• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Implemented Create a Master Products Page

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
This suggestion is to make a new page, similar to the new places page, that would be a master list of all available products in on the wiki. Like the places page, we could make the list have pages, images, prices, and be sortable by manufacturer and category with tag clouds. The list should only display items with prices.

The purpose of this page would be to create a single source for players to find supplies and other things their characters can buy. Currently, this involves having to go corporation by corporation to find product lists and it's a pain and will only get worse as more corporations are added. If we make a central, sortable, and filterable list, it solves the problem and saves us time now and in the future.

After this list is ready, we should phase out certain old lists like the list of firearms and combat gear, the list of miscellaneous products, and the list of vehicles. Updating those pages has been a chore for a long time and this would render them obsolete and eliminate that work.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
FAQ

Q: What about my corporate product page?

A: You can keep it. The same struct data used in the master list can be used to update your corporate product page to make it automated.

Q: What do I need to do for my corp?

A: Make sure all your products have struct data filled out so they will appear on the list of products.

This makes a ton of sense. Can we have a flag for 'active', 'available for purchase', or something like that? There are a lot of products on the wiki. It might be nice to have a way to filter out old versions of things, things that are no longer being manufactured, etc, so that the browsing experience is easier?

I think it might make more sense to convert the items pages to automated struct lists, as there are several each related to a different kind of item. I think that would make it a lot easier to search than one massive master list with no means of filtering what kind of product you want to be looking at.

I think it might make more sense to convert the items pages to automated struct lists, as there are several each related to a different kind of item. I think that would make it a lot easier to search than one massive master list with no means of filtering what kind of product you want to be looking at.
As specified in the opening post, the list would have means of filtering. These would be:
  • Tag clouds for one-click filtering by item type
  • Search boxes at the top of each column (find all products with names containing "filter" or any search term)
    • Can do this for multiple columns (find all products with manufacturer "Ketsurui" with title "Service Pistol")
Much like the places page is one click away from turning itself into a planets page, the products page will, with one click, become a page for any category of product (weapons, tools, ships, etc).

RPG-D RPGfix
Back