• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Implemented Create a Birthplace List

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
This idea is to help people making new characters by giving them a wiki page or some place on the wiki that they can look at and get a list of what places are suitable for the birth location for their characters. This could be implemented by assigning a struct data field to place pages like locations and planets that is for the earliest year someone could have reasonably been born there (e.g. when there was a permanent colony). The birthplace list would compile this info in a central place, sorted by year and could be optionally filtered by faction.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I feel like this would be essentially the same list as the list of Locations.
The list of locations does not supply information about usability as a birthplace in any fashion. In fact, it's like playing the lottery since there are so few places a character who is, say, 30, could have been born.

I think if such list is made, it would need to be sorted on a faction? Is this possible?
Yes, with the caveat that it might not show planets that have changed hands because struct only knows the current faction for places.

Getting closer. Just added a field we can use to track when a location became inhabited/settled/colonized...which also means people could have been born there.

1613412691275.png

How would this work for a planet like Essia? Separa'Shan could have been born there for any age, but other species since first contact was in YE 29.

I suppose since Separa'Shan are playable we should mark it with Pre-YE.

What would a character born from Samurai House on Yamatai be classified as in terms of 'Birthplace'?
Kyoto, Yamatai, right? I just use the most specific page that exists.

Well, no one requested any changes so I'm going to mark this as implemented.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back