• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Implemented Character Groups

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
This idea is to implement Character Groups.

The purpose of character group pages is to reduce red tape for GMs by allowing creation of pages for multiple characters, such as the background crew on your plot's starship.

Group pages are for groups of characters, such as
  • Minor crew of the YSS Battle of Yamatai
  • A band of NPCs who live in Sood Zadra
  • Star Army officers who work at the Emergency Aid Line
Group pages can be used for when you don't necessarily want to use a bunch of NPC character pages. Using them helps prevent low-quality stub articles for minor characters that really only need a couple of lines to describe them. They can be used for specific groups but also for generic groups like "a Mishhuvurthyar Scout Team." You can also use them as a kind of monster manual for GMs to use as enemies. They can be used for groups of people that aren't a faction or corp, such Senator Iemochi's family, or a Yamataian clan. Groups could also be really useful for things like NPC enemies who appear in multiple places, such as a band of Rixxikor scavengers.

Here's how I see it working:
  1. Group pages go in in the wiki namespace groups:
    • I'll make an easy wiki template for them that appears when you create a page there
  2. Groups will also have an associated struct, making it extremely easy to automatically list them on other pages like places and plots.
    • Groups can be assigned to places or plots, including multiples or a mix of both
  3. Character pages can optionally be assigned to groups (currently you can do this only for clans).
  4. Groups can be approved basically the same way as characters are
If you like this suggestion, please be sure to vote on it. Vote tools are generally located to the right on desktop and below the post on mobile.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Upvoted, this could be very useful!

#SARA will get right on it as soon as you give the word, Boss.

This seems really useful for GMs, like you said, I'm already imagining how I might use this in some upcoming stuff.

funny enough i pitched a idea similar to this to Shadow for a small group within the Golden Band. This would be fun for players.

Is there a minimum number of characters to be in one of these? I would love one page for my trio of saint girls, not three pages. Is that too few characters, though?

I was thinking 2 or more, for example the Bardoon Twins could be a group.

Hint: Also Nekovalkyrja historically were made in groups of three.

Wow! This is, I think, the most popular suggestion Star Army's ever had! Thanks for your votes and feedback everyone! I'll implement this immediately.

@Wes could use struct templates to build the social connections section of a character sheet

Alright, this is up and running in a basic format. If you have an existing group, please move it into the groups: namespace and update the struct.

I will add additional group features soon such as the ability to set a group symbol or logo image.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back