• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Rejected Submission Experience Pins

Ethereal

Banned Member
Submission RP Example
https://stararmy.com/roleplay-forum/threads/innovation-awards-to-lapel-ribbons.69200/
Submission URL
https://stararmy.com/wiki/doku.php?id=stararmy:awards:experience_pins
Submission Faction(s)
  1. Yamatai (except Elysia)
Submission Terms
  1. I agree
Given our current awards system with number pins going on awards for multiple citations. This is great until you realise if people have a lot of double-digit citations for awards their lapel will look like a string of assembly code or something. This is a little more pretty and also solves the issue of not being able to show experience differences within the same rank on duty uniforms, too.

This also has impacts on the necessity of the Experience Award, so feel free to discuss. Having the experience award when we visually count the number of service/combat citations is running two counters for the same thing anyways.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
  1. I like the part about using a kanji pin once you get in the double digits instead of numbers (to the point of granting pre-emptive fm approval for this part)
  2. I am ambivalent about displaying on duty uniform
    1. that said, the type 42 duty uniform is varihue on the shoulders and panel, and the 42 bodysuit is straight up omnihue everywhere.
    2. that said, @Toshiro, do we need a 42B that is upgraded from varihue to omnihue, since the 42 duty was locked in right before omnihue got deployed?

To be clear: Do these go on medals or somewhere new on the uniform?

To be clear: Do these go on medals or somewhere new on the uniform?
One is on medals instead of having double digit number pins

The other part of the proposal that i was unsure about is putting it on the collar if they have it for a relevant award (like if a sa starship captain has 10 command awards, they wear the kanji pin on collar)

The point of the Type 35 was to make something easy and straightforward for artists, and going with that, I'm not sure I want to add a new item "slot" onto the uniform.

These go over the ribbons in the same place that the regular 1-9 silver numbers would go. They replace double digits. As currently some lapels would look kind of like this:

[23][17][13][14] rather than you being able to see the nice colours.

The hinomaru pins will be small and unobtrusive for the most part, and are nicer to see than a bunch of silver numbers imo.

On the duty uniform, they can also be displayed like collar studs, depending on your MOS. It helps show that a logi Joto Heisho shouldn't brush off the advice of another logi Joto Heisho, because they can spot that they know their stuff, even if they're of the same rank, whereas without something like this the newer Joto Heisho may think they're the bees knees and top dog of the field.

You could always have it go somewhere more unobtrusive - maybe something on the shoulder pads? Artists tend not to draw from the top after all. Or just say that they aren't wearing it that day given it's optional to wear when not in formals.

I don't know, I've been doing the number thing on medals since before this site existed and these medals were something I gave my toys as a kid (yes, I really did give my toy GI Joes orders paperwork, cash paychecks, and orders and medals). Maybe the numbers seem like a problem to you but to me they're part of the Star Army's unique heritage that makes it distinct from other military forces in real life and fiction. That's why I had down-voted this thread originally, that and not wanting anything on the collar. I am just not really super hip on changing something that's been part of the Star Army for 20 years. If people really want these I'll change it, but that's why we have upvotes/downvotes in this forum so people can vote on thing kind of things and I can see what the members want. While I don't think this is a bad submission at all I'm iffy on changing the thing it would change, if that makes sense.

The idea is it stops being numbers after a point so people don’t have 50 pinned to a ribbon I think. There’s a special marker for 50. Not replacing numbers altogether. Like right now Tachiko has 9 mission awards. After Resurgence 6 she will get 10. In this system she’d go from 9 to kanji title instead of 10, right eth ?

Under the existing system, if you have 67 of a medal you just pin a metal "6" and "7" onto it, which is pretty straightforward and everyone can read what it means. It's okay to have a rack that looks like an IP address!

@Yuuki @Wes Wes made the Type 42 Duty Uniform to have Varihue, though it is only mentioned in one place. I don't know if that is an error. The Type 42 Bodysuit I made, by contrast, uses Omnihue.

I could make a new update I suppose.

I'm rejecting this due to:
  • don't want awards to spill onto the collar
  • no art, but art is really important for uniforms
  • we already got a system that works okay and has two decades of tradition behind it.
No negativity intended! This is not a bad submission at all, I just don't think it clicked. Please hit me up in the early concept stages when making Star Army stuff so you'll know what is going to work or not before you go put too much time into stuff that may or may not work out.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back