• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Direction of SARP's Elves

Back when I was a teen, in high school, I spent two years living in a dorm. In my second year there, I graduated from a 6-bed room to a 2-bed room. At some point, my dorm-mate was visited by family.

Two people, in their late fifties. He wasn't in the room, so, I told them to wait there and went to fetch him, telling him: "Hey, your grandparents have come to visit". He seemed surprised, and when he followed me back, he went "Dude, these are my parents" with a note of amused exasperation.

I was stunned by the revelation. He was just a year older than I was, but his parents looked like my grandparents.

You see, my mom had me when she was 19. Her parents were in their late thirties. In 1980, that was kind of normal at the time that once you were an adult, you'd probably have children in your early twenties. We were just getting out of the trend of multi-generational homes at the time. At that age, my mom was in her mid-thirties, and my grandparents in their mid-fifties. I can recall a time when there wasn't a single noticeable strand of gray hair on my grandparents head (my grand-dad balded early, though).

The age of my dorm-mate's grandparents was shocking at the time. Nowadays, people have a tendency to wait until they are financially established, so getting children around the thirties is far more common. Our population is also aging, and it's far more common to see a greater frequency of older people wanting to ask/hog for the seats in a bus (though that could also be because I'm on a bus line that leads to a cardiology clinic on its way, so-).

But now, imagine...

You're born an elf. You grow to be in your mid-teens and you don't look much different than a human except that you're built slimmer and while you can have lean muscles, your genetics don't really support the effort of packing more muscle like some of the human bodybuilders seem to manage. But hey, at the pub next to the local trading post, whenever you manage to con a visiting human in a game of darts, you tend to do better where hand-eye coordination is concerned - in general, when you aim for the board, you hit it in the general area you mean to; sometime with some setup, you can hit the bullseye.

When you go back home on the maternal side of your family, you're slightly late for supper, and there's a horde waiting for you around the kitchen and adjoining dinner table. Appart from certain fashion preferences, your mother, grandmother, and great grandmother look practically the same. Your dad, your visiting uncle, grand-dad, and great grand-dad have come back from some afternoon hunting not an hour ago. While your great great-grandmother is gone, your great great grandfather lingers on; he's slowed down too much to go along the outing, but he still contributes with more sendentary chores like fletching.

The cultural clash here is that as we age, we end up feeling mostly the same way we did before, just with more regrets, more mistakes behind us, and bodies that don't quite follow what we want them to do anymore. Even if SARP elves don't actually reach much over a century old, the simple prospect of retained youthfulness through a majority of it changes the family dynamics drastically. A human visitor might not be able to tell at first glance whom your mother is, and might take your grandma and great grandma to be your mother's sister (the latter being obviously the eldest). Where strenuous activities are concerned, your granddad and great granddad are still well able to follow your dad and uncle while out hunting. The window of peak activity (our 20-to-30 years old) within an elf's lifespan would enjoy would easily be 5 times longer. Around 60, you'd see them ceilinging (our 30-40); at 70 they'd obviously grain a few frailties (40-50), and at 80+ they'd be in obvious decline (50+) up to a point where they might reach 100 (looking like a human in his mid-sixties).

That could be a beautiful advantage to hold. It would shape them culturally. Latter generations remaining vivacious would give them more modern relevancy, especially where generational change is involved for us humans. No reason why the great grand-dad couldn't be able to get on a computer and ably search the internet if his son is able to. However, the grand-dad might still think his son is talking nonsense when pining for an hunting rifle, when a bow serves just as well since he remembers how - 40 years ago - there we no guns on the planet and they made do.

Unfortunately...

On Yamatai, most of that doesn't matter. Nekos are born with the skills of an adult, and the approximate worldliness of a teen. Nanomachine nodal construction makes actual hand craftsmanship obsoleted when you can just think and imagine what you want with your digital mind - trial and effort could just be in your head as you simulate with a computer what you want, and voila - skip effort and instant gratification. And lifespan? Yamataians are born looking perfect, have advanced science that make the famed elven potion-making redundant, and to boot, they live eternally because they can just swap bodies, and those bodies barely age and live much longer (hypothetically) than a elf would with even less impairments.

While elves might exceed and stand out from humans, they are unfortunately buried under a culture that holds most of the same advantages and outdoes them in most others. What edge the elves might have culturally and in maturity is going to wane beyond YE 120, where there may be many practically-immortal centennial nekovalkyrja cropping up. It's a rather unfortunate case of natural selection (arguably unnatural) where the elves are outdone by another species - which is a contrast to their situation in other fantasy, where they are often the ones to be super-human.

Unfortunately, for any of the interest in elves, they've truly drawn the short stick where living in Yamatai is concerned. This doesn't mean they're a dead end, as those disadvantages can be challenges that generate stories... but any elf struggling for relevancy in the Empire which is essentially an elitist meritocracy is fighting an uphill battle.

Last edited:
Perhaps their edge will wane beyond ye 120 (which if we keep going the way we are should be in what 2098? Personally, if I'm alive then at the age of 111, I would be thrilled to have played for eighty some odd years in what amounts to a single game.) However, it's an edge they have in the here and now. An edge that they can, and should use to diversify themselves from the Neko and other races. Time they can use to create their own culture and perspective or fade into obscurity. That is the question we have, should elves fall into obscurity or should they have their own culture and perspective that a new player can mold? While I'm not versed in Elf lore, I think it's a setting element we can and should keep and develop if there are players who are interested in it.

I would think, then, if they are aware they have 80 years of relevancy left, their political aims and such will be more desperate, in setting. 80 years is within a lifespan to them, and unless the elves are completely different, it will drive them to try and carve relevancy for their children. I dunno how much of an elitist meritocracy one can be and still support carve outs, which would also create some more tension.

I agree with Fred. I feel like mainstream Yamatai enough appreciates elves a lot more than they used to (back when they got used as a labor source) and is looking to make amends with them.

It seems like the question shouldn't be "where are the elves going?" but "where do we want SARP's elves to go?"

And that question seems like it leads to, 'Do we want elves to be more prominent' and 'What space can they occupy?'

A few general thoughts:
  • Do the mass body upgrade for the race to the standard Minkan body, with Elf features. Let their culture, etc, dictate what makes them different from your usual Yamataian.
  • Do the mass body upgrade, but do it with a custom Elf body as a parallel to the Neko body. Maybe really dial up the Elf stuff? Some options could be..
    • "The potential dexterity of this body type is so extreme that even our standard Neko minds can't keep up - but the Elven mind is just right. The body gives up some of the Neko strength and resilience, but it's fast as hell and can do wonders with a gun or blade."
    • Maybe they're kitted out with a ton of sensors and come with a deep integration with an 'animal' companion. Amazing scouts, still got the Minkan traits, etc. The sensors also help to make them superb craftsmen, etc...
    • Always-on anti-gravity stuff. Their hair floats around, they can do some very localized 'telekinesis' type stuff, etc, etc
    • Focus on solid volumetrics? Get some of that 'magic' feel without going overboard
    • etc etc

I actually thought of an idea similar to that one about a week ago but never voiced it because I wasn't sure how plausible it could be. I think the Neko and Minkan bodies do a lot of things well, so finding ways to improve upon them can be a bit difficult. That said, I could see a transhuman Elf (transelfin?) form that emphasizes traits that make elves unique, such as good perception, dexterity, and a some sort of sci-fi form of "magic".

I don't think elves need special powers or bodies tbh. They don't have to compete with neko or minkin because then they are kind of just another meta and kind of lose anything special they already have in favor of just being another bio-android but different.

I realize that really doesn't fit with peoples idea of a futuristic sci-fi aesthetic but as cool as all those things are i think the elves are best left simple and not overdeveloped into something too new and over the top when the old was fine but just lacked the lore that was taken down by others on their way out.

Many of those things proposed in the past few posts also exist in setting already in the lorath faction and re-entering them in a different faction would step on more than a few power creep rules about new super soldiers, the rules against mind powers, magic, etc.

I don't want to shoot anyone down, And have no ability to do so anyway. But I think the elves don't need new bodies or powers and yamatai is already full of such things so perhaps we should look towards a new angle?

What I was thinking when I raised this was make them more prominent with more info than the small amount they have at the moment.

Have them as a biological species and haven't gone to the Bio-androids of other Yamataian things, would be interesting to keep up that they don't fit the futuristic sci-fi aesthetic, have all the sci-fi aspects of their lives stuff they have been given because they are part of Yamatai. Will also allow a lot of lore building, like how they handled the plague and other things through history, maybe even have some old religion some still practice.

Have their magic be more of maybe an alchemy thing would also be a better step, have it be what they can brew over actual magic, this could be what Yamatai calls magic because when they have tested the potions and balms, it doesn't add up, but it works. This would mean that their 'magic' still exists but it is diluted and wouldn't cause many problems.

Give them more lore and maybe have some like old school Xiulurium stuff for them, label it like ancestral blade or armour, as like the ceremonial gear others can carry. Maybe work out what can be done for them lore wise in the Empire.

I think what is really needed for them at this point:

• Lore work to bring them fully up to date and add some things to their history so they are more fleshed out in the universe.
  • A look into what the Magic they can use, really is with what they can do.
  • More details on the species in general, like life cycles, sub-species (earth and forest elves) and what are all the differences of these sub-species.
  • Politics, industry, culture and what they do with the military while in the Star Army Fourth Fleet.
I think if these can be updated and worked on it would help, then we wouldn't have to change any existing characters and just have what is going on with the species in general, maybe update the planet as well, with added lore.

If their magic was PANTHEON-based, then perhaps Elves lost magic but gained the ability to have their own telepathic communications? That seems like a 'magic' that simply survived that modern Neko were just built around.

Now that the Norians have arrived, there's a new type of Elf in the Yamatai Star Empire. I don't imagine they'll have much trouble with the existing elves and it'll be interesting to explore the differences in RP at some point. While we're making all these articles and art for the Norians it might be good to also lift up the old elves as well with similar fleshing-out of their culture.

Now that the Norians have arrived, there's a new type of Elf in the Yamatai Star Empire. I don't imagine they'll have much trouble with the existing elves and it'll be interesting to explore the differences in RP at some point. While we're making all these articles and art for the Norians it might be good to also lift up the old elves as well with similar fleshing-out of their culture.
I will certainly try to add some love that way. It will be interesting to see the relationship that was built between the small population of Norians that were hidden among the elves and the elves as well. Might have to make that an Exhibit in the new Cultural Center.

As the Xiulurian Senator I had planned on doing this, but have found the nitty gritty cultural wiki work to be done is not taking my time's precedence so I feel pretty bad. I made this thread to pool ideas but it mostly turned into a thread about their bodies or powers, it looks like. That wasn't my intent, I don't want to change what they can do inherently- I want to detail what their society looks like after the shift from having magic and freedom (they were incredibly inhibited, some of their own experimented on in order to do so, and put to heel for having a slave trade, from the RP and wiki I've seen). But I'm rambling. I still want to develop them, but my plan is plain old RP as I've done with them before and documenting it with some of the most necessary articles people can think of. Xiuluria, the article, is top of my list. If anyone has other ideas for wiki necessities, please tell me and I'll cherry pick the stuff that doesn't want to dissect them for their powers like Pnugen.

I think because there are so few Elves and being one was a death sentence (re: Hinosami's last conversation with Sekiko), their culture's insularity would have meant they knew Norians as being separate species of Elf than them -or at least a separate group than them- but needing shelter, thus one in the same. They would have probably been given foster-like homes or family bundles without a second thought into welcoming them. But I don't want the wool to be over the Xiulurian's eyes: they know when they see an outsider.

As the Xiulurian Senator I had planned on doing this, but have found the nitty gritty cultural wiki work to be done is not taking my time's precedence so I feel pretty bad. I made this thread to pool ideas but it mostly turned into a thread about their bodies or powers, it looks like. That wasn't my intent, I don't want to change what they can do inherently- I want to detail what their society looks like after the shift from having magic and freedom (they were incredibly inhibited, some of their own experimented on in order to do so, and put to heel for having a slave trade, from the RP and wiki I've seen). But I'm rambling. I still want to develop them, but I think plain old RP as I've done with them before and documenting it with some of the most necessary articles people can think of. Xiuluria, the article, is top of my list. If anyone has other ideas for wiki necessities, please tell me and I'll cherry pick the stuff that doesn't want to dissect them for their powers like Pnugen.

I think because there are so few Elves and being one was a death sentence (re: Hinosami's last conversation with Sekiko), their culture's insularity would have meant they knew Norians as being separate species of Elf than them -or at least a separate group than them- but needing shelter, thus one in the same. They would have probably been given foster-like homes or family bundles without a second thought into welcoming them. But I don't want the wool to be over the Xiulurian's eyes: they know when they see an outsider.
I'd like to believe the Elves were briefed back in YE 21 when that small population arrived. I don't quite like the idea of the wool-over-the-eyes method either - I think the natural Norian way of philosophical thinking would have led to an awareness of their presence anyway. Aiura Caeyara on Star Army Space Roleplay is a good example of a Norian that lived among the elves of Xiuluria all those years before this actual arrival.

In terms of the Xiulurian sector of Yamatai, if you need any help with art generated or whatnot I got a subscription to Mid journey bot and would be more than happy if you provide me with some prompts to try and generate some stuff for you.

I have a love for elven species, their inclusion in Yamatai is interesting and wonderful. You've done a great job at what you've done so far. Somethings wiki-wise I think that would benefit them:

• An actual species page, that follows the species template. Followed by an Elven Character Creation Guide.
  • A faction profile, describing it as a sub-faction of Yamatai, using that template.
  • Some cultural articles - You're welcome to use any of the Tsenlan articles for comparisons, interlinking, etc.
  • I'm going to include the exhibit I mentioned above at the Tsenlanese cultural center in Kyoto.
Let me know if I can do anything to help.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back