• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

RP Doctor's Best Friend

Jack Pine

RP Date
YE 40, 1 day after S6 departure
RP Location
S6S-Anvil: Hangar A----->Crew Habitation: Cabin 11
–Four Years Ago –

Hir classes finished for the day F. Amiri Vanth enjoyed the late summer day outside in naught but hir furcoat. Luunaforce University had been founded during the height of the Furry-Rights Movement by Doctor Sarafina NiNalad'ttir and m'Jora X. Luunaforce U. had traditionally been a predominantly ‘Furry’ school, and so had encouraged their alumni to be themselves. Thus, to this day, they encourage a strict naturist policy.

Amiri – as s/he preferred to go by these days – had followed hir nose toward the courtyard in front of the student union building and discovered a food truck, but as s/he drew closer s/he discovered the campus seemed to be hosting a community event where several businesses and services had been encouraged to set up booths in order to showcase to the newly arriving students what the local municipality and community at large had to offer.

Amiri’s attention had been drawn in by a local cinema. They had several promotional items on offer for upcoming features. Along hir way s/he completely ignored the booths of various militaristic types attempting to gain the foolhardy, naive, and trigger-happy. Surely not something for an intellectual such as hirself.

Jack sat at a booth for the Nepleslia Star Marine Corps (NSMC,) more than agitated to be put on recruitment detail. Wearing full Battlefield Digital Units (BDUs), he was bored with how little the booth was receiving in the way of attention. The white-haired man had been calling for attention, but he was just about done with it.

As Vanth passed by, Jack figured he should at least make one last effort before totally giving up. “Hi, join the marines today, fight for freedom and democracy! Put honor in your blood, and courage in your bones! Enlist with the NSMC today!”, He shouted, directing the blurb of an ad to Vanth a bit more directly, “You good sir, won’t you enlist today?”

Amiri’s ears pinned, as s/he walked by, s/he suddenly became <i>Very</i> interested in a cyber-brochure s/he had picked up about a search and rescue animal training camp. S/he tried very hard to pretend s/he wasn’t ignoring the older male, s/he just hadn’t heard him. All the while s/he was muttering to hirself, letting drop unprovocative words like ‘Posturing,’ ‘Provocateury,’ ‘Self-perpetuating.’ All the while s/he stared at the cyber-paper trying not to make eye-contact.

“Sign up for a cause to help the people. Be the hero of their defense. Freedom does not come without sacrifice, wouldn’t you agree? Or does animal rescue somehow help our people more?” Jack said giving a more cliché blurb he would admit but made it more pointed in the end.

Amiri stopped dead in hir tracks, s/he very pointedly turned back and stopped right in front of the non-anthro stranger. S/he showed no hate, nor contempt, only neutral respect for a fellow life form. “This is a brochure about a training camp for SAR dogs and their handlers. They help animals and people. I’m a veterinary nurse (Today’s equivalent of Vet Tech) in veterinary-medical school, so I can become a full veterinarian and help others, most of whom can’t help themselves.”

S/he locked eyes with him, not in an aggressive gesture per say; just to make a point. ”I respect your choice, I respect you for doing it, and I respect your right to make that choice, but can you say for one-hundred-percent certainty that you can look back on your…” s/he hesitated to try to pick the right word “…career, look me in the eye and tell me you’re proud of everything you’ve done.”

Jack looked like he wanted to say much on that subject, a tired look brought about him, but he settled on a simple “No.”

“Deal with it.” As Vanth left s/he added, “I made my choice, respect it.”

– Today –

The shuttle had touched down in the hangar with a thump as its landing skids met the deck. The craft disgorged its occupants, a good number of new faces coming aboard. Most were humanoids except for one or two.

Taking hir time to re-pack and gather hir things Amiri was one of the last ones off the transport. S/he was focused and trying to keep an eye on something… more accurately, someone. Near the end of the flight Amiri’d occasionally caught a glimpse of a tall pair of white ears that could only be from another Anthro, and at one-point s/he thought s/he caught their scent, a female canine.

Donning the only covering s/he’d worn today – except for hir furcoat – Amiri slung both straps of hir backpack over hir shoulders and made hir way through the crowd. Traveling alone had its advantages. It meant one didn’t have to wait for another to keep up and it also meant one could weave in and out and between anyone between hir and hir objective. S/he had to get a better glimpse of the rest the being below that cute set of furry ears.

Vanth would get that sight as Neera stepped away from the procession that was the line of new recruits. She walked off to the side a bit, her long snow-white hair swishing behind her as she walked. The black and red of her dress uniform, was a drastic contrast to her fur of the same snow-white color. As she turned back to watch a man in similar attire lead two recruits off, before marking on her pad.

Vanth would have seen her beautiful young face, a bit closer to humanoid in features then Vanth. Neera’s face was framed by a long bang of hair to either side, highlighted red, a red that matched her crimson eyes. Her uniform was a dress coat, thigh length skirt, and thigh highs. All in S6’s trademark black with red stripe.

The sight of the beautiful Anthro-canid clad all in white just like hirself encouraged hir. Other than hir family Amiri hadn’t seen another like hir in a long time. S/he couldn’t just go up and talk to her, could s/he? What would s/he say? Why was s/he so nervous? S/he’d talked to and met lots of other mature females in all hir medical schooling and veterinary schooling before that. Not to mention hir Veterinary Nursing career, and schooling before that. Why was this any different?

Then a nudge from behind snapped the Anthro out of it. It was Kyle, the guy who had been assigned to the seat next to hirs on the shuttle transport. “Close your maw,” he whispered, “what are you waiting for, just go over and talk to her.”

Vanth trembled, “n-no, I mean, what? No, I couldn’t she’s soo beautiful. S/he’d never…”

“That’s it. C’mon, I’ll introduce you.”

Vanth started moving off in another direction, “not-uh!”

“C’mon ya big puppy…” with that Kyle took Vanth by the tail and started to walk toward the other Anthro. Vanth gave a single slight yelp and started to try and escape. Fortunately for hir – or unfortunately as the case may be – the floor was metal and of a high polish; so just like your dog trying to run across your new linoleum kitchen floor the Anthro-canid was getting little-to-no traction. In addition, Farkas Amiri was comically doggy-paddling the air. It just took Kyle a little more effort than usual. “You’ll thank me later,” he grunted.

Neera heard the skitter of pads, and claws, she turned around. “Can I help you? Your friend seems a bit… …nervous there,” she commented with a slight giggle as she watched their comical approach.

Vanth finally gave up and allowed hirelf to be dragged the last few meters. S/he crossed hir arms and started muttering under hir breath, repeating “you can let go now,” over and over at nearly inaudible levels.

Kyle smiled, “s/he just needs some encouragement like we all do once in a while.” Kyle stopped in front of the female Anthro at which time only then did he let go. “S/he wanted my help with introductions.”

Free at last Vanth suddenly relaxed at the sound of the female’s giggling; and brightened up. S/he turned and gazed at the other Anthro. S/he smiled in a manner befitting a canine, “Hi, I’m Doctor Vanth.”

“Lieutenant Neera Pine, nice to meet you. I recognize you from the shuttle. Was there something I can help you with?”, She said politely and with a warm smile. She was much nicer than what someone might expect from someone in armed service.

“Dude ask her out…”

“So… uh… I was wondering…”

“Ask her…”

“Excuse me.” Amiri turned to Kyle and bark-snarled before turning back. “I’m sorry about that, so, yeah… I’m new here, and I wonder if you’d help show me around?”

“Quite the wingman you have for yourself. Yes, I can show you around. How about we get you settled in a room first? Then I can show you the other areas.”, Neera offered as she watched the exchange. It was quite a turn to see another like her join the organization.

His job done, for now, it was then Kyle returned to his own business.

Amiri’s tail started wagging lightly. “Yes, I’d like that.”

“Right this way then,” She said before heading to the hanger entrance which lead into the rest of the ship. The halls were bustling with people, both military and civilian. “Welcome to Section Six by the way. I don’t think I caught your full name?” Neera asked before stepping into a lift.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back