• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Approved Submission C5F

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Sure. It is supposed to be able to hold whatever industrial stuff you need from ship building stuff to industrial refinery equipment for metals.

This is a good idea. Cheap, simple, clean. It's good to see that the USO will be able to phase me out without missing a beat. I'd hate for anyone to have to waste too much time trying to build quality things like space stations ICly from the ground up for all to share when we can just give everyone one of these! That's way more efficient. Good thinking!

What? It's a compliment! You've simplified the whole process of manufacturing. This is one of those really awesome ideas that make everything simpler. You can have Howard Station, which all of the USO players completely ignore and neglect or you can make them responsible for their own problems with manufacturing. I mean, if you can't get people to work together as a team that supports each other then by all means they better be able to do for themselves. This fits your idea for the USO much better than mine did, really, this is going to be really useful.

bruuuuuh.jpg

Who's been working with you to make tech that we can share, helped you with your ships, constantly gave FSC stuff to do, uses howard station for construction of all his big ships, setup all of B7R for the FSC to work on (Well... Candon did that by blasting the place, but still)

I'm trying to help you out here but you're making it harder than it needs to be. Howard station can't be everywhere and these will be great to put in the other star systems. They aren't even T15 massive space-station size so they don't overlap with your stuff.

True but I'm reducing FSC with the intent of dissolving it. I still don't even know what the future of Howard Station is. What I'm saying is that this is a perfect replacement for my failed idea. None of the players want to use the station, everyone wants to do things solo. Now you can continue space construction techniques without having to worry about FSC and make mobile repairs. That is not a negative thing at all. Really, it makes it easier for me to accomplish my goal of getting out of a Corp and if I had a choice between the station and these I'd pick a bunch of C5Fs any day.

When you use images, you can put a | after the "nolink" and then add hovertext there before closing the brackets. I've done that for your asterisk text because it looks silly. If you prefer it to be not hovertext, I'd use an infobox to contain both the image and the descriptive text.

In any case! Let's see if this submission meets the requirements for inclusion in Star Army's lore...

[ ] 1. The destination URL should be a page in the appropriate namespace and titled lower_case_with_underscores
[ ] 2. The article is in the appropriate format and article template
[ ! ] 3. The article follows our wiki style guidelines, including: No forced line breaks, text after each section header, etc.
[ ✔! ] 4. The article is easily read and free of errors in spelling and grammar
[ ! ] 5. Links to other wiki articles are present as appropriate
[ ] 6. The article fits into the Star Army universe's space opera theme and technology levels
[ ] 7. Images in the article are hosted on Star Army's wiki and sourced responsibly (contact Wes privately if there's a concern)
[ ] 8. The article is original and doesn't contain copy-pasted content from other articles.
[ ] 9. The article complies with Star Army's rules in terms of damage ratings, speed limits, etc.
[ ] 10. The Faction Manager(s), if applicable, have posted approval for this article in this thread.

Here's some fixes this article still needs:

1. I do my initial read-through with the edit page open, so fixed minor spelling and grammar errors. FYI, you have a little issue with saying "exsisting" instead of "existing." Please do a quick once-over to make sure I didn't miss anything or mess anything up.

2. "of the C5 hull 'bread boards' for" should be changed to "of the C5 hull "breadboards" for" and link to the c5 article breadboard subheading (corp:wazu:c5#breadboard). I will let you do this.

3. While I think the tier is too high for what it is, DRv3 dictates that you already put it in the correct tier for its size.

4. You need a small bit of text under the main "Ship Systems" area. Maybe a little description of how variable this C5f is.

5. Under "Armored Hull" I'd like to see a bit more text. Since it's just a bunch of tubes and a couple C5 modules, you should describe in prose what vital components are protected. I know this might seem like much, but we've got to get the most article we can out of ships that are heavily modular and link to other stubs.

6. Under "Computer and Electronics," please describe what the computer containers can do autonomously or by wireless. You say that command shuttles can be docked. But in the absence of those shuttles, how do these things get orders? Are they given a big floppy disk back home? Does a shuttle program their task every time? Can they receive building orders wirelessly? This section is where you'd say that.

7. Speaking of setup, up under the main "Inside the Ship" header, you should add a little sentence about how raw materials are stored. Are they just strapped in with big ol' space nets? Are containers added within the superstructure or outside of it? Sorry for the rewind, here, but I don't really want to reorder my list.

When these fixes are made, please post a reply here so I can re-check the article. It's a long list but shouldn't be that much to do. In the time it took me to review this, it could have already been done; quick, easy fixes. Thank you!

One thing I'm curious about is this; will this ship be treated as a shipyard once it's in place, and is there anything that stops it from being abused to bypass the allowed number of shipyards per system?

Space stations/shipyards are just big ships that maneuver poorly. That seems to be what the C5f is. The text of the article states that these exist so that the USO doesn't need to build really big and expensive space industry in freshly-uplifted systems that cannot support a more substantial sci-fi presence. So it seems to me that they are intended to work within the current OOC rules; it looks like Zack created these so his faction could have temporary industry that makes sense from an IC perspective and conforms to the buildup limitations.

That said, military buildup limitations are handled between FMs and the Setting Manager, usually in the GM/FM board. The NTSE process doesn't police how ships are utilized after they are approved so long as they conform to standards during submission. We handle damage rating, speed, and whether the new thing is setting appropriate.

Since Alex's post is the third allusion in this thread to the MBL, I think we can say the community is sufficiently aware of a possible issue and should address that issue in the correct place, which isn't here.

Any suggestions on how Zack could make his article better?

The Military Buildup Limitations already cover this situation, actually. If the C5f can build starships, it counts as one of the twenty shipyards USO is allowed under the Military Buildup Limitations. If it can’t, then, well, it doesn’t.

The requested changes have been made:

1: Spell checked
2: Linked
3: N/A
4: added a line under ship systems
5: added a bit more text under armored hull, but really this line is here to just link to the durandium article.
6: Added in that the electronics containers can be run wirelessly/remotely. The specifics about that are in the container listing
7: Also added a bit about raw material storage tanks in the Inside the ship header.

Great. Changed it over to "Heavy Starship" instead of "Light Capital Ship" because T12 is "Heavy Starship." Also fixed some minor style thing.

Because I let this sit for so long and there were no substantive objections raised during that extended time, this should be good to go.

APPROVED

RPG-D RPGfix
Back