• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Discussing Link Gate tech/purposes, Wormhole aspects

Toshiro

Okay, I have a prototype article here for a fundamental unit of technology, which is a small gate-type wormhole generator. https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=wip:type_39_link_ring

It's not usually meant as an FTL transport method, but instead has several intended purposes. Here I list assorted purposes. Most are non-combat in nature, though Yaichiro is considering a few hypothetical possibilities.

Siphoning plasma from the cores of stars (energy, propulsion, weapon discharge, scientific research)
Siphoning material from quasars (weapon discharge, scientific research)
Siphoning plasma from assorted layers within a red giant (star mining for materials)
Siphoning magma from planets (mining, scientific analysis)
Accessing mineral deposits deep underground on planets, deposits too deep to conventionally mine
Accessing sea floors
Rapid deployment of escape pods and SS Pod from vessels out away from a combat zone and the relevant Hill Sphere (allow escape pod FTL, increase survival rates)
Rapid deployment or evacuation of Power Armor or small civilian forces on a planet or within a star system (prerequisites include accurate sensor data, dangers include enemies rushing into the ship)
Accessing the core of a black hole (scientific analysis, plot, ???, profit)
Attacking the mantle of a planet to trigger earthquakes and vulcanism (plot, low-risk attacks on enemies)
Attacking the core of a star or a planet (plot, possible super-weapon)

Now, I have the Link Ring including a stabilizer that allows it to work in a Hill Sphere provided the Link Ring (and wormhole) are under 5 meters in diameter, in an attempt to prevent it from becoming able to just send ships and stuff that's too big through without consequence...aside from the last two concepts which are reserved for plot purposes but can be dumped. I'm wondering if that stabilizer is possible in the setting though.

I also have it so that the Link Ring's stabilizer can fight subspace anti-wormhole weapons since the gate wormhole is literally inside the Link Ring and its stabilizer...though the stabilizer doesn't protect the opposing unshielded end of the wormhole from such weapons. As such, only wormholes completely within the craft and those with an end in the cores of massive bodies like stars or quasars (whose radius well exceeds the range of any such weapons) are fully safe.

May I please have input on this and the direction its headed, as well as general input on the article? I want this to be well defined with little room for doubt, as it is intended to be the basis of a new suite of technology.

To clarify something discussed in chat. If the advanced use of this for weaponry or deployments within in a Hill Sphere is ill-advised, this can be nerfed. The Link Rings would still work in this case, but could only connect externally to the core of the star system's star (where the gravity of the star system was nullified), and perhaps to areas outside the hill sphere (to draw from other stars or to deploy escape and SS pods far away from any ongoing combat). This would inhibit all planetary function and operation.

The following might still be possible by merit of shielding JUST the ship-side of the wormhole against Hill Sphere effects:

Siphoning plasma from the cores of stars (energy, propulsion, weapon discharge, scientific research)
Siphoning material from quasars (weapon discharge, scientific research)
Rapid deployment of escape pods and SS Pod from vessels out away from a combat zone and the relevant Hill Sphere (allow escape pod FTL, increase survival rates)
Accessing the core of a black hole (scientific analysis, plot, ???, profit)

I already have one vote preferring this arrangement.

Last edited:
We've gone back and forth on allowing / not allowing wormholes and I don't know what their status is officially right now.

Basically they are super-useful if allowed.

Well, wormholes are mentioned in CDD operation...so I guess they technically exist and are impacted by the Hill Sphere, but those aren't gate-type wormholes because of their nature and I don't know if the greater stability caused by a physical ring impacts that or not.

Well, I don't profess to know anything about physics but I am a big fan of wormholes and wormhole travel. I would say that stable wormholes can only be maintained outside the Hill Sphere. Travel between them should be possible but only if there's an exit gate, and wormholes big enough for fleets should be very rare and expensive to build. That would mean that only the high traffic areas would have gates big enough to jump whole fleets. There would still be plenty of RP opportunities outside those areas.

I'll have to word it well then, and state that the Link Rings within the ship, and 5 meters or under, can be stabilized within the Hill Sphere only if the other end...is similarly shielded with a similar physical ring in the same vessel, in the center of the hill sphere where forces cancel each other out, or outside the hill sphere.

If I don't state that they have to be in the same ship, we'll have shuttles trying to deploy gates to their host vessels and such.

We've gone back and forth on allowing / not allowing wormholes and I don't know what their status is officially right now.

Basically they are super-useful if allowed.

Apologies for the brevity of this post - my situation IRL is...less then optimal at the moment, which is why I haven't been online or on Discord much - but I'm pretty sure that what you described here @Zack violates the rules regarding wormholes (and, for that matter, canon) six or seven times over, given the sheer number of canon inconsistencies and retcons said post contains.

I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with the purpose of this thread.

In my humble opinion, responses like the above have nothing to do with the purpose of this thread. My previous post, on the other hand, does, as what @Zack mentioned was a (non-existent, of course, but for the sake of this thread I'll assume it hypothetically exists) wormhole on the bottom of Nepleslia's ocean - which is one of the the things @Toshiro mentioned in this thread's very first post.

Yeah, we have wormholes (and normal FTL) happening inside of hill spheres all the time. The no wormhole rule seemed to apply only to Nepleslia's gate network and was then promptly forgotten.

Huh, apparently Wormholes are in use more than I thought. I just never see them used much in RP so I assumed they weren't used much.

Fun fact: Kudhacari FTL will essentially use the "wild wormhole" definition because literally burrowing through spacetime is cool af.

[...]
https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=stararmy:integrated_cfs_array&s[]=wormholes

https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=faction:freespacers:rift_generator&s[]=wormholes <<<< I think @Zack was using the idea based on this article.

But worm holes are pretty well documented and wikified on sarp.

As far as I'm aware, neither the Microrift Generator nor the Integrated CFS Array is capable of being fit into something the size of a bullet, Ira - and where's the RP detailing the construction of an underwater Ley Line on Nepleslia?

Yeah, we have wormholes (and normal FTL) happening inside of hill spheres all the time.

Then those posts and/or threads are unfortunately no longer canon, given that they violate the FTL Guide.

Okay. So I am not prepared to teach physics. But yes, you can hypothetically have black holes and wormholes, that can fit inside of a bullet.

This concept was hypothesized by Stephen Hawking.

But in any event, I recognize that stating that wont really do much. That being said, what do you want @Zack to do wit the cited post?

Okay. So I am not prepared to teach physics. But yes, you can hypothetically have black holes and wormholes, that can fit inside of a bullet.

This concept was hypothesized by Stephen Hawking.

No one's asking you to teach physics, Ira - and imho having a wormhole in a bullet is completely different from having a wormhole generator in a bullet. Also, would you mind providing the source(s) where Stephen Hawking hypothesized this? I'm rather curious now.

@Toshiro I'll give the article a proper look-over once I'm at the library tomorrow.

Then those posts and/or threads are unfortunately no longer canon, given that they violate the FTL Guide.
This community needs to recognize something. And I'm speaking here as staff.

The notion about posts going from canon to noncanon at the flip of a word or the sound of a complaint?

Absolutely not true. At all.

If you see someone -- who isn't Wes, your faction FM or your immediate GM -- tell you a post isn't canon because it violates X or Y or Alpha or whatever?

You can tell them to either work out with you, your G/FM or Wes.

If they don't like that?

They can pound sand.

We're a pretty democratic place. But we're also bureaucratic to a healthy degree. Those banners that are next to names are not just for show.

Posts are canon until someone with proper authority says they aren't and works out what to do about them.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back