• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Senate: VOTING Election of YE 45

Koyama looked on impassively as Akina spoke. She stared unblinkingly in much the same manner she did while listening to the various crewmembers she dealt with on a day-to-day basis. It was not so much an intimidation tactic as it was to just absorb every detail. As the Senator spoke her piece, attention riveted to the woman until finally shifting from her to the impassioned speech of Xiuluria’s representative. The latter clearly spoke from the heart. The former appeared more a political creature with much experience as a leader within the Star Army as well. Experienced, composed, and capable of dancing about the subject, paying compliments, and apologies, and slipping the stiletto between the ribs with a remorseful apology touching her lips. She had to say, Koyama respected the woman.

She tapped the table in front of her lightly with a nailless finger.

“I believe, my fellow representatives and senators, we should continue forward?” There was a slight lifting of her chin as if deigning she would rather move forward than agree to Akina’s request, regardless of her words. The vote had been just a little over five percent difference. A close-run thing. She’d made the offer, and the woman had the audacity to accept it. Sachiko’s passionate speech had spoken volumes her sparse explanation had only just left the slightest scratch on the surface. And thus she would maintain her vote. Did a long life count for so little when it was fraught with so much experience? But, this was going off the rails and needed to be swiftly corrected lest it continues and devolves further.

“I will maintain my vote. But,” lifting a finger she stared at Akina, “I will apologize to you for my decision. And to those of Jiyuu. As the Senator of Yamatai has stated, as a Senator, I am within my legal bounds.”

A hand placed upon her chest, just where her heart rested within her chest she spoke still looking to Senator Shimizu, “To the populace of the Jiyuu system, while my decision stands. Please be aware I do this not out of spite. But out of concern. Out of care. My esteemed colleague,” gesturing to Sachiko, only pausing enough to allow her a moment’s respite to collect herself. “Has given a far more worthwhile answer to Senator Shimizu’s question, where I have failed. They are people I adore. But I will do what I believe is right for them. The vote was incredibly narrow. It rode the razor's edge.”

“Xiuluria’s Representative, however, has only reaffirmed my position.”

“With this said. My fellows, are we in the final stages of the election? Dare we continue forward and see this done? Are there others who wish to add their vote to the tally?”

With a low hum, Sachiko's eyes swept the room with an opalescent swiftness. She didn't want to see quibbles over Senator's constitutional voting rights lead to a filibuster. Neither did she want to see any of them feel unjustly ignored. But with such a sparse senate that was a difficult thing to do.

"Motion to close," the Xiulurian Senator said resolutely.

After all the angst over the election she could already feel the relief of it being over. While Hanako had never expected to run in the election at first, it was the needs of her people and party that had pushed her to put in her name. Now, she hoped to serve the people of Yamatai with the same sense of duty she had given the senate and the Star Army. Five years was a long time but she intended to make it work for her and not get burned out like Katsuko and Yuumi had. She knew she would have to do a lot of delegating to the experts instead of putting her finger into everyone's pies, and that was okay. She also hoped to maintain her career in the Star Army. Her uniform was her comfort, and she couldn't think of a life without it.

"The motion to close is seconded by Yamatai," Hanako said.

- - -

The screens in the senate chamber displayed the current votes:

Hanako: 7
  • Akina
  • Yamatai
  • Nataria
  • Republic of Xiuluria
  • Tami
  • Tatiana
  • Jiyuu
Anslen: 4
  • Essia
  • Fujiko
  • Virginia
  • Shurista
Miu: 1
  • Koukotsu

"Shurista makes to third the motion," Shretas nodded, carefully leaning against a back wall. "I do not believe that the lady from Jiyuu's decision, with how thin the voting divide, has any bearing on the will of the people. If anything, her vote will only affirm it and show how she feels herself a member and representative of her own populace acting on what she feels is their best interest.. Morover. I do not believe that the lady of Xiuluria has any room to argue when the Jiyuu vote agrees with her."

Airwin had delivered his vote, his entire purpose there beyond that came down to observation. The decision to remain Independent in terms of the party was maintained in his thoughts even if there were some very clear differences in the views and the maturity of those views. He continued to take notes, his experience so far in Yamataian politics had written more of a novel than a set of notes. He remained postured and ignored the opportunity to chime in on these strange rebuttles.

The redhead from Nataria arched her eyebrows just slightly in surprise before lowering them once more. She wasn't expecting to be attacked by her allies for supporting them. "These seems to have quickly become somewhat farcical at this point, it's clear some of you might doubt my sincerity but I do appeal to those tuned in to make their own judgements."

Akina turned towards Koyama first, looking if anything disappointed. "I voted in good faith for a strong candidate, which was different from my personal vote. I am fine with that, because I can distinguish between myself and my office." She paused a breath and went on, "The people of Jiyuu don't agree with your assessment. On that note: it is also quite alarming to me that you offered to redress something supposedly in good faith, when in reality you lack the honor of your surname to back it up with action. It saddens me to see this, but a Clan is not a monolith."

"It seems you are above changing your vote after all. I hope you learn the value of integrity in these situations going forward."
Her eyes focused on Koyama with more sadness in them than anything, "I won't dignify the slanderous outburst contained in the rest of your statement with more of a response than this: I respectfully and strongly disagree."

The Taisho turned smartly so she could face Sachiko, and bow towards her before speaking. "While it is very heartening to see such an impassioned and emotional commendation on behalf of your kin, I feel that it is not made in good faith towards other Citizens of the Empire as much as meant to shame me for voicing what will undoubtedly be the questions following these proceedings from them. Ketsurui-Shinjuku naishinnō-sama does not have a monopoly on sacrifice for the Empire, nor does the Ketsurui Clan, which as I have said, are rulers, allies, and family. Many times."

There was a pause for a moment as she folded her hands in front of herself. "Others being less famous does not make them less qualified or somehow less of a person. It is not a competition to suffer for the Empire, good Senator. Nor do the Empress, (long may she reign), or her Clan live in a bubble unto themselves."

"The Three Clans exist in harmony no matter how flustered that may make you, I am feel strange having to say I am not here to make Ketsurui-Shinjuku naishinnō-sama feel impugned, we are ever-loyal, but not ever-voiceless. If you feel so offended as to flout reality and lash out to do so, then so be it, but it will not change it."

She bowed to her again and turned slightly to face more of the Senate. "Speaking up was the right thing to do, and despite the strange behavior directed towards me, I do not regret it. I would rather have my allies be allies, though." A sad smile donned her face for a pregnant pause. With a momentary glance to Shretas she simply replied, "The assessment of our Empire needs be rethought, if that is your appraisal."

"As such, I object to the motion to close, and if I must, ask for clarification on the Senate Voting Fairness Act of YE 34. Our voting, the ones deciding the fate of the seat after all, have not been opened the requisite period. Polls Empire-wide have, but as I was informed, those votes do not factor into this, legally."

"The objection is sustained," Hanako said, "In accordance with the invocation of the Senate Voting Fairness Act of YE 34, the voting will remain open until 3 days have passed. As acting premier, I request that senator refrain from personal remarks and limit responses to votes."

OOC: Okay, so I guess we're doing it the long way, so voting concludes 1/31/22 at 10:33 PM

Anslen cocked an eyebrow, she was doing something. He wondered what it was, and how it could effect the vote. "May I suggest that we adjourn for the day and reconvene in the morning to discuss any changed votes?" He asked.

Kára was about to go mingle among her fellow MCS senators after the call to adjourn was made. However, before she left her place, the formerly quiet freshman Senator leaned forward over her desk and said, "Koukotsu stands by its vote for Shimizu Miu." She did not use the hyphenated part of the candidate's name, despite being senator for one of the core Motoyoshi systems. "I am sure our neighbor's Senator has her reasons, and we will discuss it in our usual post-adjournment regional caucus meeting," Kára glanced over at Koyama. "I am the only independent Senator in the caucus after all, perhaps there is something I am missing by not being officially part of their party and I am not a member of one of the Three Clans."

Kára rose and went over in the direction the rest of her regional bloc were headed, check to see if Koyama was coming along. She leaned in and patted Akina on the shoulder before shuffling out among the rest of them.

Last edited:
Koyama remained quiet through the rest of the proceedings, looking down at what could only presumably be a screen of some sort. Her gaze flitted up occasionally, yet when she looked down again it was with an intense focus only to return to staring up. Even at the declaration of continued support by Koukotsu’s senator, her look had changed not at all. But whatever she’d been looking at found itself scooped up and underneath an arm (a datapad) pausing a moment to move a few stray strands of hair back into place.

Looking at those of her bloc, her continued expression was that of impassivity. The continuance of bringing up the Clans into the matter hadn’t seemed to rankle her. Nor the remark made of her choice or the comment before it. She’d run the numbers in terms of how many voters had opted for each person and had still drawn the same conclusion. It’d been an exceedingly narrow margin.

The reaffirming pat on the Senator’s shoulder hadn’t gone unnoticed, yet it had no noticeable effect on her. After a short breath, she followed them out.

The window for voting passed without further comment or delay. The final results were:

Hanako: 7
  • Akina
  • Yamatai
  • Nataria
  • Republic of Xiuluria
  • Tami
  • Tatiana
  • Jiyuu
Anslen: 4
  • Essia
  • Fujiko
  • Virginia
  • Shurista
Miu: 1
  • Koukotsu
Hanako quietly thought about how much work this was going to be and how she was willing to go any lengths for the Empire. She thought about diplomacy, building bridges, and honoring the public trust. The election was finally over but a massive labor was just beginning.

"Thank you, everyone," Hanako said.

"Your experience and dedication will be invaluable in the coming days, ma'am. You'll have all the support I can get from my people." Shretas offered a small smile. "Senator Volontany, care to go for a drink? I feel we can both use it, after the last few weeks."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back