• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Explorer Reporting

Jomber

Inactive Member
Hello all! New person to the forum. I'm not that great at introductions, so I'm going to just borrow from the template.

What do you call yourself?
Jomber as my main username. I also sometimes post under Weaver.

How'd you find Star Army?
I literally googled "Sci-Fi RP Forum" and scrolled for a bit.

What interested you in joining?
Man it is really hard to find a sci-fi roleplaying forum. Most of the stuff out there is fantasy, which is understandable, but I also like having spaceships from time to time. I also like the idea of a shared universe. I've got my own stuff which will never see the light of day here, but having a consistent setting is something I'm willing to try.

Ever done this text-based roleplaying thing before?
Yes. Limited experience compared to roleplaying in general. Did you know that Starcraft 2 has a mod called Cortex Roleplaying? It's a fun sandbox engine, but the community has seen better days.

Any previous experiences you want to share?
Oh man, tons; good and bad. I'll share a good story, although horror stories are always funny in retrospect. So, I have this character named Toji_3472, which I hope I can bring into this setting. He's a human uploaded into a network shared across four robot bodies, one being the "main" body. The procedure didn't go as planned, so he has an eccentric personality. For some context, he came from a tabletop RPG called Fragged Empire, so a lot of his exploits come from high/low rolls.

Such exploits include, sneaking out of a military base to create the best snowman ever and taking a picture of it. Successfully using a shopping cart he found to avoid a trap completely by accident. Defeating an enemy by headbutting them despite having no skill in melee. Creating decorations to celebrate just about anything. Being scared of and eventually defeating "The Library Monster," who was actually a spy that nobody caught on, and Toji only had an inkling, which he rationalized could only be something terrifying. Creating a ramshackle boat to sail in a pool using various kitchenware found around a ship. Perhaps most usefully though was using his skills as a geologist to oversee a mining operation, and then defending it from hostile wildlife. Also, due to bad stating on my part, sucking for half the campaign in combat.

Now for the questionnaire!

Do you prefer:
  • Playing male, female, or other-gendered characters?
    Male mostly. I do branch out sometimes.
  • Spontaneous or planned RP?
    Either or. Plans are nice, but impromptu shenanigans are always nice too.
  • Military or civilian characters?
    A mix. I lean more towards civilians however, after many bad experiences with any kind of combat between characters. Nobody wants to lose, but someone has to, and it sure ain't going to be them.
  • Humans, androids, anthros, or aliens?
    Aliens for sure. A splash of anthros maybe, depending if you do or do not classify insectoids as one. I *may* have an obsession with spiders and other bugs. I'm not the biggest fan of androids, since I like robots for looking like a robot, and not pretending to be a human.
  • Being on a starship or being on a planet?
    Both, though if it's on a ship I prefer having all the players as a crew on one ship rather than spread across multiple. That's just me.
  • Roleplay via forum posts or in real-time?
    I prefer real-time, although time is a luxury and getting everyone's schedule to line up is the same as waiting for the planets to align.
On a scale of 1 to 3, what's your preferred level of these in your RP:
  • Language: 2 - I'm fine with swearing, I swear myself, but there are some words I will never use.
  • Violence: 3 - If someone wants to describe someone being blown into a fine red mist, then by all means do it.
  • Sexuality: 0 - I know it says 1 to 3, but that part of my brain must be burned out or something because I cannot do romance or anything close it.
What's something cool you'd love to RP?
Probably something completely out there. My knee-jerk reaction was something to do with inter-dimensional travel wackiness where time and space don't make sense, but from what I can gather, that's not really a thing in this setting. (Although correct me if I'm wrong.) As for something more realistic, I dunno... a murder-mystery on a cruise ship?

My multiple universe ideas have gotten stale, so I just added "inter-dimensional travel wackiness where time and space don't make sense" to my notes, thank you! And welcome to a very sci-fi setting! It's soft sci-fi, not hard, but absolutely is not fantasy! You landed just where I think you want to be! We also generally don't pvp, it's pve and GMs are nice. I don't think combat will treat you the same here.

The first recommendation I like to make is to find a plot and make your first (of possibly many) characters for it. Active plots page or characters wanted are both good resources there, though active plots page could use a clean up. Your GM will be a massive aid in making your character and joining, so definitely find a DM with em when you decide!

The larger space faring and warring factions seem up your alley but nose around and check what interests you:

I am happy to see what you create here!

Uploading people into stuff is definitely something becoming a trend around here. The character will definitely work here, and don't worry, eccentric tends to be the norm lol. Hit me up if you have questions, or need help.

Thanks for the replies! I'm checking out the Discord as well. I'm also glad to have added time-space shenanigans to your list. I'm sure to bug someone in the near future as I scout around.

Welcome! Ame provided some great resources to check out, so if you’re looking to jump in those are great to start with. The wiki can be a bit confusing if you haven’t used it before, so don’t be afraid to reach out for help!

As for your roleplay, I think you’ve definitely found a home to RP in! SARP has so many things, and even if you think you won’t like it, I recommend you still try it out just incase. I didn’t think I’d like being on an exploration ship in Yamatai (Nepleslia always appealed more to me), but here I am wanting to go back lol. Take my suggestions as serious as you want, but what I did to get started was I found a plot that I thought really suited me (Started with Aquila Flight, starfighter stuff :)), and then took a leap and branched out.

It’s important though to remember this is YOUR RP, so do what you think is best. Hope you enjoy your stay, and if you need any help feel free to DM me here or on the Discord. I’d be happy to help :)

RPG-D RPGfix
Back