• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Implemented Develop a Template for Wiki Pages for Military Ranks

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Not every faction on SARP has to make individual pages for each rank in their military but when they do, they should be wiki pages with decent content. Currently a lot of the rank pages are simply one paragraph stubs. Even the Star Army's pages are inconsistent. What would help is having a standard format for rank pages.

Here's what I have so far:

===== Rank Name =====
Overview, what military it's from, associated paygrade, etc.

===== History =====
When was the rank created? Any major changes, etc?

===== Rank Requirements =====
How can characters get to this rank?

===== Symbols of Rank =====
Description of pins, patches, hats, flags, etc can go here, with subsections as required

===== List of [Rank] =====
{Struct list automatically shows who holds this rank}

===== OOC Notes =====
Author and art credits, etc.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I like this idea. It would definitely help make ranks feel more significant and important!

Maybe we can add "Responsibilities" as a section to this as well - what should somebody of a given rank be expected to be capable of, regardless of their specialization?

I'm not sure if this should be done for every unique rank, though - some ranks might do well being "bundled together" on the same page, such as Into, Santo, and Itto Hei (I think those are the tree lowest normal ranks). This would reduce artificial page count inflation and also helps make it known that these specific ranks... Aren't very different from each other.

Due to the way struct and many, many character pages are set up to link to the pages, I'm not going to merge ranks for the SAOY. I'm just going to beef them up and improve their quality level. That's not a bad idea for factions considering making rank pages (e.g. instead of making one for each, could just make an enlisted one and an NCO one). It's also entirely possible to just have all ranks on one page like the NDC does and put the info in a central location.

I like your responsibilities section idea!

Merging the ranks will also have a disadvantage affect on the generator that specifically links to the rank page :) So it would also create more work in a way

RPG-D RPGfix
Back