• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Approved Character Flynt Ferrix, Mercenary

Flynt Ferrix

Inactive Member
Character Name: Flynt Ferrix

Species: Nepleslian
Creator/Parents: The casualties of a pirate invasion

Faction: Independant
Current Assignment: None

Hair color and Style: He has blonde spiked hair, about medium length (1-3 inches)
Build and Skin Color: He has a good build, having been in the military, and is not afraid to show it,. His skin is flesh toned.
Face and Eye Color: his face is longer than it is wide, with a bit of a squared chin. His eyes are a light Gray.
Distinguishing Features: He has a scar that goes from his left temple, to the bridge of his nose.

Personality: He tries more than often enough to be a bad ass, but in actuallity is more like your best friend, he doesnt cause harm unless he has a contract, or a damned good reason.

Dislikes: He hates wasting ammunition, and dealing with crime bosses.
Goals: To flip the world that people who hire him expect, and if he cant take them out, then he will die trying.

Class: Ranger
Skills:
Species:
Language: Geshrin-6

Class:
Camouflage-4
Sniping-4
(Special)
Improved Accuracy-4

Occupational:
Weapon: Assassin-5
Poison-5
Disguise-5
Impersonation-5
Computer Operation-5
Computer Programming-5

Learned Skills (starting):
Weapon: Sniper Rifles-5
Fishing-5
Wilderness Survival-5

History: Served in the Star Army as a part of a scout/sniper team, before a raid on an encampment that he was stationed at. After he fired all the ammunition he had, he and his spotter fled, wounded badly. They waited for reinforcements to come, and helped them to defeat the Pirates. After he offered his help they accused him and his spotter of being deserters, and he fled, looking back only briefly to see his best friend shot, right in front of his eyes. After he fled, he fished to survive, and built himself shelters that no one but him, knew were there. He now works for the highest bidder, and loathes the Star Army for their actions toward him.

Inventory: He has the following; 1-Heavily customized <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=sniper rifle" onmouseover="window.status='sniper rifle'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">sniper rifle</a>, 2-Basic Job gear, (assassin weapons: daggers, knifes, poisons,), 3-Stealth, Sniping, Business, and casual attire, 4-Tattered black travellers cloak (doubles as sniping gear), 5-Data pads, 6-<a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=22&k=duct tape" onmouseover="window.status='duct tape'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">duct tape</a>, 7-Sectioned backpack.

(I think i got this right, tell me if i need any changes, and suggestions are always welcome)

Your character is approved!

Welcome to the Star Army Science-Fiction Role-Play. Please post your contact info (to include your first and last name) in this thread.

I don't know why an assassin would have one sniper rifle and then close quarters weapons without a close range firearm like a pistol. I also don't know why the Star Army would call people deserters like that, but it's your history and it was all right, so I'm not complaining. I'm not sure how your rifle is customized (you should probably expand on that, instead of just saying "heavily customized") but if your character is a fugitive then you're sniper rifle would be singled out and could lead people to you. Not saying you're just gonna go walking around with the thing but if it's custom then someone could figure out if you made a hit or if you were around or whatever.

So, what customizations does the rifle have?

Sorry bout not replying, never really checked back on my chara sheet. Anyway, the rifle is customized in that, the barrel has been completely machined out of a solid block of titanium alloy, the receiver has been hand crafted, to perfection, the scope was bought, and then customized to the exact specifications of the bullets he uses. It also has other more standard modifications to it, a bipod, scope rail, raised cheek piece, a fluted barrel, and a thumb hole stock.

The reason he only has the rifle and the close range combat weapons, is because he like to stay at range, and if he has to depend on something more than his rifle, its because he has no room to shoot with it, or needs to stay quiet.

No one could really figure out the weapon used to make the hit either, because the rifling would be a custom job, and he did it himself. So in that respect it is untraceable. The ammunition is also just standard 168 grain, 7.62x52 mm so its a common round, (at least now) it has a bit more power, and its an AP (armor piercing) bullet most of the time, but you cant trace from that either.

Again sorry it took a while, i never really checked back. hope that satisfies your curiosity.

No one will have any respect for a gun barrel made out of titanium...
Titanium is not used in gun barrels, only in gun casing to reduce weight. If you have a sniper rifle with a titanium barrel it will warp and distort on your first shot, you'll never be able to hit the target.

At least make it steel or smart metals, this is sci-fi so you might as well use something high grade.

Also, that would be carrying around a large rifle everywhere you go. Wolf isn't talking about tracing the bullets but just people seeing you on the street and going 'hey, that guy has a big rifle on his back' Its one of a kind as you said so people can't possibly mistake you for anyone else.

oh i understand that, he doesnt carry it everywhere with him, like you said, that would be stupid.

Since its Sci Fi, thats why i used titanium, they may have some process, better than anodizing available to cut back on weight and use a differnt metal. Just didnt really think about it i guess. Course i could give him a bul barrel made entirely of steel, but what fun would that be?

If lined with steel, titanium barrels work great.

RATHER THAN CARRY A GUN WITH JUST A FEW PARTS MADE OF THIS UNIQUE MATERIAL, WHY NOT GO ALL THE WAY?

In the closing days of 1998, rumors circulated regarding the impending introduction by a major gun manufacturer of revolvers made of titanium, the space-age "wonder metal" that combines extreme light weight, superb strength and essentially total resistance to corrosion.

Although Smith & Wesson had already announced their titanium-cylinder AirLite Ti small-frame revolver, the big shocker came when Taurus International, based in Miami, Fla., took the wraps off their extensive line of Total Titanium wheelguns in January of 1999.

To be sure, titanium has been used for years to make some small, high-stress gun parts. No gun maker, however, had plunged head-on into the manufacture of a revolver in which the entire frame, barrel and cylinder are made of drop-forged and extruded titanium alloy, while maintaining the retail price at a reasonable level. Although titanium is a fairly common material, it is difficult to process, costing up to 10 times more than steel, pound for pound.

High cost aside, titanium offers higher elasticity and strength than steel, while weighing just two-thirds of an equivalent volume. Titanium is also virtually impervious to corrosion, another highly desirable feature to have in a gun, particularly one intended for personal defense on a daily basis. In fact, titanium is so corrosion-proof that it is widely used for surgical bone-replacement implants.

The Elemental Touch

Seeing the new Taurus titanium revolvers, I decided to try them out. I picked the two new titanium variations of the proven .38 Special Taurus Model 85 snubby, the Total Titanium and UltraLite Titanium. As a long-time fan of the .38 Special, particularly in +P loads -- for which these new guns are rated -- I wanted to see how these highly touted Taurus models would perform as concealed-carry sidearms for law-enforcement and licensed civilian alike.

The Taurus Total Titanium Model 85 series consists of four models differing only in their finish. The latter runs the gamut from what the manufacturer calls Bright Spectrum Blue -- a peculiarly attractive, shiny shade of blue -- to Matte Spectrum Blue, Matte Spectrum Gold and my personal favorite, Stealth Gray. Incidentally, all of these finishes are now Taurus trademarks.

Dubbed the Total Titanium Model 855G2G, the Stealth Gray version, like its stable-mates, is a compact five-shot revolver measuring just 6" overall and tipping the scales at 15.4 ozs. Although most of its major components are made of titanium, certain key parts must be hardened to levels beyond those possible with titanium.

Therefore, the trigger, cylinder latch, ejector rod, hammer and several small parts -- such as sideplate screws and springs -- are made from casehardened, high-tensile chrome-moly steel.

The 2" titanium barrels on all of these models have high-tensile stainless steel bore liners. This is due to the fact that titanium, being more elastic than steel, will not hold rifling. Titanium, however, allows the barrels to be ported, something not possible with stainless-lined aluminum barrels. Aluminum simply could not withstand the erosion caused by the hot gas vented through the ports. All of these compact Taurus titanium snubbies are, therefore, factory-ported -- three neat holes on each side of the front sight -- a crucial factor contributing to their superb shootability.

Another important reason to have ported barrels in these titanium revolvers is that they would otherwise be subjected to more intense recoil forces. This could result in some of the live cartridges in the gun having their bullets slipping out of the cases far enough to extend beyond the cylinder face and cause the cylinder to jam. Manufacturers of ultra-lightweight revolvers without barrel porting generally advise buyers as to specific types of ammo that should not be fired in those guns, in order to avoid that potential problem.

More Than Metal

Besides titanium construction, these new Taurus models incorporate other new and impressive design features. For instance, they have extended ejector rods that permit more reliable extraction/ejection of fired cartridge cases, a feature soon to be added to the entire Taurus revolver line. There is also a new spring-loaded detent added to the top of the yoke. This detent forces the cylinder to remain tightly aligned within the frame during firing and does away with the common latch at the tip of the ejector rod. Incidentally, this is a feature normally seen only in expensive custom revolvers from top-notch gunsmiths.

All of the new Taurus 85 titanium revolvers come with outstanding Santoprene (soft rubber) boot grips that also go a long way towards reducing felt recoil, particularly with +P fodder. The sights are fixed, consisting of a rear square notch and a serrated ramp blade up front. In addition, they all incorporate the hammer-mounted Taurus Security System that renders the gun inoperable through the use of a special key.

The Ultra-Lite Titanium version of the Model 85 differs from the Total Titanium models only in that it features an aluminum frame. The cylinder and stainless-lined ported barrel are made of titanium, with the Stealth Gray finish. This model, also dubbed the Multi Alloy by Taurus, is even lighter than the Total Titanium 85s, weighing just 13.5 ozs. The combination of matte aluminum and Stealth Gray make the Multi Alloy rather striking in appearance.

That Feathery Feeling

Shooting these two new titanium wheelguns was a truly different experience. Despite factory literature touting their controllability, I expected their recoil to be fairly harsh, given their feathery "feel" in the hand. Having fired virtually every type of lightweight snub-nosed revolver produced during the last quarter century, I know firsthand just how punishing these small revolvers can be.

After firing a couple of hundred rounds of assorted +P fodder through the Total Titanium and Multi Alloy revolvers, I must tell you my fears were totally unjustified. Of course there is recoil, but the combination of barrel porting and those soft rubber grips basically eradicate any shooting discomfort, even after extended firing.

Another performance plus of these guns is controllability, even in quick DA fire. Since muzzle flip is drastically curtailed, rapid target acquisition is the norm. In low light situations, the upward-directed blast coming out of the barrel ports did not seem to be any more problematic than the muzzle blast out of an un-ported 2" .38 Special.

Snubnosed centerfire revolvers are not particularly noted, nor intended, for extreme accuracy at long range. They are meant for quick and decisive firepower up-close, when one must shoot in order to remain among the living. Again, these Taurus titanium .38s proved that they are also capable of delivering respectable accuracy.

Tests fired at 10 yards with both models, in rapid, two-handed double action mode, stayed well within the vital area of the combat silhouette targets and averaged a rather impressive 2" groups.

When I say "rapid," I mean just that, as recovery between shots with both of these models is decidedly much faster than with a conventional, nonported lightweight snubby. Their trigger pulls, in both double and single action, were quite smooth, running approximately 12 lbs. and 3 lbs., respectively, for both test guns.

Both the Total Titanium and the Ultra-Lite Multi Alloy were fed similar diets of Federal, 158 gr. +P lead SWC HPs, Federal 129 gr. HydraShoks and Winchester 110 gr. Silvertips. While all of those hot loads performed admirably in these guns, the Ultra-Lite Multi Alloy seemed to prefer the Silvertips, while the Total Titanium model was a bit more partial to the Hydra Shoks. In the final analysis, this is all academic anyway, as these superb Taurus titanium .38s will do their job without fail when it really counts.

From http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... i_57006141

RPG-D RPGfix
Back