• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Implemented Build a Leaflet.js-Based Interactive Map to Replace Current Image-Based Starmap

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
This suggestion is based on something @Whisper showed me. Basically think Google Maps but for the Star Army universe. A map with moveable, place-able icons and labels and information that you can click on, find routes between, and update over time. Rather than me basically editing a picture I can use a background image map and we can place stars on that. Whisper can tell you more in the following post.

If you like this idea, please upvote it.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
You can see a demo of what this might be like here: https://sarpmap.whisperworks.net/

Map markers can be customized, quick-nav to various locations, and other customization details are all possible with pretty minimal effort after the initial conversion.

I wanted to make something like this since I first joined back up with SARP. I finally sat down and made it for some personal projects (Eberron, for example!). The code could use some cleaning up and better organization, but it's nothing that prevents it from being used right now.

I told Wes that I could continue to host it or that he can host it himself. Depending on the scope of additional feature requests or customizations, I'm happy to provide support.

Do we really need to vote on this? This is way too cool a feature not to just implement.

It would also be a cool way to keep track of refit stations, starbases, starships, fleet deployments, ECT. I know one thing that has been annoying for me is I look up a planet or try to see where a fleet is based out of and I look at the old picture and I spend half an hour trying to find the location to no avail.

^ This is the kind of thing really needed for SARP, especially with tools like FTL speed. My programming skills aren't nearly good enough for this, but I am familiar with JS enough I could learn leaftlet.JS to help organize it a bit when I can.

FTL speed would need to be tweaked a bit for SARP, it seems like it's using a slower speed, but the idea is great. That said, I'd miss the color overlays for borders and such.

The borders would still be there. *head scratch*

But having actual text labels means they could be searched!

I could set it up so that the overlays were also part of the data. Or we could just keep those as part of the image. Whatever works!

The FTL would definitely need to be adjusted - I'd need some baseline to get started and then I could provide a couple of travel times based on common FTL speeds.

Last edited:
Based on great feedback and votes, I plan to implement this suggestion soon!

Update: This is sort of done, the only problem we have is getting the icons for each system to render. Once we figure that out, we can start marking more systems and adding new maps.

I just want to update everyone that this is in active development and there's been huge improvements lately. I hope to install the newest version tomorrow and start letting you guys try it out.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back