• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Fog of War

OsakanOne

Retired Member
"Fog of War"

Although areas of the SARP which have not yet been or mapped obviously exist, there is a need to be able to talk about them and eventually visit and expand upon the setting which will encourage players to go to planets more often.

The idea of the Fog of War methodology is that these places do exist and information to make players able to visit and roleplay in these environments should be provided on demand by more experienced roleplayers on request.

If in the event a location is to be visited, any noticeable traits (for example architecture) or anything particularly outstanding (a nearby enemy factory or a club which is to be visited) might be submitted so players are able to return to the place accurately.

If the place has already been visited, observations may be added under a "amendments & observations" section (for example, noticing factions of a clan, damage, a particular store which was pleasant and so forth).

While the Fog of War would not be strictly enforced, it can be considered a sort of advertising and makes it easier for players to return to a location if they do so on a regular basis which creates a drive for GMs and players to add to the amendment section in a character-based format (for example: "I saw X. I thought Y. I considered Z.").

In the event players own a structure (for example a ship, apartment complex or something similar) it would be a good idea for players to create a basic layout map from which players who visit these places will be able to navigate without seeming hopelessly lost.

These locations would be added under the Wiki though the syntax and particular fields which need to be added must be debated so an example can be created.

This is a very experimental idea and I'd just like to see what you all think to it. We almost had something similar in a past RP and the parts we did have came in very handy for GMs and players alike.

I understand what you mean by it, but this would really only stand for moderator-level submissions to the setting which they would keep hidden for the 'Whoa' factor of it. Otherwise, the consistant demand for anything new in the setting to be submitted through the tech & submission board eliminates the possibility to explore something that is truly unquantified or unknown.

I'm not entirely sure but I've noticed that in myself, Forte, Doctor Tomoe and even Doshii that there is a distinct hesitance to go off into the unknown because we as players wishing to SP roleplay really don't know what the hell we're doing or if we're contradicting someone else.

I thought this might be a solution.

Specifically, it's for things like towns and cities and not planets or specific buildings.

Basically, any information about anything in the SARP should be added to the wiki, that way other GMs and players can use it to make their adventures consistent. Unless it's something major, you can avoid the contributions forum. Put it straight to the wiki. We don't need the C&I forum full of things like the sports bar you invented for a Funky City trip, or the name of the street you drove down in Kyoto.

Every change made ot the Wiki gets sent to Andrew and me. If we have a problem with anything wikified, we'll revert the changes and let you know (and at that point you'd take it to the Contributions Forum).

So what you're saying is, Wes, to just go ahead and post stuff to the wiki without any feedback from the community or any chance at improving it to the point that it will be a welcome addition, but allowing it to be deleted or changed in a manner that is unsatisfactory to the person who submitted it?

I think we need the C&I forum to stick around, but for things like this I suppose it would be easier to tack a specific location link in a planetary description and build it from there. The only thing I could think of that would be better (sort of) would be to have an interactive map of sorts, but that's too time and resource intensive to be a feasible short-term implementation.

Putting every wiki edit though the contribution review process is unrealistic.

If you put something in the wiki, it be improved by anyone. If you want feedback, it's fine to post it in the contributions forum. If not, then don't -- I'll read your wiki submission in my email and if there's any problems I'll edit it myself.

Compromise -- do what Fian does and post a link to the item that's on the wiki TO the C&I board.

If there's a problem, we can discuss it. There won't be any double-formatting or anything like that. And it makes Wes happy.

But it gets around the main problem with what Wes suggests -- no one ELSE will know when something's put on the wiki.

Recent Changes button, or, make a "List of Recent Additions" page?

It's good we don't have a fog of war, I think. That's what the approval process itself does!

RPG-D RPGfix
Back