• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Ground Combat? (setting question)

ShotJon

I have a little question. I looked through the forums and I am probably blind or I couldn't find.
I just wanted to ask if in every infantry combat is used power armor or if there is still a good old infantry with bulletproof vest and assaul rifles. :D
It is clear that in ships corridor it's not good move with large combat so there I woudl expect normal soldiers, but what about when you are on the ground?
I am new to this setting and since I would liek ot play Marine it woudl eb nice to know if my charcter must be using power armor or can be normal trooper.

Thank in advance, I know this is probably stupid question,
Shot.

Solution
Currently there's no combat units in the SAoY that don't have power armor. What use would unarmored soldiers be in combat? Almost 100% of our enemies, allies, and/or potential enemies are using power armors for basically everything.
Light infantry do exist, though I don't think they are terribly numerous (and don't get much air-time). Most of the nations have massive industrial capabilities so pumping out millions of PA is not a big problem. The light infantry would be the rear-echelon troops I think, serving as the home guard and reserves. The PA are the front-line fighters.

A few years ago (OOC) they would have been more generally common but most of the nations have light PA now (including Nepleslia I believe) that can handle the role of close-in urban combat and boarding even in small places. Yamatai's PA have always been light models.

Edit: Some additional discourse here.
You would also find unpowered armors in use by noncombat personnel on warships (pretty much everyone not in the Infantry). It would be a waste of the sensor operator's time to train them in a PA but you would want them to have the option of a extra layer of protection if the ship was boarded. On front-line installations and ships that is the only role I see unpowered armors being used.

Might be a good time as any (since I doubt we're going to run out of people who might be interested in non-PA ground combat) to expand on the base nations non-PA fighting forces. I imagine that number is small (Yamatai), but still worthwhile and might restore some prominent items (flak vests) into a limelight. It'd also restore some importance to PA in a battlefield if it wasn't highlighted as the 100% option in almost every situation. Or, at least, make a bigger importance on non-heavy combat PA (since in reality you need both heavy and light-troops to have control of a battlefield properly. See AT squads accompanying rifle squads) and a bigger focus on variants for support/artillery/recon/so-on and so-on.

It should be noted I'm aware that some factions have armors for different roles... but this is more of a fact that it's not universal and nor does it help promote the idea that not everyone runs around in PA. It seems weird that we could produce a suit of PA for EVERYONE in the military, obviously =3=b

Currently there's no combat units in the SAoY that don't have power armor. What use would unarmored soldiers be in combat? Almost 100% of our enemies, allies, and/or potential enemies are using power armors for basically everything.

Solution
RPG-D RPGfix
Back