• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Rejected Submission Daedalus Cannon

Status
Not open for further replies.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I think you might be required to wait until the faction itself is approved to avoid any issues that might come about from needing to edit it.
(Dont quote me on that, I might be wrong~)

@Alex Hart Because E=MC^2. A 9mm projectile flying at typical speeds will cause cavitation and bleeding in a human being. A 9mm bullet of the same grain flying at light speed hits like an atomic bomb.

Personally, I suggest looking at the damage rating v3 page to get an idea of how damage is handled. This weapon currently does, with a round about the size of a .50cal traveling at Mach 200, more damage than a weapon firing a 300mm round going .75c.

A bit less than real life shells of roughly the same caliber, I'm lowballing really hard here, given that I don't have an exact volume for the round and am instead using the volume of a box it can fit inside, but that calculation yields about 1.5 g/cm cubed. Of course, that's a moot point given the fact that the round in question is moving about 327761% faster than this .50cal.

If you want to keep this weapon at the tier it's at now, you should either increase the size of the round this Daedelus cannon fires, increase the velocity, or preferably; do both.

Alternatively, we can estimate how much damage this would do based off of existing weapons, though that's definitely going to mean it's damage is reduced a large amount.

Alright, by that calculation, that should put it at about tier 9, however, I feel like this still doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Doing the math, here... Both of you are wrong.

Assuming the same density and velocity and a complete 100% transfer of energu, a mass of 1 gram will impart 1/1.027*10*6 the force of a 100 kg projectile at .75 c.

As any matter approaches light speed, acceleration becomes more difficult, and imparted force applies mass. At .75c, this is minimal, only about 0.27 percent, plus or minus a few square roots of 2.

Problem comes in when you consider that that energy transfer is inversely proportional to density, which is mass/volume. This principle is the design of any armor penetrating round, which uses high density to destroy the round and deliver its force on the other side of an armor plate.

I'm not even sure what your round is made out of, but that's definitely not tungsten anymore. This density, with a mass of 100kg for that round with those dimensions, is at least 13888 kg per cubic centimeter.

Then perhaps you have a suggestion for a different metal that would be more suited for the purpose without making a faction metal?

There's nothing that has the properites you need to be doing this amount of damage. You may need to just downgrade your damage or make the round bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back