• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Closed Discard the Damage Rating System

These suggestions have been dropped by the suggestor or rejected by staff.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
This suggestion is to entirely discard the current damage rating system. Why?
  • It constantly causes arguments in the Setting Submissions forum
    • Inconsistent enforcement has created an enviroment that frequently allowed exceptions
    • Seeing these, submitters all want an exception too
    • People get pissy and falsely accuse me of "personal bias" when I enforce the rules as written
    • People sneak in workarounds like giving DR to ammunition
  • It is not granular enough (in theory all handguns are the same damage rating for example, as are all rifles)
  • It confuses new members for example @hyralt tonight got frustrated trying to simply pick a weapon
  • It creates work for wiki staff
  • It's awkwardly jamming number values into a text-based RP system
  • Put simply they don't make the site more fun, they make it less fun and stress people out
I'm just sick of it. Is any GM actually using this in their RPs? I almost never do.

I propose entirely trashing the DR system and just start using good old textual descriptions of damage effects. It will facilitate better RP to have text descriptions, allow more more unique damage types, and significantly cut down drama in the Setting Submissions forum, which is the primary source of drama on the site.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I, again, strongly disagree with an entire removal. I think that a much simpler Damage Rating system which isn't designed to be as restrictive would be beneficial for approximating things, without the nuance and rules-lawyering of the current system.

Really I don't think that DR itself is the problem, so much as the enforcement of rules and interpretations of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back