• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Senate: VOTING Election of YE 45

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
RP Date
YE 45.1
RP Location
Kyoto, Yamatai
"Good evening," Hanako addressed the Senate of Yamatai, "The polls have closed and votes are in. Now that the senators can see the will of their constituents, it is our constitutional duty to vote for the next premier. Let's review the results and then vote."

Akina System:
  • 90% Ketsurui-Shinjuku Hanako (Bellflower Party) ✅
  • 10% Rike Vrak (Anti-Xenoist Party)
Ayano System:
  • 100% Shimizu-Motoyoshi Miu (Bellflower Party) ✅
Elysia Novus:
  • 100% Rike Vrak (Anti-Xenoist Party) ✅
Essia System:
  • 100% Anslen Volontany (Discourse Party) ✅
Fujiko System:
  • 41.18% Anslen Volontany (Discourse Party)
  • 23.53% Ketsurui-Shinjuku Hanako (Bellflower Party)
  • 5.88% Rike Vrak (Anti-Xenoist Party)
  • 29.41% Shimizu-Motoyoshi Miu (Bellflower Party)
Gashmere System:
  • 33.33% Anslen Volontany (Discourse Party)
  • 33.33% Ketsurui-Shinjuku Hanako (Bellflower Party)
  • 33.33% Rike Vrak (Anti-Xenoist Party)
Himiko System:
  • 50% Anslen Volontany (Discourse Party)
  • 50% Shimizu-Motoyoshi Miu (Bellflower Party)
Jiyuu System:
  • 47.37% Ketsurui-Shinjuku Hanako (Bellflower Party)
  • 5.26% Rike Vrak (Anti-Xenoist Party)
  • 52.63% Shimizu-Motoyoshi Miu (Bellflower Party) ✅
Kotori System:
  • 100% Shimizu-Motoyoshi Miu (Bellflower Party) ✅
Koukotsu System
  • 33.33% Ketsurui-Shinjuku Hanako (Bellflower Party)
  • 66.66% Shimizu-Motoyoshi Miu (Bellflower Party) ✅
Nataria System:
  • 36.36% Anslen Volontany (Discourse Party)
  • 45.45% Ketsurui-Shinjuku Hanako (Bellflower Party)
  • 18.18% Shimizu-Motoyoshi Miu (Bellflower Party)
Shugosha System:
  • No votes cast
Tami System:
  • 66.66% Ketsurui-Shinjuku Hanako (Bellflower Party) ✅
  • 33.33% Shimizu-Motoyoshi Miu (Bellflower Party)
Tatiana System:
  • 33.33% Anslen Volontany (Discourse Party)
  • 11.11% Ketsurui-Shinjuku Hanako (Bellflower Party)
  • 55.55% Shimizu-Motoyoshi Miu (Bellflower Party) ✅
Vicky System:
  • 100% Shimizu-Motoyoshi Miu (Bellflower Party)✅
Virginia System:
  • 50% Anslen Volontany (Discourse Party)
  • 50% Shimizu-Motoyoshi Miu (Bellflower Party)
Yamatai System:
  • 12.5% Anslen Volontany (Discourse Party)
  • 70.8% Ketsurui-Shinjuku Hanako (Bellflower Party) ✅
  • 25% Shimizu-Motoyoshi Miu (Bellflower Party)
Republic of Xiuluria:
  • 100% Ketsurui-Shinjuku Hanako (Bellflower Party) ✅
Shurista Flotilla:
  • No votes cast
- - -

Districts with a Majority:
  • 1 for Anslen Volontany (Discourse Party)
  • 4 for Ketsurui-Shinjuku Hanako (Bellflower Party)
  • 1 for Rike Vrak (Anti-Xenoist Party)
  • 6 for Shimizu-Motoyoshi Miu (Bellflower Party)
Districts without a Majority:
  • 5: Fujiko, Gashmere, Himiko, Nataria, Virginia
- - -

Senators may now submit their official votes.

Airwin appeared to do his duty, " The Akina Sytem votes for Ketsurui-Shinjuku Hanako, a surprising yet understandable outcome. We know your face Hanako, and what you're made of. I look forwards to the results of this election, it has been a fascinating study."

"I thank the voters of the Yamatai Star System for their support and name myself on their behalf," Hanako said. "Yamatai votes for Ketsurui-Shinjuku Hanako."

"The Koukotsu Senator recognizes the will of the people, and votes for Shimizu Miu," Kára Kurogane said, taking her turn.

"The Suzerainty of Xiuluria is proud to vote for one of our own, Ketsurui-Shinjuku Hanako." Sachiko said. "No matter where you go or who you become, we will always support you."

Then in a language oft unheard, she added, "Our little Sammy Rainchill. Grace be with you."

"Glad tidings, everyone." Akina stood up from her seat and raised her hands to the others, and then to the rest of the chamber.

"It is my pleasure to cast the obvious vote in with the Bellflower member that has the most votes, as their party votes constitute the vast majority of ballots cast and there is a clear winner between them."

"Pursuant to that,
the System of Nataria votes for Ketsurui-Shinjuku Hanako naishinnō-sama. This has been quite the occasion, and my thanks to everyone from Nataria and the Empire for their excitement for their civic duty." With her ballot cast, the Senator bowed and sat back down, folding her hands in her lap to watch the rest of the proceedings with interest.

"As Fujiko does not have a run-off system, the majority of Fujiko's votes were for Anslen Volontany. Fujiko vote goes to Anslen Volontany." Tamafune said in her order of the roll call.

"Shurista votes Anslen Volontany. We apologize, many of our citizens had issues with the idea of votes. Our culture dictates that all volunteers hold equal measure, so there were about four votes. Total. We held the polls open as long as we could."

fetch.php

Hanako looked at the running total, which was a bit surprising:

Hanako: 4
  • Akina
  • Yamatai
  • Nataria
  • Republic of Xiuluria
Anslen: 2
  • Essia
  • Fujiko
Miu: 1
  • Koukotsu
"It's clear we need to do a better job of recruiting senators," Hanako mused, thinking about all the empty seats or senators who didn't bother to show up. The people she saw in here voting were the same reliable people she had worked with for years. "Are there any other votes?"

Iemochi looked over at Anslen, his people were split between Miu and Anslen with no clear leader. "Virginia has more than one mind about this issue and no clear leader, therefore as it's senator I must make a choice between them. I vote for Anslen Volontany."

OOC: Eth willed me Iemochi's political life.

Tami System

“The citizens of Tami have delivered their votes for Ketsurui-Shinjuku Hanako in a two-thirds majority,” Senator Maeda said after standing when it came to his turn to speak. He then returned to his seat to wait and listen for further votes.

Tatiana System

Governor Saiga Tokiko had traveled all the way from Tatiana to personally bring her system’s vote in a senator’s absence, stepping onto the Senate floor with two of her clan’s samurai guardians at her flanks. Today she wore a white shirt and a crimson red tie underneath a black suit with subtle dark red pinstripes that fit close to her body with its single button fastened tightly underneath her bust. On her left lapel, Tokiko had fastened a white centipede pin carved from Tatianian marble — the symbol of her great and ancient clan that had dominated Tatiana’s politics for almost as long as the system was inhabited.

Tokiko’s straight chocolate colored hair was wild and full, and was worn long enough to hit between her shoulder blades, but was nonetheless tamed to match her stature as governor. She had a beloved reputation among her planet’s people, as all members of the Saiga Clan did for their stalwart defense of Tatiana during the Second Mishhuvurthyar War, and walked confidently up to the lectern.

“The citizens of Tatiana support Ketsurui Hanako, and my government’s sole ballot goes to her,” she said in a delicate voice that still carried across the Senate chamber with authority. “Glory to the Empire and glory to the Ketsurui Clan.”

The Governor of Tatiana then stepped down and walked right back out of the room as quickly as she’d come, unconcerned with whatever reactions the Star Empire’s upstart activist politicians may hold.

Last edited:
“I beg your forgiveness. The life of an officer within our Star Army is one often rife with unexpected activity.” The senator of Jiyuu’s deep, breathy but still feminine voice announced on the heels of Governor Saiga. She had only just arrived her CO graciously went out of his way to allow her to attend such an important election. Watching as the voting continued ever onward for the next Premier. Ketsurui Koyama sat still as a statue dressed in the Type-35 uniform’s formal variant. All dress whites with her cobalt blue pin of rank cradling the triangular white enamel declaring her as an officer of the First Fleet. Ribbons and medals adorned her chest in the order of befitting her station. Having raised a hand, she looked from her fellow senators and governors that helped see to the day-to-day running of their Empire.

One and all-seeing to its citizens’ interests and security. And while it was a close-run thing within Jiyuu, she had yet to vote.

“The citizenry within my system has come to a narrow divide upon whom to cast their vote. However, I, as their senator, must cast the vote between them. I, Senator Ketsurui Koyama, cast in favor of Ketsurui-Shinjuku Hanako.”

“It is the Jiyuu System’s hope that with this said, we are of a singular belief and hope that all citizens within our Empire continue ever forward in harmonious prosperity."

Shretas gave a deep sigh, considering. His, Khelas's, and it seemed two other Senti across the entire Yamataian territories had voted at all.

"We regret to inform the Senate that there was an unexpected interaction between Senti culture and the voting system. Because of our cultural emphasis on volunteerism and expertise, most people asked believed that none of the candidates would have volunteered or campaigned without some idea of worthiness for the job. Thusly they believed all candidates held the title and that choosing between them was a waste of time. We will begin reeducation the populace to better suit the concept of politics and voting in specific, especially with regards to species systems outside our own that we are part of. That said, Shurista has entrusted me to cast our vote as a collective."

Shuffling papers, the tricentennial stood, visibly weakened since the last time he had been in the Senate hall, "We believe Anslen Volontany of the Discourse Party holds the interests of the collective species of the Empire in highest regard. The Empire grows and changes by the day. From the Kodian civil crisis to the growing unrest of the Shuristan isolationists and Skydasi cults, to the ongoing Essian and Elysian recovery from the Kuvexian war. Thusly, Shurista votes Discourse Party. Shurista votes Anslen."

Akina tilted her head with slight consternation and waited for her esteemed collegues to finish before standing to speak, "From the numbers we have, the popular vote on Jiyuu went to the other candidate. I want it noted in the record that Senator Ketsurui Koyama overrode that to vote against the majority of her people. We are here to safeguard the position from undesirables. Those without the Empress' (long may she reign), interests best at heart." Her eyes landed on the Senator from Essia, then Virginia, and finally Fujiko before sweeping back to the chamber. "Not override votes for candidates for those seemingly based on our Clan affiliations? Is this truly the state of the Three Clans?"

"Given the overall vote is going for Ketsurui-Shinjuku naishinnō-sama anyway, what is the point of overriding the consensus of Jiyuu?"
She put to Koyama pointedly.

Last edited:
"The constitution states, verbatim, that the Imperial Senate has the sole power to elect and direct the Imperial Premier of Yamatai," Hanako said. "This means that senators can vote for the Premier in any way they choose," she pointed out.

“Would you have me recast the vote then, senator?” Koyama queried her tone perfectly level as her countenance remained composed. “Shall we hold the Senator of Virginia to the same standard if questioned?” with a nod of her chin toward the current poles.

“I, however, thank you for pointing out the error of the numbers and my overiding the popular vote. And my apparent bias toward clan affiliation.” She added dryly, raising an already perfectly arched symmetrical eyebrow.

A small, slim hand inched from her seat, gesturing, “If you consider I am an undesirable to the position with the interests of the Empire and our Empress’ not at heart. Request that I recast the vote. Issue an apology and resign my position if this is so.”

“As to your question. Both parties are long standing and upright citizens of the Empire. This is not in doubt. Clans aside, whom holds the greater experience with the people living within our nation? Knows them?

I am looking past surnames and seeing to who is the optimal choice concerning managing and ensuring fairness and compromise for an august body such as this. It is about experience and temperance. Plain and simple. Someone who can conduct these sessions in such a manner.”

Koyama’s eyes narrowed a hair’s breadth then. “I re-iterate. I am not above changing my vote. Nor am I above apologizing. Nor am I voting in a manner due to clan affiliation. I am voting in such a manner hoping to ensure we as a Senate, as a people have someone seated in the Premier’s seat capable of handling the responsibilities attributed to it.”

“Does this satisfy you?”

Akina placed her head to her chest, "Respectfully, I know the Constitution, Ketsurui-Shinjuku naishinnō-sama. My brain is Ketsurui-made." She made a broad gesture to the Senate floor before replying, "Yet I did not vote for the other candidate." She bowed in a practiced, smooth motion towards Hanako at the exact depth required of her. She did, after all, greatly respect Koyama and Hanako both. She served the Empire and the Ketsurui Clan dutifully since she was spat out of hemosynth to kill Elysians.

She then addressed Koyama when she spoke up, "I'm surprised you assumed I meant you when I spoke of problematic sorts. That is hardly the case. I apologize if you do." Her tone was just as even and respectful as when she spoke before, and with Hanako. The apparent simmering hostility came as a surprise to the Taisho. "Simply existing for a length of time is a poor measure of the nature of a person's temperament or quality." One arm lifted as she gestured towards the empty seat of the Premier in the chamber. "I do, of course, request you recast your vote. If you feel an apology is warranted by all means give one. I do not think resigning in contrition is required. Your voice is important to our Empire, and Jiyuu." There was no circumstance that she would demand that, as far as she was concerned that was for the Jiyuu System to decide and she believed in them as they believed in Koyama. There was always the possibility she was being sarcastic as well, but she barely considered it; taking her seriousness with the respect it was due at face value. "We are together in our commitment to the Empire, were this a closer overall vote between them I would have no objection, nor I doubt would the candidate not here to defend votes for her own personage. This is, indeed; not the case here however."

"As I have said in recent interviews, I support both of them. Party affiliation is not needed for me to give that with my whole heart."

Snapping her attention with a severity, Sachiko put her hands from her lap to on the table before her.

"'We are here to safeguard the position from undesirables.'" Sachiko quoted. "But you are asking for a vote for the most desirable candidate to be recast. Why? Are you imploring us to put another one of your clan on a throne only for it to fall as it has — or worse, take half our Empire with it?" Her questions rhetorical, meant to only point out the history she had seen and hated to witness.

"What has Ketsurui Hanako not done for her Empire? When she was young the experimentations on her bodily abilities no doubt fueled that which you inhabit today, Nekovalkyrja. When she was older, she served an Empress, a Premier, a Mistress Taisho, and then another Empress. She grew up in the house of royalty and learned politicking firsthand as she waited on those in power. But the needs of her Empire cried out stronger, still, and she served aboard a starship and away from Geshrintall soil, protecting those that lived her until her dying breaths. She survived countless torture, humiliation, and peril not so that she could survive, but so that we could survive."

Sachiko's nose had turned a little red as she sniffed and blinked her newly watery eyes as she realized just how much Hanako had been through. She wanted to say no person should have to go what Hanako had gone through only to lose to her own party, but she didn't. She didn't have ill words to speak of anyone. Sachiko simply wanted to bolster the woman who she couldn't imagine Yamatai without.

"And yet she stayed in service. Loyal enough to write our national anthem and take a job handing out orders rather than commanding an exciting starship as she had grown famous for. Or perhaps she was famous for her countless additions to Yamatai's technology. Or better yet, as a woman of the people that walks amongst them frequently to bring joy and lift their spirits. And yet we are arguing if the likely winner of this election will be desirable for the position... Drivel. Insidious to say 'three clans' when Yamatai is and has always been one: hers.

"We know who the most desirable person for the position is and so does the rest of her people. If simply existing for a length of time isn't a measure of them, perhaps simply existing for a length of time due to one person's heroic actions ought to be a measure of theirs. Because I know my people would have been re-conquered all over again if not for her bravery in protecting us. I would like to continue to see how she may protect us in the future, wouldn't you?"

Tamafune just listened as what was supposed to be just a simple affirmation of votes made something else apparent to her: the votes didn't really matter. Not that she intended to say anything, she was an absolute nobody and it did her or the Reds to jump in with her opinions.

She just learned back towards her assistant. "Let FDC know they better prepare the Tactical Division once word of this spreads among Fujiko and Ukmirt. You know how crazy those anarchists get when they find a shred of evidence that supports them." she whispered.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back