• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

RP: 188604 From Rags to Riches...

M

Miyamoto Musashi

The freighter slowly began the docking procedures at the planet 188604, and from the windows of the bridge the Navigation Officer gazed idly down at the docks and the world. Conquered by a band of power armour wielding maniacs, who butchered musket wielding natives. It was an interesting tale, certainly, though it had meant little to him at the time.

Now, however, it meant a great deal to him. Penniless, cast out and without a career, Miyamoto Musashi now had nothing but a sliver of hope. He had qualifications, he knew, but there were few now who would consider employing a drunkard thrown out of the Star Army - in Yamatai anyway, but who wanted work in Neplessia or with a bunch of half bird morons from Elysia?

Thus the frontier was the way forwards, and Miyamoto had managed to pay his way from Yamatai by taking the post of a retired navigation officer on a 188604 bound freighter.

With the ship docked, Musashi stepped out onto the deck of the port. Dressed in a battered brown three piece suit, with a shirt that was so discoloured it was turning yellow and a red tie, with battered and old leather shoes. Over the top of it all, Musashi wore a long woolen overcoat, ragged and stained. Doubtlessly, it was once a stunning outfit, but now it was the mark of a man with nothing left to his name.

He strolled along, briefcase in one hand and suitcase in the other, idly looking about him as he walked. After near an hour of pointless strolling, Musashi finally stopped by an officer of the Buttonless Brigade and asked for directions to the headquarters of the "government" of this little rock.

The policeman gave the poorly dressed ragamuffin directions and sent him on his way. After some more walking - during which the battered old shoes let in water, leaving Miyamoto's feet soaking - the engineer arrived at his destination, and promptly entered the building.

Strolling up to the front desk, he set his two bags down at his feet and addressed the Secretary. "I want to request an appointment with the local Tyrant - Uso, I believe he's called - if you please."

Miyamoto would find the 'seat' of USO's government was more or less Nath tower. Mostly because it was the only major tower on the planet, visible from anywhere in the city, and somewhat filled with people who were working on stuff for Uso herself. Uso even sometimes stopped by.

Certainly compared to the governmental buildings before Uso arrived it was a palace.

There was no receptionist, but Vier did happen to be standing behind the front desk.

Vier also looked somewhat surprised.

The woman infront of Miyamoto Musashi could best be described as a muted grey. Her hair was black, eyes grey, skin fair, if it wasn't for the subtle desaturated green on her shirt and pants, and the pale pink of her lips, she'd be entirely colorless.

Of course, while the shirt and pants were fairly simple, it was clear they had some level of engineering involved in them, upon closer inspection, electronics and temperature regulation material was built in. Much like Vier herself there was more going on than just what the first impression would give away.

"I can arrange that for you. What is the reason for your arrival?" She asked. "And for the choice of clothing. I can provide new clothing for you. Normally such offers are for the local population, however I see no reason why it could not be extended to yourself."

Miyamoto looked at her with mild surprise, he hadn't even considered that his clothes were ragged and mostly ruined. They were the best he had, after all.

"I'm looking for work, it's somewhat commonplace to wear formal clothing when looking for work."

He trailed off, perhaps understanding that she meant the state of his clothes, rather than his choice.

By this stage, he hadn't had a drink in nearly twenty four hours and he had a look as grey as Vier, not to mention a pounding headache.

Vier would nod,

"And what are your qualifications? I am certain I can assist with pointing you in the right direction once I have a better understanding of who you are."

She would end up looking into his eyes for a few moments, discreetly checking his vitals.

No doubt Vier would find his vitals far from healthy, and it was obvious just how things this man was as he rummaged about in his brief case, depositing various papers and diagrams until he found what he was looking for.

"I have a PhD in Physics and a plethora of other degrees and awards in a range of subjects from engineering and mathematics to explosives, ballistics. Things like that."

Then, almost as an after thought.

"Oh, and I was also an officer in the Star Army. Taii, to be precise."

"A green-shirt then?"

The science-officer track tended to be the fast-track to becoming an officer in the SAoY if you didn't share a last name or bed with Yui herself. There was still the question of what would be the best use of an Ex-SAoY scientist.

"And what interests you?" Vier asked. The question was simple, but really all that they needed to know.

"Ships mainly.."

Miyamoto was desperate for a drink by now, and he was getting twitchy.

"Ship design, designing shipboard weaponry and systems - though it would be fun to build other equipment?"

For a second, Musashi looked as if he'd just changed his mind and decided he wanted to do something else. He didn't, instead he watched Vier with dull, bleary eyes and a pounding headache.

"NEW BLOOD!?" Uso called out from the doorway, a group of soldiers in black digital cammo were dragging someone in a hood through the lobby and towards the lift.

Vier frowned a bit,

"Yes Uso. Former SAoY Scientist with an intrest in starships."

"Cool. What's up with his clothing?"

"I offered to..."

"Yeah nevermind. You do starships? I need a dude to handle handing out ship production time between my other dudes. You up for it? Do well and I'll get you... uh, well new clothing, maybe a cupon for Akemi's.... normal pay, you know, whatever."

Uso was most certainly a she, something Vier had not bothered to correct when Miyamoto originally asked. The woman having slipped into the usual blue bodysuit with a pistol and datapad clipped to either side of her waist, Her green hair pulled back into a ponytail, heart shaped bangs framing her head, purple eyes only giving Miyamoto the briefest of looks.

"Work is work..."

He intoned somewhat haltingly, still wondering what was wrong with his suit.

"And I am very short on it,at the moment."

He showed no signs of being shocked by Uso's gender. It had been a foolish mistake, he had known she was a Neko, and he knew all Nekos were female.

"I have been put through officer's training as well, mind. I could probably command a starship or something, if that helps to improve my salary."

Perhaps it was a joke, but it was delivered in such a flat, dead pan tone that he could be being serious. It was difficult to tell.

“You look like you can barely command a wardrobe,” Uso responded, getting into the lift on the other side of the lobby, “you also suck at going with the flow.”

The lift was already closing it’s doors as Vier responded,

“It would be helpful to show a side other than desperation in your job search. What were the grounds for leaving the SAoY?”

Last edited:
There was a spark of irritation as Miyamoto responded somewhat waspily.

"There isn't a company in the universe that wouldn't take me in with my qualifications - my issues lie in location."

Musashi seemed to calm down then, the irritation being replaced by the dead look as quickly as it has come.

"Poor conduct, apparently, and debt. Debt with the wrong people, of course, barring me from ever reenterring the Star Empire or other, civilised regions."

"Some people would consider that a plus," Vier responded, "Uso values loyalty, or failing that: desperation. People with limited options tend to make for trustworthy hires... however I think you should go speak with her."

Vier would point over to the lifts, another one of the doors opening up,

"Just head up to the Penthouse."

---

Up at the top of the Tower, Uso's men were taking their new prisoner into the back to start the interrogation process while she headed towards the balcony,

"Vier, What the fuck?! I thought you were sending up that new hire guy?"

"You haven't hired him yet," Vier responded, "He just showed up,"

"Yeah, ok, when you're done playing middle manager get him some new clothes. Send up uhhh... something in our colors? Do we have colors? Blue is a good color. Dark blue. Try that...."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back