• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Fred's musing on Damage Ratings

Fred

Retired Staff
Hey guys. :D

Yes, this time, it's my turn. You can rollover your eyes in exasperation at yet another DR topic. I know I would at this point in time: it's been the cause of way too much annoyance and drama of late in my opinion.

It doesn't mean I didn't see the problems piling up, though, and didn't take notes of the issues aired. I also have concerns about how SARP's gaining an alarmingly larger number of instances where number crunching is required - or where the guidelines are increasingly being used as rules rather than helpful common bearings.

Brace yourselves. Long post ahead:

Let's revise a bit on where we've been.

• When I first got on Star Army five years ago, we already had damage ratings. From power armors to mighty warships, these usually were clumped in the upper very heavy, super-heavy and total annihilation bracket. Everything was supposedly extremely powerful and even a power armor's rifle could be fired from orbit to raze city blocks from afar.

That was refined, mostly on my request to Wes, into the beginning of what we've been calling the DR system. We got a scale from 1 to 10 drawn up, with weapons and materials going all around it.

Those were mostly penetration/resistance against penetration values, though, which said that if a weapon was 4 points below the target's armor rating, it wasn't bound to accomplish much.

Shields also cropped up with a 'higher than this and you can't hurt me' and if you went over the shield's target number, it'd increment down by 1.

After some time, I got annoyed with that layout and introduced the present system. I wanted a much clearer demarcation between the weaponry a power armor and a starship could do. I wanted starship weaponry to be more powerful than power armor weaponry. I wanted starships to feel tougher than power armors. I wanted shields to be able to have a limited capacity to absorb damage, and to be depleted overtime too. I wanted to establish size categories which would be tied to the power of weapons, the defensive potential of shields, to have smaller ships and larger ships have more of the kind of presence I felt they would have (because then, the pocket battleship ruled, and everything else seemed to suck by comparison).

I think I mostly succeeded at those goals. I think it was an actual improvement at the time. But times are changing, SARP as a setting is growing more complex, and I'm concerned that this complexity will have it sag under its own weight as people wish to refine and better depict the things added to SARP, etcetera. For example, the mecha scale worked when power armors were treated as fightercraft, with the larger mecha being relatively rare. With the Iroma in, this is no longer the case.

And again, I'm getting increasingly worried about the kind of number crunching, or the attempts to detail the DR foundation further which may lead to even more number crunching. I want the DR system to remain something that's intuitively easy for the GMs to use to depict their plots in our setting. I also think some tweaks could be done here and there.

This is why I'm having the conversation here, away from most of the natives. This is ultimately a GM's tool, and I don't want to give this free discussion widely on the boards yet.

So...

The two things which distinguish the present DR system is the category grade, and the damage scale within those categories. Damage scales, because those are the most tied to size within one grade (how much an anti-armor weapon will hurt the intended target versus size of target along with concern over what size in the mecha category has a right to wield what weapon potency), appears to be the point which is under the most contention. The stronger point of our present damage rating system are the grade categories.

Because of the above, I'm thinking that streamlining potential damage and penetration values back together might be the way to go.

There was also a concern about weapon lethality that came up, and basically SARP weapons aren't depicted as half as lethal as they ought to be.

The Personnel grade is also woefully redundant. About any weapon on the personnel scale, from knives, to swords, to Miniguns, have the potential to quickly kill a soft target, and that's mostly the perogative of GMs.

Shields are also a concern. Damage tracking on a grand scale is rather tricky to do and involves a factor of book-keeping that we could do without. One of Uso's early disagreements with shields having hit points was simply not the way our technology actually works and I kind of have to give him the argument now that I understand these kinds of things better. As I GM, I believe I can perhaps find ways to tastefully integrate these things.

Also, the way armor SP is being treated hints that SARP armors are mostly ablative/hit point based like Battletech. This comes up to a specific purpose us Game Master seem to trust on power armor: players given power armors are players being granted a pool of hit points, or a depletable plot shield. Without power armor, we GMs have less excuses to spare them harm, and any hurt done to my players during an action oriented plot have resulted in gameplay pacing slowing down. We want to inspire the presence of danger and risk by giving something that can be depleted, while actually being able to afford being able to harm the PCs under our wing to achieve that dramatic impact.

The above said, I'm inclined to go for the following:

Anti-Personnel Grade:
These weapons, going from knives, spears, swords, bow and arrows, crossbows, pistols, machineguns and so forth involve the ability to inflict possibly lethal harm on a soft target.

Usefulness against armor-grade target limited, minimal against mecha-grade targets.

Body armor is essentially a GM excuse for a wearer to survive being hit by Anti-Personnel weaponry and survive the hit. Usually, being hit by a bullet even though someone is wearing a bulletproof vest is a pretty big deal. I don't think body armor deserves a grade of its own, or that a GM needs to have a SP scale for it.

Power armor is essentially made to protect the user from anti-personnel weapons. The idea here is that even though it's made to protect against it, it shouldn't go to the point of invulnerability - an advantage, but not one that should be taken for granted; especially considering the existence of weapons like the Star Army of Yamatai's Nekovalkyrja Service Pistol that can under some setting indeed harm power armors.

I don't think this detracts from power armors in this light. Most power armor players use have self-healing functions, the armor proper, possibly presence of a physical cover like the Daisy's elliptoid shield, and a energized barrier to take hits before that, along with being able to survive environmental hazards and also enhanced strength.

Anti-Armor Grade:
These weapons - going from grenades, rockets, railguns and direct energy weaponry - are most often fatal to soft targets. They are principally made to eliminate power armored targets.

Such weapons are potentially lethal to armor-grade targets. Because of the advanced technology often used, they retain some effectiveness against mecha-grade targets with focused use.

When you use an anti-armor rifle like the LASR, you ultimate expect that it's going to be, well, anti-armor. Meaning that you should expect to be able to swiftly kill the target, barring barrier shielding or opposed reactions.

Such a tweak would render power armored combat more lethal. It'd place more importance on decisive action, the use of cover, the importance of a depleted but recharging energy barrier, and such.

The heftier weapons you could expect from humanoids, such as bazookas and grenades, remain a sizeable threat to a power armor. Because of the short gap between the personnel and armor grade, it validates the use of unaugmented mishhuvurthyar as credible opponents against power armors too.

Anti-Mecha Grade:
Powerful weapons such as guide missiles and bombs, mines, autocannons, gauss rifles and beam cannons end up being carried on the chassis of larger mechanized units and even vehicles such as fightercraft.

Against armor-grade targets, this amount of damage can prove devastating. A Mecha-grade target may end up being quickly crippled or destroyed by an anti-mecha weapon. Starship-grade targets may suffer significant damage if put under sustained fire or struck on a vulnerable spot.

We enter the realm of the more powerful weapons in the higher end of the mechanized realm. A Daisy carrying a gauss bazooka like they use in my Miharu plot could have this kind of firepower. A larger mecha could rush in, firing its cannons and cripple if not destroy squads of unwary power armors, a tank could fire a missile and shoot down a vulnerable fightercraft, a starfighter could go and destroy a starship's weapon turret or engine port would also portray well the intended effectiveness of the anti-mecha grade.

Ultimately, I believe the use of mecha is to serve as credible 'boss' encounters in my plots so I don't necessarily want them to be overbearingly powerful, but I think - put in this light - that if gives them the sort of portrayal people like Fiver and Exhack might've felt they deserved. What power armor are to unarmored people, mecha are to power armor - that sounds fair to me.

Anti-Starship Grade:
Powerful warheads carried by bombers, anti-matter railguns, fusion torpedoes, particle beams... these sort of weapons are built with the purpose of taking down starships in space battle.

Usually carried sparingly by mechanized units, anti-starship weapons can level city blocks. They have the power to sorely tax the defenses of most starships to tear their vulnerable hull armor open to vaccuum in order to destroy them. Capital-grade targets, more massive, better armored and shielded, can suffer through much more of this kind of punishment.

Most SARP plotships rather neatly fit in this category. I think the scale ratio between personnel/armor, armor/mecha and mecha/starship should be self-explanatory by now, and the idea that anti-starship weapons should prove a potent and immediate threat to starships should also be obvious too.

I'm not broaching Structural Ratings at this point. I'm fairly confident most GMs actually have a good grasp on deciding what sort of damage a ship out to take when hit by whatever-weapon. The actual 'mechanics' behind what renders a starship more susceptible to damage may be more important - I'll broach that later on.

Anti-Capital Ship Grade:
This category of weaponry can usually only be afforded to the more massive warships in known space. Aether Shock Arrays, Mass Drivers, anti-matter torpedoes are only a few of the names of these ship-destroying armament whom are so potent that they can also deal devastating harm to planetary bodies.

Anti-Capital weapons can obliterate most mecha-grade targets almost as an afterthought. Starships on the business end of these weapons may quickly fall prey to crippling damage. Not even capital vessels can easily ride out such attacks, as they potent enough to crack through their strong defenses and gut them open to the coldness of space.

...and this should pretty much be the strongest weaponry we have in our setting.

To give you guys an idea of potential application of the above elements...

A Plumeria gunship could have an Anti-capital weapon with its aether shock cannon. Both its railguns would be anti-starship weapons. Most of its turrets would be anti-mecha and anti-armor in potency.

On to defenses.

I broached body armor earlier, and mention how they could be treated as the ability to survive a lethal attack such a person would usually not have survived.

Power Armor and Mecha shielding would work more or less the same, effectively being temporary depletable plotshields. For example, the M6 Daisy power armor is a armor-grade target, with an energy barrier or according strength.

That barrier is made to protect it from anti-armor attacks, but it wouldn't be always active, but rather on 'hot-standby' when in combat conditions. Because the Daisy has an AIES quantum computer, it has pretty advanced predictive software... so whenever the power armor gets fired, at, it 'braces' for the attack and activates the barrier.

Given how the power armor has light and highly minaturized gear, there could be a limited amount of power reserves actually available to afford having the barrier active like that. Energy use also has ties with the strength of said barrier: the AIES is decidedly not going to have to use as much power against small arms fire as it would need to use to stop an anti-armor railgun.

Because were dealing with a power armor's barrier generator, there's only so much the barrier generator could do when struck with an anti-mecha tier attack, so its more than likely that the damage will not only deplete the available barrier power, but also still seep through and cause damage to the armor itself.

So, with the above set of conditions established, we could get the following results:
Smallarms vs. barrier = barrier weakened
Smallarms vs. weak barrier = barrier depleted
Smallarms vs armor = armor damaged
Smallarms vs. damaged armor = armor breached, pilot wounded
Smallarms vs. damaged/wounded location = crippling wounds, possible lethality.

In this case, the use of an anti-armor weapon would be doubly worse.
Railgun vs. barrier = barrier depleted
Railgun vs. weak barrier = barrier depleted, armor damaged
Railgun vs armor = armor breached, pilot wounded.
Railgun vs. damaged armor = crippling wounds, possible lethality.

In this light, anti-personnel weapons become a much larger staple of power armor combat, as they are indeed useful. Anti-armor weaponry in itself would be very deadly to power armor and maintaining a healthy barrier (with a physical obstacle like the elliptoid shield on hand) becomes pivotal.

I could easily convert the above into somesort of hit point system, sure, but that's not the objective. Setting expectations is much more important than number crunching here, I feel, and that's what I believe we should try and promote.

I won't cover the armor to mecha comparison and the mecha to starship comparison because they'll probably look mostly the same on the level of progression. I did want to bring up starship/capital ship protections as those could work somewhat differently.

In an early discussion, be established some changed to the way propulsion was going to work. We'd have normal sublight thrust for near-planet navigation, limited sublight/lightspeed travel for in-system locomotion, and then superluminal speeds provided by hyperspace-style propulsion.

In that discussion, I proposed that each propulsion means also be tied to a certain defense type, perhaps as a sort of tie in as to why ships could not afford superluminal combat, or simply to imply the costs of greater resources during starship combat.

Electro-magnetic fields, mostly conformal around a ship, would be propulsion independent and serve as hazard shielding as well as polarize the armored hull of a ship to allow it to sustain more punishment/diffuse incoming directed energy impacts. This sort of technology actually exists today with ceramic armor - so far, in SARP, energized/forcefield-nested armor is likely the present equivalent.

Gravimetric Drives allows a ship to proceed to relativistic speeds and cheat inertia/acceleration under normal circumstances. Weak fields can also be generated fore of the ship to help deflect spacedust/micrometerorites when navigating. In combat circumstances, most of the available output of the gravimetric drives would be set on hot-standby, much like my above example with the Daisy's barrier (similar tech?) in order to mitigate incoming attacks. Beams would be diffused, striking the hull armor for less damage. Missiles would prematurely impact, and thier explosion would cause less damage to the hull, and projectiles fired by railguns would be stopped or deflected.

Fold drives would be tied to distortion shields when in combat and not preparing for a fold jump. Distortion shields would bend space and be the primary IC reason why battles needs to be done at closer distances than 3 light seconds, since a quantum computer would have the time to have the distortion barrier adjusted to bend and veer off an incoming attack. The closer the attacker, the more likely the attack will not be adjusted in time to avoid it hitting the target.

Ideally, all of the above protections could be, like the Daisy barrier example, on hot standby, with limited capacity to use them within a certain timeframe. Starship combat could be less about piling up successive damage directly on a ship target and more about defeating those layered defenses (it'd make sense, figuring how much starship weapons are supposed to be destructive on planets, asteroids and such).

Furthermore, to spice things up there are several weapon types which could be quite effective against certain defenses and less so against others, in a kind of rock-paper-scissors relationship. In this case, we have shield, barrier and energized armor as our defense values.

Examples:
  • a guided torpedo will not be diverted away by a distortion shield. Contact with the gravimetric barrier will likely cause it to explode. Some part of that explosion will reach the hull and possibly soften it up.
  • a guided torpedo with a gravimetric warhead (modern single-target subspace detonator-equivalent) could be a warhead designed to strike against a gravimetric shield and temporarily cancel it out.
  • a ship devoid of gravimetric barrier is vulnerable to 'tractor beams'-style equipment, thus being less mobile and easier to hit.
  • railguns can be deflected away by the vector control of distortion fields and easily deflected away by gravimetric barriers, but if they directly connect against armor, they can prove devastating (especially considering they often carry anti-matter ordonnance). Extra punch can likely be justified on the finite ammunition (something SARP in the future wants to make a concern of).
  • torpedo warheads, similarily to railgun projectiles, are also very powerful when striking directly against the hull. They are, however, still vulnerable to point-defenses to make up for their extra versatility.
  • aether weapons are touted to be able to pierce through distortion shielding, but this is never represented. Under these guidelines, aether beams become very potent for their ability to ignore a distortion shield's bending effect, ensuring more precise long-range attacks.

I also think each respective defense system could have alternate features which would add to their gadgetry and offer useful alternatives to science officers. A few examples could include:

• Scalar Shockwave: Star Army ship shielding is supposed to have a scalar boundary which is in turn supposed to prematurely blow up incoming missiles. That never seems to happen, though, on the excuse that the torpedoes are shielded anyways. So, I figured a nice gimmick could be to voluntarily deplete the distortion shield in order to create a wide spherical shockwave that would have all incoming warheads prematurely blow up.
  • Gravity Quake: Similar idea - expend the gravimetric shield in order to smash/repulse/knock away a nearby (likely approaching) space object. Might even hinder the FTL abilities of nearby ships (it might be a costly substitute to a graviton beam).

I look above, and I see a lot of text and ideas which may look overwhelming (holy wall of text, Batman!). I'll stop here. I'll just reiterate in parting that the point is more to set guidelines and conditions rather than focus on number crunching. This is new, and I could understand the conservatives balking, but at this point I'm starting to feel it's very important to eliminate as much number crunching as possible. Denoting possibilities, options and expected consequences is likely something that has a much stronger place in a freeform roleplay such as ours is meant to be.

I don't disagree with anything Fred's said. I like it, actually. It puts combat back into narration instead of calculators.

That said ... It'll just frustrate the calculators. Or I feel like it would, since now there would be nothing hard and fast they could reach for.

This also makes PvP that much more of a collaborative effort, which I'm all for.

Would starfighters end up in the Mecha scale? It seems like they would, but it isn't explicit.

If I can sum up the scale:

We got Priss, Priss-in-hardsuit, Priss-in-motoslave ... Priss in a badass starship, and Priss as commander of a big flagship (PSS Hurricane).

Gentlemen: It's the Priss Scale.

I have many many multiple agreements with you, Fred. This is, essentially, how I GM stuff anyway, being one of the few GM's I know of that uses the current DR scale as a guideline, since I feel it to be incomplete anyway.

I heartily agree with what I've read, which is about half of this. Perhaps later I'll read the rest, it is quite a lot of writing, but so far it's been somewhat refreshing and rewarding to read.

I have to agree with you as well Fred; everything you have said fits into what I have imagined Star Army to be (or should be). Frankly, I can't find one single flaw in your argument and vehemently agree to this as well. It adds on much more color and complexity to combat in Star Army, and not in a bad way either. The Priss Scale...it sounds perfect.

I agree completely, actually. I've always thought how HP and the DR system was put together didn't quite function. I first came to this conclusion when I tried to run full 3v2 combat in FR following DR exactly and, after about 6 or 7 rounds of combat, my 3 recruits has only killed 1 enemy and damaged the other (keep in mind, this was with me adding extra damage to my player's attacks). My problem with the DR system, which you very nicely detailed, is that in clean 1v1 combat against PAs, it seriously takes 5 or 6 hits just to get through the shields, and about 10 hits to destroy the enemy completely, which is ridiculous. Currently, armor is way too high, and shields go right with it, and it annoys me to no end.

Basically, how I look at this from a math POV, is that everything will essentially have 5HP, (full barrier at 5hp, armor breach at 1hp, kaboom at 0) and a hit from a weapon in equivalent tier does 1 damage. There would be four tiers of weaponry and armor (1 is armor, 4 is capital ships, I left out personnel because they wouldn't have armor or barriers, which is what is detailed in Fred's ideas, and are assumed dead or close from a direct hit). Every attack doubles for every tier weaker your defender is, and halves as you attack stronger tiers. All attacks would essentially fit into a simple equation of DMG=2^(ATK-DEF) assuming that weapons cannot damage something of a higher tier. It's the same as what Fred has, just mapped out with a mathematical equation. So, if an armor (tier 1) attacks another armor, the damage is 1 (2^(1-1)). If an anti-mecha (tier 2) hits an armor, the damage would be 2 (2^(2-1)). Anti-starship (tier 3) would deal 4 damage to armor (2^(3-1)), and capital ships would do 8 damage, obliterating it's target, and having residue energy. On the same hand, this means that a smaller target such as a fighter (tier 2) could still do damage to a starship (tier 3), but at a much weaker rate of .5 damage per shot, or 2 hits to do damage.

Basically, I'm trying to take what Fred has, leave it exactly the same, and just translate it into mathematics.

I agree. I ran the armor simulation for the same class, and based on the statistics, it took one hell of a lot more fire from 5 armors to kill even one then makes sense. This seems like it would make things much more realistic, and fair, if nothing else.

Regardless of how much number crunching may be the thing for some people, I don't think it should play such a heavy role in a forum RP site. Maybe for a PnP like Wes has been trying to get together, but not forum, where your writing should play more of a role.

Long story short, since I don't want to get too long, I think this would be a huge improvement.

Electro-magnetic fields, mostly conformal around a ship, would be propulsion independent and serve as hazard shielding as well as polarize the armored hull of a ship to allow it to sustain more punishment/diffuse incoming directed energy impacts. This sort of technology actually exists today with ceramic armor - so far, in SARP, energized/forcefield-nested armor is likely the present equivalent.

Well If we’re going to talk about realistic then electromagnetic fields around a ship would only serve to dud un-hardened electronics and dissipate plasma. The IRL equivalent would be energized armor which requires the armor itself to actually sustain damage before it can work.

There is also the issue of how a ‘hard’ shield would just transfer the entire force of the impact to the shield generator.

Gravimetric Drives allows a ship to proceed to relativistic speeds and cheat inertia/acceleration under normal circumstances.

These drives are also disabled by interdiction, so they won’t be used in combat once ships have begun trading blows. Even in your example it would be easier to just FTL out of the way of the attack.

As for dodging and quantum computers, there is no time to dodge a laser weapon because as soon as the ship it is being fired at knows it is being fired, the laser has arrived. The same thing is mostly true for near c railguns. Sense light is still going to bounce off the hull of the ship with the distortion field and be seen by the other ship, at most what a distortion field will do effectively make the other ship further away. Consider it more like a 40k style range modifier.

aether weapons are touted to be able to pierce through distortion shielding, but this is never represented. Under these guidelines, aether beams become very potent for their ability to ignore a distortion shield's bending effect, ensuring more precise long-range attacks.

Aether is a place, an aether generator pulls energy from Aether. A weapon that fires an Aether energy beam is going to either be a plasma cannon, laser, or something similar. There is no reason why a weapon getting its energy from the aether should be any more potent than the same weapon getting its power from somewhere else.

Scalar Shockwave:
That’s because most weapons have some sort of anti-gravity field to protect them from Scalar weapons. Even though ‘scalar’ has gotten to a pretty good level of usability in sarp (It is well defined, we know how it works, for the most part people aren’t using it to break the laws of physics) it is still something entirely made up. Wes took the idea from a crackpot conspiracy theory website back in the day and I’d rather see Scalar systems removed from the setting or at least not expanded upon.

As for the gravity quake, consider that to push outward against incoming objects you would need to meet them with about the same force. In order to push away objects that are going to hit you, you would need to absorb the kinetic energy they have (which is how they are going to be dealing damage to your ship in the first place). To do the same thing with gravity you’ll need exponentially more energy (gravity strength drops off at the square of the distance). To do it in a sphere you’d also be catching every object that is coming your way. This move sounds like it would crush the ship just as much as it would stop projectiles.

Let science officers do science… that is what they are supposed to be doing anyways.

---

The thing that really confuses me is that people don’t seem to understand this system. The Damage scales from 1-4 with a x2 multiplier each time (So its really like 1, 2, 4, 8 ) and there are 56 levels of damage an object can sustain. This is very similar to the current DR system except with less options for weapons and an enforced lethality system. The final system, detailed enough to be used in RP, is going to have a lot of number crunching going on even if you aren’t calling them numbers.

For ship weapons I’m ok with that, after all at the levels of energy being thrown all space weapons should pretty much be the same. However there are already people complaining that they don’t have enough options with the current DR system and this would further reduce those options. This also means that the Aether Shock Cannon will only wound (not crippling wounds) a power armor pilot and just barely be able to kill a person outright. On the flip side if you glue together eight pistols you have a weapon capable of hurting starships. This effectively makes the strongest weapons in the setting just as good as some of the weakest weapons and blands out a lot of weapon types in SARP like the DR 1 ‘personal scale weapon with an anti-armor round’.

And for defenses, the current DR system already has this. It is something ‘left to the GMs’ which they usually ignore in favor of treating the DR system like hit points in DnD (A good example of why hard rules are better than no rules). This part is the improvement over the old system because it effectively takes out a player’s wiggle room when it comes to soaking up damage. However it also makes all shields the same across all ships, battleship shields are just as good as escort shields.

So the question everyone should be asking themselves is can we do the same thing with the system we already have? It would be easy to implement a fraction based system and look up table for DR vs Damage taken. 1- 4/5s of total available DR the ship is fine, 4/5-3/5s of total available DR The ship has taken light damage, 3/5-2/5s of total available DR The ship looses life support, the internals get damaged, what have you all the way down to 0 where the ship is reduced to dust. If you really wanted to you could even let players decided at which point their ship goes down a level. A battleship could have 50-30, 30-20, 20-10, 10-0 as its damage brackets, with the first bracket representing available armor. The system could even just be how much of the total DR available is armor if you want to make it super simple.

In the end though, I think it would be far better to use the system we already have and just to bump up its lethality by describing what happens as DR is lost.

What's important to understand is that one issue this is supposed to facilitate is book-keeping.

As a GM, I'm personally more interested in determining the state of something when it's active, damaged and nonfunctional. Smallarms on a Daisy barrier would damage it, but it would hold. An armor location struck would get damaged, if damaged again it'd deteriorate to breached with the pilot taking wounds (and auto-repair functions being engaged after that).

It'd be easier to keep track of, especially when dealing with groups of player. Right now, in Miharu, I have to cater to 8 different player characters and pay attention to the presence of every one of them. I see a use for streamlining things like this.

Mathematically, I wasn't complicating this overmuch. Stuff on the same scale would have damage states vary in definite increments, lower units less so, higher grade elements more so. The mind intuitively understands that a guy hit with a power armor railgun will 'take it worse' and that's what I'm presently betting on. Intuitiveness and ease of use. I don't want tables to be foremost in the mind of people when dealing with this: I want evocative imagery instead... because the DR system was always about 'what to expect' of elements in our setting.

Uso raised some points, I'll also attend to them.

EM/energized armor still sounds like it could work given how we've been using it in the setting. It's probably a shift in a more tangible direction too, given how some ceramic armor really does get tougher in conceptual science.

Hard constant shields don't in themselves exist in this proposal. The spontaneous and brief existence of protection that can be generated sparingly is. Predictive software makes them ready for use when attack is very likely to happen - we're not talking about dodging, we're talking about integrating prediction/WARMS-like elements in ways useful while not overpowered.

The rules for propulsion and space warfare also changed. There is no longer such a thing as interdiction, remember?

Aether weaponry is under the jurisdiction of Wes. I'm fine with whatever he chooses to go with, but it's been written thus far that they've ease in piercing distortion shielding. If Wes wants it that way, it can be gainfully represented.

As for science things, those were options. Ideas. Food for thought. Inspiration can come up for players just as well if they have examples of use. The point is giving more apparent interaction and tool interactivity out of the things we offer to our playerbase.

The rules for propulsion and space warfare also changed. There is no longer such a thing as interdiction, remember?

Neg sir. Not only are the rules still the same as they were (if you look, we are still using the old rules according to the wiki) but there was interdiction present in some form in virtually all forms of the proposed rules.

I also don't see how this changes the level of complication in the system or how it would make it easier to track. Slightly different numbers and some modifiers are used but it is essentially the same thing. After all calling 3 'damage' and 4 'heavy damage' doesn't change that this is still a numbers based system. Writing down 'damaged' somewhere is just as easy as writing down 5/10. That kind of change is one that is easy to implement in the current system too if we added some sort of enforced lethality for DR depletion.

There is also the issue of if shields are now warms dependent, the only factions that will have shields are factions with WARMs level hypertech. (Note: Warms was something that was originally rejected for being too powerful and that was back in the day when planet busting teleportation guns were considered ok.)

Lo and behold, 2011 Setting Revisions:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5825

Using WARMS was also just a way of explaining it. Truth is, quantum computers are already pretty capable of predicting attacks. WARMS, in our present setting, has actually grown mostly redundant.

Heck, you may not have noticed... but aren't I trying to grant you your pound of flesh already by trying to make shields the way you claim they should be? Actual energy barriers that get depleted by enemy fire would turn up being a thing of the past as defense fields can't actually be damaged.

Also, more importantly, most GMs apparently don't want to write down stats. They don't want to squiggle "Tom's Daisy: 4/8". They want to write a description that will be self-explanatory along with the established expectations of players. That's the whole point: giving power back to the narrative, since we're firstly a roleplay community.

In addition, consider that many people have felt hobbled by the DR system I introduced, and your SP ship building system. I'm not exactly sure I understand why, but they feel this stiffles their creativity. DR being interpreted this way could possibly be one way of trying to keep things cohesive, set expectations and yet grant designers the 'feeling' that nothing really stands in the way of their creativity as long as they stick to context.

I'm totally willing to try and go along with tweaks that would offer better portrayal and depictions of the things we have in our setting, Uso, but I'm not getting in any circuitous "I'm right and you're all wrong" arguments with you. When so many people above go and actually express that they find something wrong that something is probably wrong even if I myself should perhaps given them the benefit of the doubt. If many people feel this is better, maybe you ought to do the same, especially considering our need to also serve the 'lowest common denominator' (no offense meant).

The 2011 setting revisions aren't listed anywhere on the wiki, sense they are confined to that one thread and the rules listed on the wiki are considered cannon, the revisions haven't been implemented and I had assumed were dropped entirely sense no effort had been made to apply them.

Quantum computers would also be limited to working in real time, meaning they wouldn't be able to predict when a laser or near c projectile was going to hit the ship. Faster and more capable processing does not translate into being able to see the future.

I also don't think you understand that this is still a number system. Writing down 4/8ths is the same thing as writing down 'damaged'. The only difference is you are applying a concrete wording to the DR level instead of leaving it up to the GM like in the previous system. Making a change like that to the current system would easily be doable and not wipe out the system that we already have (and introduce a new one with all new exploits and flaws).

As for why people feel constrained by the systems we have consider this: Before we had the DR system weapons were as powerful as you could describe them, which led to all kinds of ridiculous gear that tore holes in reality when fired. Limiting things with the DR system took that away because weapons were only as powerful as their rating meaning the best weapon submission now is one that actually has some quality to it. The DR system for starships did something similar, scaling starships to what was appropriate for the setting. Also if you want to look at what the stat tables have done, consider the submissions that have been rejected because they didn't fit on the stat tables. It evens the playing field and gives the mods a tool for saying 'yes this is overpowered and here is why' instead of having them just say it feels overpowered but then having to approve the submission anyways. From what I've seen people are complaining they don't have enough options, not that there are too many, which is something this system does not address.

Consider that if people are blindly saying something is good that they don't understand the flaws in it. Most don't even seem to grasp that it is still a numbers based system so I am definitely skeptical at their assessments.

Weather forecasts predicting rain might not be always correct, but when they warn me, I get to bring an umbrella. Same difference here. If you see a ship coming about to aim its main cannons at you, and that your sensors record energy spikes, positive target solutions (because you can reverse calculate those even if you're the defender) then... yes, you can predict an incoming attack and shore up your defenses for such an opportunity.

...and yup, this does make sensors important to ably defending too. A blindsided ship expecting attack will have some hard choices to make about when it expends its defensive resources.

But you were talking about a system that would only turn on when an attack was imminent.

Sense you can't know when the laser has been fired until it hits, all you will know from your data is that the other ship is there and is going to attack you. You would then have to leave your shields up all the time.

You don't even need a computer for that.

*sigh* You're just being obstute now.

I'm not going to repeat myself over and over like you do, Uso. Either you have something to contribute to the conversation, or not.

By this point, I'd also really like to see input from Nashoba and Wes.

The Structure of a Strawman Fallacy said:
Idea A is the original idea.
Idea B is Idea A with various details and the context removed, or otherwise misinterpreted.

Person 1: I suggest A because A solves certain issues caused by solutions we've devised before idea A. I think most of us can agree in some capacity that A is worth discussion.
Person 2: B isn't that great and opens up all sorts of problems. I think that introducing B will just cause more problems and that the problems we had before B don't really exist.
Problem with Person 2: His argument falls flat because his argument attacks a distorted version of the original idea, and does not constitute a real argument again Idea A.

That's nice and all, Exhack... but when you came around to post in here what I really hoped to see was your views on the proposal itself. Our exchange on IRC signified that you indeed had an opinion. Would you please share it here with the rest of us?

Uso said:
For ship weapons I’m ok with that, after all at the levels of energy being thrown all space weapons should pretty much be the same. However there are already people complaining that they don’t have enough options with the current DR system and this would further reduce those options. This also means that the Aether Shock Cannon will only wound (not crippling wounds) a power armor pilot and just barely be able to kill a person outright. On the flip side if you glue together eight pistols you have a weapon capable of hurting starships. This effectively makes the strongest weapons in the setting just as good as some of the weakest weapons and blands out a lot of weapon types in SARP like the DR 1 ‘personal scale weapon with an anti-armor round’.

For once Uso, I agree with you. I think the problem that you outline is brought about one problem, which is that there is no possible way to classify all types of weapons in SARP into linear and even categories. The damage gap between personnel weapons and armor is huge. If you compare it to IRL tech you'll see what I mean. Personal arms can be incredibly weak because all you need is a decent velocity and the enemy is dead, they are meant to go through soft flesh and hit soft organs. Now move on to 3-4 inch thick armored steel, where you need an even higher velocity, piercing rounds, more durable rounds to survive the impact, there's a significant difference. Also, there is an even bigger gap between mecha and starships. I'm sorry, but a vehicle the size of my house can't be directly compared to a vehicle the size of my subdivision. When I picture in my head SARP fighters attacking a starship, I seriously envision needing at least two dozen fighters to get the job done. Even with bombers, I envision you needing at least a dozen, just cus that starship would have more turrets than you do bombers. In order to fix this problem, you would have to define unique damage gaps between each tier of weaponry.

One more thing, which I've always wondered about. I was always under the impression that shields were meant to block energy from coming through them, but objects could pass through them without problem (because they're shields, not force fields, which I define to be immensely different). So in this case, wouldn't bombs, as we know them today, have the ability to penetrate shields, and do damage directly to the armor? I realize that SARP shields probably just deflect solid objects as well as energy, but I just wanted to double check.

Honestly, the less number use in general, the better to me. I like Fred's proposal mainly because I can visualize it better than any numerical values tossed out there. One of the main reasons I avoid pvp and game mastering altogether is that every time I think about the inevitable combat encounters I would have to run, I keep imagining playing a tabletop rpg or a video game instead of a free form writing community which also happens to have rpg elements within it.

Having to list fractions or jot down numbers is a detached, lifeless experience for me, and it robs the power of good narrative to bring the setting to life.

I like the simplicity of this proposal.

Uso said:
Consider that if people are blindly saying something is good that they don't understand the flaws in it. Most don't even seem to grasp that it is still a numbers based system so I am definitely skeptical at their assessments.
I understand the system and I like it. Fewer numbers that I have to math up, more words. What more do I have to understand?

I can understand what you are trying to achieve, but I really dislike the idea of having a single category for each class of weapons.

Anti-Armor Grade:
These weapons - going from grenades, rockets, railguns and direct energy weaponry - are most often fatal to soft targets. They are principally made to eliminate power armored targets.

So with this proposal, every power armor weapon is going to be Anti-Armor grade and everyone will presume their weapon has the max power of it.

Let alone the fact that you are now adding a new class of damage for Mecha the same thing will happen.

I would prefer that there be some sort of delineation.
Light Armor - Medium Armor - Heavy Armor

But that's my two cents worth.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back