• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Gas Mask

Why two filters? Is that sound design?

Well the M17A1 Series Gasmask that I used in the AF had two internal filters. But the new series had one external filter

The thinking is that with two filters, you can be replace one while still using the gas mask.

I have no major objection with the design, but changing the filters in a contaminated atmosphere is not a good idea.

You are basically saying that in say a toxic environment, you are going to remove a filter, so now the inside of the mask connector is now contaminated, along with the inner seal.

Then you are going to tak a filer out of its sealed package, now contaminating the entire surface of it with the toxic elemens, and connecting it into the mask recepticle.

You have just created two points of contamination, that will compromise the user.

Two bits of information:

A nice bit of detail to have would be, what is the life of the filters. How long after being installed into a mask do they need to be inspected, and how long are they effective when in use?

And what kind of threats does it protect against? Nuclear, Biological, or Chemical?

And this only protects really against inhaled toxins as there is no protection for the rest of the head or body.

See this image for an example, so I presume an additional submission will cover the body protection.

http://www.science.mod.uk/codex/issue2/Images/news7.jpg

I see 2 ways around this issue:

1. The filters decontaminate the surface and their connector head on contact with the mask. But that seems needlessly complex and you'll need to explain the mechanism.

2. The filters alternate operation and can replenish themselves when 'resting'. But you'd need to detail such a mechanism just the same.

This is intended to be a cheap mask to pull on just to provide some protection so you can get out of the area or survive while waiting for rescue, not necessarily to fight heavy chemical/biological threats.

Removed ability to change filters in a contaminated area,

Added life span of filters,

Added what the filters protect against,

Added line about it only protecting the face,

Removed the drinking ability (it isn't really necessary for this)

RPG-D RPGfix
Back