• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Corrin felt the ship's engine shake through his bones...

Corrin

Inactive Member
... as it slowed to a crawling stop. Everything shook fiercely as it made contact with the station's dock port. Steadying himself, Corrin stepped out to the new world of Star Army for the first time. Not used to this new gravity and atmosphere, he felt a bit like a fish out of water. However he'd heard many great things from wanderers and drunk bar patrons boasting about their tales of adventure. He knew it would take time, but this felt like a place he could eventually plant his boots and call home.

Hey everyone! My name is Corrin. I'm not new to RPing, but i'm also not a vet either. When I was a teenager I used to RP on Star Wars themed forums, but that eventually came to a stop. I'm an aspiring writer, trying to hone my skills and hopefully write a novel soon (after some more short stories). I've been intrigued by RPing, and wanted to give it another chance. I both miss it, and find it a good opportunity to just let go and practice my writing skills.

After finding these forums, the world and concept intrigue me. Although I'll admit that the world seems to have a lot of background to sift through, but I'm willing to read as much as I can to get a feel for the atmosphere. I've read a few pages, including the new players' guide, and I'm going to make my character ASAP (a cool drifter type with a gun he treats like a beloved pet). If there are any other documents I should read through feel free to steer me in the right direction!

Looking forward to my new adventures!

Hello Corrin, Welcome to the SARP.

I am Nashoba, one of the Site Admins, GM of three different plots, and involved with three different factions.

While there is a lot of information, you can make things a big easier when starting out by focusing on a particular faction. Each one has its own unique back story, culture, etc. The new players guide was the best place to start. Another thing to do is one you have chosen a faction is take a look at the Active Plots page. Because there is nothing worse than making a character only to find there is no place for them to jump in.

Once you get your first character going, there is nothing to stop you from joining other plots. We have a diverse universe so feel free to embrace it.

Obviously you are going to have questions. You can use this thread to post your questions. Or you can visit our chat, there are normally plenty of folks there who are can answer most basic questions.

I look forward to seeing you around the forums.

Thanks for the tips!

That's true, looking it over it seems easier if I'm part of a faction, rather than starting as an independent (which I was originally planning on doing).

I think I'll try joining a plot. I was think of either trying for:

4th AASP Fleet (because of my interest in the Neplesians)
21st Squadron (make a good ol' fashioned fighter pilot character, and it appears more active)

Also been looking at some of the ships to join on as crew... but it's not as appealing. Unless one needs a good marksmen/marine.

Sorry if I missed it, but in the Open RP forum we can just join with brand new characters made for those plots, correct? There's no approval needed or anything?

Sounds very Nepleslian indeed! I know at least one other person he might get along with quite well. :)

The Open RP forums are essentially a free-for-all with any material posted there being treated as quasi-canon. No prior approval is needed, so just jump into one that strikes your fancy (unless the player who started it specifically designates it as restricted participation), or feel free to start your own. Roleplays there are still expected to adhere to the mythos of SARP, but you have a good bit more freedom there, so it's a good place to cut your teeth if you wish. I know that Wes, the site's founder, is hoping to encourage a little more variety in the universe's scope and character base, since currently there are no major ongoing conflicts.

Joining an established plot is also a smart idea, as it will more quickly give your character a purpose and plenty of things to respond to. You seem to already know what to look for, so I won't bog you down with unneeded advice in that department. However, I would advise you to look at all of the factions available, and make your own judgements. And get creative! Depending on the GM, Nepleslians can just as easily join a Gargaten, Abwehran, or Yamatai plot. Some of the alien race factions are relatively new and looking to expand the depth of their influence on the SARP universe. I myself play a rather jaded and cynical Nepleslian who was picked up and currently riding along on a Yamataian military gunship, even though she has no military background whatsoever, and I'm having a grand time playing with the stark contrast between her and the Nekovalkyrja crew.

Of course, what you do with your character is your choice, and you'll have a great time no matter where you start your adventure. Feel free to join the IRC chat (link at the top of the forum page) and ask anyone in there for help if you need it. There are always at least one or two people active who are willing to offer guidance to new players.

And welcome to SARP!

Usually there are OOC & Sign Up Threads in a separate forum. Checking those before jumping in is usually a good idea.

RE: 4th Fleet, activity is a bit slow because most of our people are having exams or tough work projects right now. One of our best players is stuck for another month in Utah with his training unit. Nonetheless, we've just started the next mission. If you're interested, PM me with your character concept.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back