• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Exo-suit usage in SARP

I think I should clarify 'armor'.
EOT_IMAGEWORKS_VFX_03A.jpg
This is about as heavy as the armor gets.
I would like to clarify my clarification. I'm not proposing power armor. Any armor attached to the hardpoints are just that, armor plates that are attached to and protecting the hardware and then some of the user. Should a fella decided to equip armor to all of the hardpoints there is still a likelihood that something dangerous is going to bite them somewhere soft and the armor isn't going to be made of heavy metals, maybe it'll be ablative. I don't know yet. I'm not even sure if it'll fly without a special backpack yet. Odds are that aether will burn right through or superheat the metal and cook the wearer.

This is not power armor at the level we recognize. The image above might be considered a hard suit, maybe. Or perhaps we could just ask a flamethrower what he thinks.:D
The armor is an option and the intention is for people to put it were they need it, not depend on it.

The system I'm drafting up right now is not going to support that much armor with anything heavier than a light machine gun, let alone a bubble shield(which is kinda dangerous for someone who is only wearing Kevlar).
The standard power source it'll be sporting won't be capable of supporting a shield, which is intentionally being done to force any future shield unit to be heavy in addition to being dependent on some innovative shield-proof jumpsuit for survival. It's not power armor, I don't want it to ever be power armor. If someone wants power armor the Impulse is a fine machine. My character is probably going to own a sniper rig in the future for assassination SAINT style. My inspiration is for them to be light and quick for hit and run attacks and such.

This is my idea of what a professional door kicking soldier would want out of his rig for an assault.
Not too light, not too heavy, and definitely not over encumbered which will need a penalty.
awww.badrobots.se_wp_content_uploads_2013_07_Edgeoftomorrow_poster.jpg

As far as controls go I'd like it to be controlled by neural signals through the spine and use Nanomuscle Strands for fine movement, and servos for general lifting power unless there's a better reason not to.

@Gunhand4171, I was hoping to get permission to include Nepleslia in the lore of the Origin Industries Exo-suit load-bearing apparatus. Would something like this be popular in Nepleslian territories?

At this point in planning there are three grades;
Recreational: for the common man, easily wearable on top of or beneath clothing. Favored for extreme sports, moving companies, light-duty labor.
Industrial: for usage in heavy duty labor trades, capable of highest weight capacities.
Combat: without question the most versatile of the production, featuring plenty of hard points for attachments. These suits allowed soldiers field certain power armor grade weaponry. It is a diverse grade with 3 classifications for size; light(discreet and even covert, slightly larger than recreational grade), mid(a compromise between light and heavy combat suits), and heavy(similar to industrial-grade suits, these are built for carrying very heavy loads).

I am on board. I don't think we would have as much of a need for the Military grade variant because of PAs, but I can see the NSMC and the NSN techs, field mechanics, and the like using them. Plus the industrial and recreational ones would be big in Nep territory

Doshii raises concerns regarding the new Damage Rating implementation. I'm not that bothered with it.

So, it's something that gives power armor functionality, but without the plating? Sure then; it's an unarmored light power armor. Then the article submissions goes on how well it does (or doesn't) cover the user and the GM that will be the referee can make his calls according to that.

*shrug* I don't see what's the big deal. It'll essentially just straddle a line between hardsuits and light power armors most of the time, and the GMs will sort out the rest. Even easier if the thing has actual art to go with the explanation.

@Gunhand4171, Sweet! I'll mention it in the write-up. Also, it's good to not that none of this hardware is military-grade because, well, power armor is better in most ways. My intention for combat grade is to be used by base personnel, cannon loaders, engineering crews, and general military upkeep. I'm sure emergency workers would find it useful too.

And armor plating would be a lifesaver, much like a flack vest... GM tool;)

"Unarmored light power armor" sounds insane, but I can see how easily that works, and I feel silly not reading that into it sooner. Thanks kindly Fred! DR guru to the rescue.

I have created the main Wiki page for this submission.

I intend to build this technology from the ground up so if anyone at all wishes to share input or participate in the project please feel free to join in!

Also, does anyone have an affordable artist in mind that could draw the concept art?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back