• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Abandoned Submission [Bladeworks] Pile driver update

IQ

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
So, just from the standpoint of an IRL mechanic with knowledge of engineering- This thing is too complicated, and has too many moving parts to break. Also, does it need to be Aether powered? Seems excessive when a set of high-capacity capacitors or similar would work.

Try to simplify it, perhaps a Solenoid and a set of reduction gears to increase the velocity and simplify the power system as well?

Also, what scale is this? Personnel? Power Armor? Mecha?

all that aside, I really like pile drivers and a pile driver polearm sounds like a lot of fun.

Hmm. I was thinking on this recently, actually. But didn't change since I had no ruling yet. It has a lot of moving parts since it's an early draft-

But mayhaps some sort of blast mechanism? Though I'm not sure what substance would cause the blast that makes the tip into a proper pile driver.

A pile driver just needs sufficient acceleration to damage whatever it is hitting. A blast is very good, and often quite simple, but it comes at the expense of needing some kind of ammunition, IE, a gunpowder charge or compressed air, as are most commonly used today. However, with the setting's prevalence of high-efficiency Gauss coils and other electromagnetic propulsion methods, a simple Gauss Solenoid (Literally a goil gun with a captive projectile) you can have the same effect with effectively limitless ammunition, either using some form of capacitor or by attaching the polearm to a generator of some kind.

This review is for: Origin Upgrade
https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=wip:origin_pile_driver_energy_shield_upgrade

The submitted article is/has…
[NO] A very high level of overall quality
[NO] A general topic sentence under the title header

[NO] Artwork (Required for new species; Strongly recommended for vehicles and hand weapons) - does not need
[/] Needed and/or useful to the setting unsure
[NO] In the proper format/template
[NO] Proofread for spelling and grammar

[X] Easy to read and understand (not a lengthy mass of technobabble)
[NO] Wikified (terms that could be a link should be a link)
[X] No red and/or broken links
[X] Reasonably scientifically plausible
[X] Reasonably neutral point of view

The submitted article is/does not…
[X] Overpowered (or cutting tech for a faction with little or no roleplay)
[X] Obtusely redundant
[X] Contain copy pasta descriptions of systems or interior compartments
[YES] Unauthorized by faction managers or player-controlled corporation
[X] Contain references to IC events that have not occurred (SM must authorize retcons)
[X] Use second-person language (“you” or “your”) unless it is an instructional guide aimed at players.
[X] Use bombastic language (“virtually immune,” “nearly indestructible,” “insanely powerful,” “horrible effects”)
[X] Use an unbalanced header/text ratio (many headers but sections are one-liners)
[X] Use major unapproved sub-articles that should be submitted separately
[X] Lacking Detail
[X] Images hosted on sites other than stararmy.com (Photobucket, Imageshack, etc are not allowed)

The article has…
[X] Speeds in compliance with the Starship Speed Standard, if applicable
[NOT PRESENT] Damage Capacity and Damage Ratings in compliance with the DR Guidelines
[NOT PRESENT] The in-character year of creation/manufacture. (Should be current year. Future years not allowed).
[NOT PRESENT] The Standard Product Nomenclature System, if applicable.

Summary

- No prose in the section
- It's error(s): see https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=guide:its
- Spellcheck needed
- Bullet point contains way too much text - I recommend using a header === Pile Drive Upgrade === instead of Pile Driver upgrade:

Notes
Aether weapons are restricted under Yamataian law

I intend to finish this review by: June 7, 2018

Thanks! I'll probably do it with a gauss solenoid and have induction ram the actual pike forward. With one seperate chargable cartridge that holds enough for 400-ish charges, before needing to be hooked up to some kind of powersource. I was planning on using it for PA's due to the mechanism, so maybe even directly tapping into their powersource could work?

Also, @Wes the bullet point is to conform it to the Origin blade works list. If it still needs changing, no issue. It is also not a weapon in and off itself, but an upgrade for Origin Blade Works given weaponry. Much like their energy field projection upgrade. This is why it doesn't follow a traditional template nor has it dedicated art.

Aside from these uncertainties, I will see to the changes and tag both you and @Kai when done.

Last edited:
Make my requested changes that are basically streamlining grammar and wait for Wes' reply.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back