terms so I think I’m gonna have my little creation commissioned by some company..."

"You could have asked me sir. Thanks to my design, and a general interest, I happen to know quite a bit about robotics, their design and so forth."

"Well hold on and I’ll go get the design..." Skhaal walked up stairs and got the blueprints from the darksteel vault he brought from Thaxaria and then brought it down to Pete "Here"

Pete quickly scanned through the pages "Uh hum. Everything looks to be in order, typically gothic. Shouldn't be too hard to construct, doesn't need anything fancy. You could probably build it with spare parts around Nepleslia, although getting your hands on a small AI might be a little hard. I'm the only one I know about currently."

"I’ve also decided to become a mercenary...anyway do you have a estimate on how much this robot should cost?"

"No sir, prices are fluidic, bartering comes into it a great deal. And your connections. You'd need to have some connections to some of the players of Funky City to get your hands on all of the parts. A mercenary sir? That's very good for you." Pete made his way to the kitchen, where he began to prepare breakfast for all of the Thaxarians "Any requests for what to eat?"

"Something meaty...we have been eating bread for a few weeks straight...And what are players?""

"Oh, the ones with the money and the influence. Mostly those who are part of the underbelly of society. They'd be able to get the parts you needed." Pete took out a large ham, and began to slice it with robotic speed and precision. "You'd most likely meet them as a mercenary."

"Hmm...so do you see any flaws in the design of the robot at all?"

"No, not really, sir. It's an effective combat robot, good at close combat, and with ranged abilities. It's shielding is reasonable. It won't be able to stand up to truly modern technology, but it will do fine on Nepleslia I think. It's only minor problem is that it is highly conspicuous. People can notice it coming, and prepare. It wouldn't be much good if it got where it wanted to go and had a array of RPG's aimed at it." Pete carefully applied seasoning to the ham, slid a tray full of ham slices into the oven, set a countdown in his head for when they would be ready, before straightening up. "Why are you designing it may I ask sir? Do you need any more fire power?"

"Oh, and one more minor thing sir, it's only a trivial matter, but I didn't notice a power source."

"That’s why I only plan on using it at night when people’s paranoia is strongest so it would sneakily come down and frighten whoever but its last line of defence or offence is ranged combat."

"And the power source sir?"

"One final note before answering your question is that its going to be offensive and defensive and its powersource I’m not sure...any suggestions?"

"Oh sir, a difficult decision, since their are many possibilities, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. Unless you want to sped a great amount of money, you'd have to go for a high capacity battery. Other options include a fusion generator, and anti-matter generator, or and aetheric generator."

"Which of the three generators are the best?"

"Well, the aetheric is an unlimited power source, but it's the most advanced, and therefore the hardest to get your hands on. The fusion generator has a high energy out put, but not as high as an anti-matter generator. However, if those fail they can cause an explosion equivalent to a thermonuclear device." Pete shrugged "It's all a matter of preference really."

"How much will the battery cost?" obviously not liking the explosion part.

"Again it depends what your looking for, and who you know. I can't just set you a figure sir, I haven't looked around. You could get one of the major corporations to sell you one though. I believe Emrys Industries and NovaCorp both have shops here. They would most likely be able to get their hands on one."

"Also what other devices would be useful for it?" The thaxarians listened confused by Skhaal's words.

"Well sir, you'll need to get your hands on some shielding devices. Something that small is advanced, and therefore exspensive, NovaCorp sells a Veil personal shield device, but that wouldn't be powerfull enough for this. For the mouth cannon, I can only suggest some form of laser, or possibly a hex weapon."

"Alright your coming with me cause i don't know where anything is..."

"As you wish sir. Who do you want to see first: NovaCorp, Emrys, or the Crimelords?"

"I guess crimelords since they will most likely supply the body and perhaps some others things...hopefully they don't want one for themselves..." -he said as he opened the door for Pete to lead.-

"Sir, I am a servant. I do not know the whereabouts of the crimelords, and if I did, there is no reason for them to see you. First you must catch their attention, prove that you are someone worthy of their attention. You said you where going to be a mercenary yes? Well then simply hire yourself around, and if your successful the players will notice you. Then you can make this automated killing machine." Pete wasn't personally that happy about it, because he didn't like for sentient beings, be they organic or mechanical, to be designed for the sole purpose of killing.

"Alright ill save that for later...alright which one now...emrys or novacorp...hmm...let us goto novacorp"

"Wait...Im not automating this thing for combat I only want to make one"

"Alright sir, but are you requesting that we leave Dawn here by herself, without even telling her where we are going?" Pete tried to keep the disapproval out of his voice.

"The thaxarians are there"

"She will be fine besides I already left a note..."

"You did sir? Oh, I missed that. I just thought that I should say that I had left for a few hours. But then again it is three in the morning." Pete quietly took a piece of paper and a pen of the side board and wrote a note, not using his eyes "Dawn, I'm going out with Mr. Skhall, we're trying to get parts for a robot of his. I will be back later." He left the not on the table. "Your right sir, let's go now."

"After you my mechanical friend"

Pete was somewhat surprised at being called a friend, but he hid it as only an android can. He downloaded a general map of the city into his brain, from a storage device he kept in the house. He quickly located the NovaCorp shop and tried to plot a route towards it. "This way sir."

"Have you found a good route Pete?" Skhaal asked curiously and abit hastily since he wasn't sure if the neplasian police would be watching still.

"Yes sir, although I don't know if your going to be able to use the shop sir. I don't think NovaCorp has made it a habit of servicing wanted men. Do you want to try anyway?" Pete said calmly

"Wait a minute... I remember novacorp they picked me up once..."

"Yes sir. But that does not necessarily mean they will help you now you are a wanted man. Do you want to try your luck?"

"Yes"

"Right our are sir. If you have any money I suggest we get that." Pete pointed at a tank like vehicle that was coming down to street, "It is expensive, but the police won't see you, and you'll be safe. Not a problem for you, I'm sure, but an added bonus."

"How much do they cost and where do I buy one?"

Pete laughed politely "Sir, you do not buy one. You get on board and say where you want to go, you are then driven to where you want. At the end of the journey you pay depending on the length of the journey. It's a new thing run by Emrys Industries. For a journey of this length a price of 200 KS might be in order, although if we run into trouble it could cost more."

"Fine...although I would like to have a big juggernaut of a vehicle to myself in the future..."

"Of course you do sir." Pete began to walk towards the vehicle, signalling it to not move off. They soon arrived and the shield deactivated, as well as the doors opening, to let them in. It revealed several rows of comfortable seats. Pete sat down and the perfect Iron doors slammed closed.

"Where too?" The driver asked through a speaker system.

"NovaCorp store. Downloading location." Pete transmitted the location to the vehicles computer.

The vehicle began to trundle down the roads at surprising speed, and within a matter of minutes they had arrived. "That will be 204 KS."

Pete paid through an electronic currency transfer, and the doors slid open. Pete led the way out. "That's the shop there sir." He pointed at a non-descript shop.

Pete pressed a button connected to a communication device on the wall "We are two potential customers. Can you let us in please?"

"Right. I'll lower the shield." Their was a glimmer as an energy shield disapeard from around the building, invisible before but illuminated in it's deactivation. A muscular Nepleslian came out. "Well don't stand about, come in why don't you?"

The Nepleslian led them into the body of the shop, which was significantly nicer than the outside, brightly lit, with the wall adorned with items of NovaCorp make. "You look to be Skhall. Saw you on a poster. Don't worry, things said in this place don't leave, I amputated the walls ears long ago. Anyway, what can I do you for? I see you've already had the good judgment of buying one of our android assistants, and unless I'm very much mistaken that's a NovaCorp pistol hidden under your cloak. We have the works here, Reavers, Xaser riflles, Carbon ring body armour, probably not in your size though, Veil's, Arachni drones, although if the rumours are true you already have some of them. So what do you want?"

“I’m looking for a power source for a robot I have thought up so I’m going about looking for a good power source...oh and also a shield generator" He said feeling abit relieved inside the building

"Right, well I need to know what out put you want for the power source, it's duration, and what it's going to power. And how powerful do you need the shield?"

"Pretty powerful...not the most powerful but powerful enough."

"That's pretty vague. But I think I could get my hands on something. It wouldn't be cheap though, a custom job. Equally I really need to know more about the robot before I can suggest a power source.

"Well I have the blue prints but I mostly fear its design will be taken by a company and mass produced with a more aggressive A.I. than I plan to get on it"

"Good good. But that doesn't help me know what to advise for a power source."

"Alright...ill give you the blue prints to look at..."-he hands the man the blue prints.-

"Thanks. Well what you have appears to be run of the mill, nothing special. Your looking for a reasonable out put, for a sustained time, I suggest give him twice what he has." He fingered at Pete "It'll work well."

"I have been wanting to make it unique...oh wait what about stealthing?"

"Stealthing? There's nothing about that in the designs."

"I just thought it up...I sorta haven’t put it on yet being a incomplete blue print...damn I need help but just get the shield generator if you can"

"Well the stealth isn't easy. I could advise plasmonic shielding and a counter-sound system, but I can't fit them here. In fact you'd have to go to the Fenyar Cloud to get that fitted. That would make it invisible and silent."

"Ill have to...wait...where did we leave that ship tht we let that elysian look at?"

"Well, I wouldn't really know, being a shop clerk, but from what I heard it's on the Horizon still. I have a friend in the research team. Supposedly Ephesus cracked all the secrets but left on the Destiny before he told anyone."

"Wait...isn't that here on Nepleslia? The destiny I mean."

"In a few hours it will be floating above are heads. Yep."

"Alright...good...well i will need some wire and other supplies for the robot right?"

"Wire's? You want Wires? Well if that's what you want to use?" The man went into the back and picked up a huge roll of wire. "What type you want?"

"Unless there’s something better?"

"Actually...do you know much about robotics?"

The man laughed "Of course I do. Well your going to want some for of intelligent material for the muscles, that's simply a material that contracts when an electric current passes through it. It's what your friend their uses, but for additional strength I'd have to get some custom ones from the Horizon. As for wires, well you can't wrong with these," He took out a roll "They have next to no electrical resistance, and have EMI resistance inbuilt."

"Well could the custom of whatever you just said...heh I may have read about 9 manuals on robotics but I’m no expert...well I need it so it can make the robot agile and quick and also have great enough strength to take down non-fatally I might add, its opponent. also what is a extremely endurant metal around here because we have brought A metal known as darksteel from our home planet and well im not sure how it would withstand a assault from xasers and those other odd weapons..."

"I have no idea what darksteel is. However we sell three types of strong material, perfect diamond, perfect iron, and carbon-ring. However they're all expensive, and I'd have to send the request to the Fenyar Cloud. We don't have the facilities to make it here."

"Um do you have any samples? id like to see how the metal of Thaxaria would withstand against these odd metals..."

"Samples? Well I have a trial carbon-ring chest plate, and some perfect Iron and Perfect diamond plates, but what are you going to do with them? We have a strict policy of you buy whatever you damage."

"Fine how much will they cost? Im kinda afraid to ask heh..."

"Carbon ring you can't buy. No price has been set on it, and my trial is not for being taken out of this shop. The perfect Iron and perfect Diamond's price is variable. Basically I decide until firmer regulations are put in place."

"oh...hmm...how am I going to find out how strong this dense metal is now...oh well Ill take the wire and order the two custom items"

"Right. That will be 200 ks for the wiring."

"Alright I should have enough" -pulls out 200 ks and hands it to the man "Thanks for doing business"

"Right. I'll try and get those items for you then. I'll call you when I'm in a position to get them."

"Alright see ya novacorp" he left the shop and crossed his arms, waiting for Pete looking around keeping an eye out for Nepleslian police.

Pete was examining some stuff on the wall, some inbuilt electronics and wondering whether he'd be good with them. He noticed that Skhaal had left the shop and went out after him, hearing the shield reactivate behind him.

"So now where are we off to next? that other hop you told me about?"

"What do you want from there sir?"

"To see what they have on inventory"

"What do you still need sir? They tend to be less technologically advanced currently, and they haven't any Robot models, so I don't see what your trying to accomplish. Unless your planning on buying your own weapons/"

"Wait...could we get that weapon for inside the gargoyles mouth here or id I just forget about it?"

"I advised a Hex weapon. NovaCorp is the only one that sells those."

"Then we are unfinished here" -He walks back to the shop.-

Noticing that Skhaal was likely to walk into the shield, Pete ran ahead and activated the communication device. "Mr. Skhaal forgot that he would like to have a energy weapon for the mouth. I was thinking that a Hex weapon would be possible. Do you think you could get one for the mouth, reasonable power?"

"Sure, I'll do that too."

"You could tell me things you know...Im more than likely to understand..."

"Of course Sir, I will remember that next time."

"Good...now I wonder if anyone has came by the house that is interested in hiring u...alright we are done lets go home"

"Very good sir. This way." Pete began walking back to the house and Dawn, and the now certainly burnt ham. He doubted the Thaxarians had remembered to take them out.

Thaxarians may have been technologically inept but they knew how to cook meat very well. The ham had been taken out precisely when it smelled it best and was fully cured and cooked. As Skhaal and Pete neared the house to Pete’s surprise wasn't full of smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back