• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Approved Submission [Galactic Horizon] Albatross Anti Starship Laser Array, AASLA

SirSkully

🦊 FM of Neshaten
🦾 FM of Nepleslia
🎖️ Game Master
Submission Type: Weapon
Template Used: Weapons Template
Submission WIP URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?...-v2-w4002_albatross_anti_starship_laser_array
Submission Destination URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?...-v2-w4002_albatross_anti_starship_laser_array

Faction:
FM Approved Yet? yes @club24
Faction requires art? no, might get some in the future, might scab a DOGA model off of somebody on discord

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? Yes but they are just examples of things that the weapon is mounted to, not super related to the function of the weapon as it is.
Contains New art? Nope
Previously Submitted? Nuh-uh

Notes: I've never made a starship weapon before so I may have missed something but here it is

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
ye, weapon concept approved, but I ain't good with weapons either so I got no idea how it plays out either.

The first thing I've noticed is that there are two links to unapproved articles. The submission cannot be approved with those references until they too are approved.

Since this is a continuously firing weapon that can fire for up to 10 seconds I need to ask whether the Tier 10 damage is caused by the full 10 second burn, momentary contact, or something in between. Can you clarify, please?

Removed the reference of the unapproved things (because then they'd be relying on each other to be approved and it'd just be an endless loop so thanks) but do you mind pointing me to some other beam weaponry so that I can see how they've handled damage? I guess I kinda assumed it would be a constant tier 10 thing but I want to see how others have done it.

i think rizzo's example of needing the full 10 seconds to do the full damage would work well to prevent it being overpowered or anything and provides a hard number to assign the damage to, then it also leaves the option open in RP if the beam missed for part of it the other ship may survive sorta thing

https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=corp:fscorp:products:rotary_pulse_laser_battery#damage
So this is how I did it, albeit my weapon is meant for Point defense and is not specifically an offencive weapon however it is used for delivering damage over time.
To summarize its operation when all of the gunfire is focused on to a small spot rather than trying to calculate the tier 3 damage at 133 rounds per second it is simply tier 9 per second of stained contact, tier 10 if there are no Shields.

A full 10 seconds burn with this concept would deal tier 10 damage 10 times from your weapon which might be just a little bit Overkill. Perhaps it was limited to a five-second run time with a 5 Second cool down that might do better but at the same time having a 2 second cool down after a 10-second run time is a pretty good trade-off as well. If PVP were to occur that would be like having 2 posts of firing followed by 3 post of inactivity whereas 5 seconds on, 5 Seconds off would be more like being able to fire in one post, cool down in another post and then fire in the third post. These are just things to think about determining the timing of the weapon. It also makes a difference in how the weapon is portrayed in character.

so I went with the five seconds on, five seconds off and from what you've said that equates to it dealing five tier 10 hits over five seconds (one for each second) correct?

Since we currently have no better system, I like it. Just keep in mind that we might need to revisit this later if there is an update to the ruleset. I'm going to give it one more look over do a checklist

This review is for: AASLA

The submitted article is/has…
[ ✔] A very high level of overall quality
[✔ ] A general topic sentence under the title header
[✔ ] Artwork (Required for new species; Strongly recommended for vehicles and hand weapons)\\
[ ✔] Needed and/or useful to the setting
[ ✔] In the proper format/template
[✔ ] Proofread for spelling and grammar
[✔ ] Easy to read and understand (not a lengthy mass of technobabble)
[✔ ] Wikified (terms that could be a link should be a link)
[✔ ] No red and/or broken links
[✔ ] Reasonably scientifically plausible
[✔ ] Reasonably neutral point of view

The submitted article is/does not…
[✔ ] Overpowered (or cutting tech for a faction with little or no roleplay)
[ ✔] Obtusely redundant
[✔ ] Contain copy pasta descriptions of systems or interior compartments
[✔ ] Unauthorized by faction managers or player-controlled corporation
[✔ ] Contain references to IC events that have not occurred (SM must authorize retcons)
[✔ ] Use second-person language (“you” or “your”) unless it is an instructional guide aimed at players.
[✔ ] Use bombastic language (“virtually immune,” “nearly indestructible,” “insanely powerful,” “horrible effects”)
[✔ ] Use an unbalanced header/text ratio (many headers but sections are one-liners)
[ ✔] Use major unapproved sub-articles that should be submitted separately
[ ✔] Lacking Detail
[✔ ] Images hosted on sites other than stararmy.com (Photobucket, Imageshack, etc are not allowed)

The article has…
[ ✔] Speeds in compliance with the Starship Speed Standard, if applicable
[ ✔] Damage Capacity and Damage Ratings in compliance with the DR Guidelines
[✔ ] The in-character year of creation/manufacture. (Should be current year. Future years not allowed).
[ ✔] The Standard Product Nomenclature System, if applicable.

Summary
** I would like to see a price provided, I recommend around the 30 to 40 thousand KS range but from a technology standpoint this weapon has no issues with the setting.

It does say 15 000ks on there at the moment actually, but if you think it should be higher ok then. I am guessing akully made kt 15k based on what we keep hearing about starship tech supposed to be really cheap

I’d check what other companies charge for comparable weapons to be honest, but that’s just me.

The Heavy Laser Turret from origin costs less, fires more often and does more damage, so maybe a price of like 5000, which is 3000 below the HLT to account for performance difference, is acceptable.

It’d still be more expensive than a Geshrinari Shipyards anti starship turret, which it performs better than.

It's your choice, whatever you want to sell it for is okay me. I just didn't see a price at all, I might have missed it.

Yeah not trying to derail the thread too much but i find it strange that weapons are so cheap, i mean sure they are easy to produce in this setting but they loose some of their unspoken fear factor when they're cheap to me and i guess when you know that a missile in the real world costs as much as a cruiser in sarp it can be a little annoying but it seems to just be me from when i was asking around a couple months back XD

So after looking at other, similar laser weapons on the wiki I found out this was way bigger than it needs to be and as such halved the size of it, just letting peeps know.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back