• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Cheapest Way To Get A Phone Number/Plan?

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Phone numbers are useful for many things. For example, resumes without phone numbers are usually tossed and Discord requires verified phone numbers for some features and servers. So if you're a SARPer who is short on cash, and need a working cell number, what is the best and cheapest way(s) to get one? I figured I'd crowdsource the community as there's at least one of our people who's got this problem.

Some ideas I had:
  • Google Voice (but you need a working number to get a GV number so that didn't work)
  • Set up Star Army with a Ringcentral business account and get some VOIP numbers to share among the community - $20 for 20 people basically
  • I or someone who can add lines cheaply to an existing a family & friends plan could add a line for another SARPer (requries a lot of trust but cost effective)
What ideas do you have?

It might not work for a number of (increasingly) services. They want phone numbers that have your name as the owner of the number and not the VOIP. I have had this problem starting last year since I parked an old number as I didn't want to lose it and it no longer works. I'm sure it helps with fighting spam/fraud (*snickers*), but it hurts normal people that have reasons for not having a "traditional" phone plan.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back