Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 September 2024 is YE 46.7 in the RP.

OOC Black Knights/Byakuren Discussion

So, Doshii and I have spent a sizeable part of our day arguing by e-mail like a married couple.

Doshii has finally decided to embrace masochism, and just roll forward as things are presently.

Which leaves @Tom and @Khasidel still to post.

Heh, well if Doshii is okay with it, but I think the seeding process needs more drama for Yukari after what she went through. That seemed so flat and yeah, puppy kicking.

On the flip side, Nyton's thoughts make a very good point. If an Umbral is killed, but it seeded people, is it ever truly destroyed?

Okay, I don't enjoy being openly second-guessed in my own plot. Especially when I feel ganged up on. Backseat driving and all.

I don't see anyone portraying Umbrals on this site except me. There's an experience I'm trying to deliver, I'm trying to distinguish this encounter from Mefpralphra's... and damn it, you know what kind of GM I am and how I'm pretty ruthless with the NPCs - I'm kind of hardcore. I still have make calls even though I may not enjoy every one of them. And then I have to stand by them; even though I'll admit to a dichtotomy between what I feel is important and what players actually care about. Suffice to say what I wrote wasn't necessary for the scenario, but it was written because it was part of what I thought this particular Umbral Elder could and would do. That includes Yukari's willpower being crushed almost effortlessly by a creature that's thousands of years old and populated by a collective of several thousands minds acting in concert; especially considering she's been left relatively pristine by her previous encounter with Mefpralphra; whereas in different ways Nyton and Tom have been toughened up on top of being the kind of player race that's actually more resistant to this: human.

Critique from Tom kind of worked because he is involved in the plot itself, though I would've prefered questioning my competency would've come through private channels. Because, openly like this, this is what it's been feeling like. I'm not closed to negative feedback... because it's frankly the only way I can improve things is by being told what works and what doesn't. But not like this.

So, kindly get off my case. If you feel compelled to apologize, don't. Just drop it. What I want now, on this issue, is silence. I talked it out with Doshii, and now I'm waiting for the contribution of two other people.

No harm meant from my comments, which admittedly are a little shallow as I do not have a historical background on just what an Umbral is capable of, and just how cooperative your players are wih taking that portrayal to its full fleshed out splendor. In that respect, you're doing an amazing job and quite honestly is why I am watching this plot intently. So do continue good sir. :)

Wanted to add a bit of flavor to shooting at Yukari and revealing the why behind it. If it reads like Tom's taking way too long to make a decision, I'll edit down to him shooting at her.

Dunno how fast the speed of thought is, after all.

I know, that's always a tricky one for me. Just how long can I philosophize in my characters head before he's just staring out at nothing and not moving fast enough to react? Then you've got all this sci-fi computer brains running around so maybe they can think at super hi speeds?

@MoonMan @Nyton @Doshii Jun @Tom @Khasidel
I just posted. Some details about that:

Doshii, you just mentioned Reika being distracted. I'm not sure what's that about, but I'll explain something else just in case because I figure this could be a concern: the-voice-in-Nyton's-head (*cough* *cough* Melisson *cough* *cough*) said she seeded Reika and Tom. Both aren't aware of that. A seed was placed, and if Melisson has her way, they'll both never notice. The seed actually moving to take action is a different matter entirely, but this is not happening here (i.e.: Nyton crushing on Hinoto, Tom's recent takeover, Yukari's recent takeover).

Last edited:
I admit to some confusion also on Yukari charging to aim for the helicopter... to then fire at an odd angle (the helicopter? somewhere else?) and then firing at Reika.

I ended up translating as considering to fire on the helicopter, not feeling she could afford it, then firing up to perhaps distract/draw attention up before then aiming directly for Reika.

Out of curiosity , when did Melisson have an opportunity to implant her seed in Reika?

It's just that I don't recall having them ever actually meet directly... though I remember you once suggested that Reika might have some sort of interview / exchange with Melisson (digging for more background info on Kotori), but I don't think we ever actually went ahead and did it.

Is it that a seed -- like the one that has apparently been in Nyton for a while -- can spread to another person on its own somehow?

Just trying to figure out how it works :)

Anywhosit; gonna write my response for the thread now!

Last edited:
Nyton is a carrier and thus does not make it necessary for Reika to have been in Mel's presence. Any seeded being can spread the psionic seed. It's what makes the Umbral so dangerous. Among other things.

Mind-controlled friends, tentacled monstrosities on fire, near death experiences, machine gun helicopters, wrecked chateaus on a rooftop... now a naked Ketsurui princess catgirl. Wow this plot has everything! :)

(And yes, Melisson is a cutie.)

Last edited:
RPG-D RPGfix
Back