• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Implemented Create Wiki Namespaces For GMs to Store Surprises

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
This suggestion is for us to start offering private namespaces for GMs who need them to store surprises they don't want to show to their players in advance. People come back to their plot threads because of fresh content and to see what happens in the RP. But currently there's no private "GM notes" sections for our GMs on the wiki for them to put their plot notes, un-revealed villains, and so forth, which forces them to either put their stuff out there where anyone can see it (thus spoiling it) or use off-site storage like text files and word documents.

To implement this, I'd allow users to request ACL permissions for user: NAME: private: that establish it as a folder only they have access to. Users could request this by PMing me on the forum through the conversation system.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I'm curious if it would be better to have, simply, a GM-only namespace, rather than a specific namespace for everyone that wants one. Most GMs would know to not go poking around in each other's stuff without permission, and it'd be easier handling to manage one private namespace instead of over a dozen.

Seems like extra work for you, Wes, with very little benefit. People come back to RP because it's a fun hobby to do with e-friends, not because of "lol what a twist!" surprises. And the GM forum exists; I've always known GMs to show good self-restraint in not reading threads about plots they're in. But if you want to take on a new thing that demands attention going into the future whenever someone in the rotating stable of GMs wants a private section then you should just implement it. It's your time and energy.

It takes less than 10 seconds to do per user. Also there are some plots are ones where half the players are GMs of something.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back