• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Can Yamataian Power Armors function without a body inside? (Mini-Neko adaptation thoughts)

Toshiro

I want to know if Yamataian Power Armor can stand on its own structural support and function without a body inside them, for the purposes of perhaps making a helmet which a Mini-Neko can use as a cockpit. It would be a good stop-gap until an actual modern Mini-Neko PA solution and also cost-effectinve/time-effective for the war effort. OOCly, it's a good way to allow plotships with normal PA to support the occasional Mini-Neko crew member without having to rely on other specialized hardware and armaments in the interim. A Mini-Neko using such a system could both fight and better perform non-combat duties aboard the ship.

Hmm... maybe a sort of, semi-improvised mechanical "skeleton" might work?
Effectively filling the role of a body, and you can even take it in and out of the suit if needed.

I was pondering that skeleton earlier, but by then I should just make a Mini-Neko-exclusive Armor. If the Armor didn't need a supporting body inside to move it (strength augmentation should be possible in the Armor), the helmet swap would have been a nice option.

As far as mini Neko go, their SPINE are what they need to plug in to power armor and be able to wear the armor, right? So just change the SPINE portion of a Mindy 4 to be used by a mini, maybe just in the neck area? Sorry but those are just initial thoughts. I think the SAoY made an Elysian and Kodian variant of the M4, so why not mini Neko?

Because Mini-Neko are so small that most of the Mindy is empty. If the Mindy can't move without a body inside its limbs and joints, that's a problem for what I want to try. That was the hold up -- if a Mindy needed a body inside it to maintain its shape and move properly.

Couldn't a hemosynth insert be made to fill in the gaps between mini Neko body and armor?

Hmm...possibly, IF the insert provided enough structural support on demand to make it work. It's a question of how far is practical for the 'stop-gap', I suppose.

Edit: Actually, why don't we just have the helmet make the existing hemosynthetic insert grow/swell up when the helmet tells it to so that the armor is full of something to work with/exert force on? Would that work, @Wes ?

Last edited:
@Wes I think there is an idea here that needs your input.

I don't think edited tags work.

It would be pretty simple to make an article that essentially says "this is a person-sized mecha that is a robot that has the same capabilities as a [[Mindy 4]] and the following cockpit head (insert unique stuff about the head here)" right?

While I intend to make such a thing, such an article will have to stand on its own merits rather than just go "Mindy-based". Also, such a machine would be able to be a mecha with cheaper (but thicker) Durandium Armor, which gives the same defense and notably higher top speed. Also, having a "drop-in" stop-gap for the Mindy series would be both a good interim solution and a way for plots to support their Mini-Neko better.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back